Well known personalities who have passed away recently (Renamed)

onetrack

I can still remember the film of Donald Campbells Bluebird getting airborne on Coniston Water at 300mph, and smashing to pieces. Apparently he failed to wait until the wake ripples from his previous run had settled.

I do remember Ken Warby, he was obviously one of the lucky ones or one of the more skilled ones. His son is trying to beat his Dads world water speed record.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-03/warby-prepares-for-second-world-water-speed-record-attempt/7877892

https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2022/01/26/david-warby-aiming-to-break-world-water-speed-record/

• 2 weeks later...

Another rock star has passed on - Lynyrd Skynyrd founding member and guitarist Gary Rossington has died aged 71. He was a survivor of the Convair CV-240 crash that killed 3 other members of the Lynyrd Skynyrd band on Oct 20, 1977. The aircraft ran out of fuel.

Gary Rossington survived a car crash in 1976 and endured many other health problems including quintuple bypass surgery in 2003. He suffered a heart attack in 2015, and had numerous subsequent heart surgeries, most recently leaving Lynyrd Skynyrd in July 2021 to recover from another medical procedure. I guess it's remarkable that he actually made it to 71.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-06/lynyrd-skynyrd-founding-member-gary-rossington-dead-at-71/102060102

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/03/2023 at 8:10 PM, onetrack said:

Another rock star has passed on - Lynyrd Skynyrd founding member and guitarist Gary Rossington has died aged 71. He was a survivor of the Convair CV-240 crash that killed 3 other members of the Lynyrd Skynyrd band on Oct 20, 1977. The aircraft ran out of fuel.

Running out of fuel - it makes you wonder how these things happen. The death of Stevie Ray Vaughn was a preventable tragedy. Visibility was down to less than 3klm, three helicopters took off, the last one flying lower and hit terrain soon after lift off. The pilot wasn't instrument rated, only in fixed wing. Such a great talent cut short.

• Agree 1

The only close to running out of fuel incident that I've had connection with was a one flight only temp pilot who flew our 206 from Toowoomba to Southwest Queensland. It was his first trip into any sort of outback country. I don't understand how people can get lost in daylight out there. Sure, there's bad areas that are featureless like some Great Sandy country west of the NT border, but most of it looks on the ground exactly like the map due to the lack of trees. Features stand out like a sore thumb.

The plane landed in the afternoon at Durham Downs bringing in a fresh crew change from Toowoomba. The crew returning home boarded and I got in a spare seat for a short hop to the neighbouring outstation, Karmona. The pilot didn't impress me; he had trouble navigating that short simple hop. I got out to pick up a truck and the others took off back to Toowoomba which was due east.

It was late afternoon and they passed Noccundra on their left, which should have been on their right if they were on track; it was on their left going out so should have been on the right going back. I'd say he was heading off course then while there was still daylight. Instead of going east, they went south east. About 9pm, he asked the blokes in the back if anyone had flown in to St. George at night and if those lights looked like St. George where they were supposed to refuel. One passenger told him it wasn't St. George, so being very low on fuel, he flew around in circles for a while looking for the airport.

Eventually he wanted to land on a road in the dark, but the blokes in the back weren't too keen on that, so talked him into having another look for the strip. They eventually found it and landed ok with almost no fuel left. When they were on the ground, they found out they were in Walgett, NSW. They stayed in a motel that night, and when boarding the 206 the next day, one cheeky bloke said to the pilot "Where are we off to today, mate?". They got to Toowoomba that day; the pilot got in his car and drove off and never came back. They said he was an airline pilot in his normal job.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Triple M Sydney star from the breakfast show of the 80's, "Uncle" Doug Mulray, has passed away aged 71. Cause of death not specified, but he had been ill for a number of months. Famous for being sacked on-air by Kerry Packer over an X rated video program he once aired.

doug_mulray.jpg.22547c681c4ec5f84bb5b2bde3413229.jpg

• Informative 1

An DAME here on the UK aviation forums I am a member of noted that celebrities and famous people have a disproportionately short life expectancy. This is mostly thanks to their lifestyle.

Margaret Urlich's death, who was a few years younger than me was a wake up call to me, even though, what I recalled she died of (breast cancer), is extremely unlikely to happen to me.. well, except for the man-boobs. 

Shane Tuck - the Richmond fottballer, and son of a Hawthorn legend, Michael Tuck took his own life. A gifted footballer who could have provided many years of entertainment to not only tigers supporters, but of the whole fan base. 

He took his own life.  Presumably, like Danny Frawley, from depression, Many people consider suicide not the same as dying of natural causes. I have seen the devastation of depression, and I consider suicide in these circumstances the same as any natural death. Shane Tuck, and Danny Frawley - I salute you. as I do the not so famous people who have died from the same affliction.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

31 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Comedians disproportionally suffer from deep depression…

So true Nev. There seems to be a sort of vindictive budget in the affairs of men; if one brings happiness to thousands, he must use up a disproportionate amount of his own.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

I reckon suicides come in 2 types...  The bad one is when a young person does it.

The good one is when an old person, one who has lived a long life, does it.

I get grumpy when these two distinct things get mixed up and added together.

The instructor who sent me solo killed himself on just about the last day he was mobile enough to do it....  he had motor neurone

disease and I have always felt that he had to choose a hard way because society was cruel and religious.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

I agree, Nev. I will try and find the where a young man and lady were found naked (not from clothes being burnt or torn off on impact) I think in the back seat of their light aircraft that crashed and killed them both.

I often read aircraft accident reports and think it can only be suicide.

To be honest I have thought that if I am afflicted with a degenerative disease I may go the same way while I can.  That was before assisted death laws though

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 2

Motor neurone disease is one of the most appalling diseases. The bloke in the workshop next to mine developed it shortly after I moved into my shop in Oct 1999. It took him 12 years to die, with increasingly reduced mobility, until he ended up virtually being spoon fed by his wife.

What was worse, the insurance company refused to pay out until he was actually dead, so the couple lived in increasing penury while he was still alive.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, facthunter said:

I think some U/L crashes are suicides…

Some of the road crash deceased recovered by my VRA team have definitely fallen into this category, others maybe. At least one deliberate attempt failed due to the safety features of the car. All caused lots of trauma to others, as well as considerable cost to society. 

There’s a lot more of it than the media lets on, perhaps for fear of the “copycat” effect.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

An ever great advance has been the progressive unwinding of the stifling, corrupting control of organised religion.

Do you think that is happening?

I would applaud it and hope for more progressive liberated thought.

But I see the happy clappers popping up in warehouses and marquee tents. They seem to thrive on mass hysteria.

Last week I signed a petition calling for religions to pay tax the same as other businesses but I doubt it will get a lot of traction.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1