This is scary - how AI is now even writing the articles you read

A I 

It's grear when your ' A I ' tv can commit suicide!  ! .

My tv died, But didn't really die , the 'brain ' does a fault check ( on start-up ) to make sure there's no fault in it's system.

IF,  it thinks there's a prooblem it shuts down !!!. 

SO , you throw that T V away & buy another .  What a waste ! , 

What would happe.without the ' brain ' bit, it could possibly be rectified by a factory reset ! .

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Producing a resume by AI might level the playing field for applicants. Companies are increasingly using Application Tracking Systems for filtering resumes, and a lot of good honest resumes are binned because they don't have the exact matching keywords in the correct places. Using AI to do a resume might please the bots enough so the resume makes it up another rung on the ladder.

There's a possibility all this garbage is why there are so many incompetent dickheads in the workforce these days. Bots writing resumes for bots.

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, red750 said:

I saw where university exams are going back to pen and paper because of cheating using AI. I wonder how many of them can write cursive writing.

It's easy to slip out of practice if you don't do cursive writing for extended periods. After years of typing on computer keyboards and slipping into a habit of printing when writing lists etc., I was surprised to find that I had forgotten how to write some characters. I had to be pro-active and make a habit of writing shopping lists and notes in cursive to get it back again. Handwriting is a dying art in the computer age.

I've also found that with a lot of computer use, my spelling ability has decreased quite a bit for some reason.

• Agree 1

pmc

Lucky you !.

When we got another new teacher , they had a New writing technique. 

So we kids never got to master Any type of writing .

Now , on a keyboard it is starting to flow ! , as it should have done at the learning stage of life , NOT at the Retirement stage .

As a lot of folk say ! , Iv'e learned far more after my  ' education ' .

We at our local school we learnt to Duck first , keep out of their reach & run fast .

But still had a couple of broken arms, not being fast enough .

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tried Chat GPT this morning, and got this:

image.thumb.png.9e56f07920b9e795017e670969c407a7.png

Now, of course, a private company is there to make money and they will want a return on their investment, which is fair.. As long as they keep a free version, then that is fine. For those internet content writers, etc that make money - I am sure they will happily pay. But it would be a shame for those stuggling to just payu for the internet connection to have to fork out over and above and miss out entirely.

• Informative 1

I couldn't believe how some other teachers used to mark kids on stuff they brought from home. Personally, I preferred to set questions with a numeric answer. If this was correct, then you would look back and see it there was another correct figure about halfway. If so, you gave the kid full marks and went onto another paper. ( sometimes, rarely, the kid could make 2 mistakes and wrongly come up with the correct answer)

This all would be done in an invigilated exam. Term papers were marked Pass/Fail but worth only 5% . Kids were encouraged to do them in a group, as long as they understood what was in the answer. Exam questions were mostly repeats of term assignments, with a hard unseen question for the top of the class.

Worked well I think. Thrown out by the bureaucracy of course, but they had no say till I retired.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The test papers even Now in our aviation .

ARE.

flawed !.

When asked '' what causes  ICING ''._( RAA ) , who would have thought , they meant a scientific ' answer , ( moisture in the air ). ' Weight & balance ' on a ' Jumbo jet ' .

I mean were Learning RAA ' light aircraft Certificate ' , NOT a PP  License .

I Will TRY again IF I get a Brand New SIRRUS SR22 . LoL

• Like 1

THAT

'' carby icing  '' . that was partly caused by the temperature reduction '' .

Is what I wrote on my test sheet.

'' blooody wrong .

Nothing to do with Tempreture .

NO ICING in the McMurdo Valley ,

''McMurdo Dry Valleys, located in the largest region of the Antarctic continent.  where the mean average temperature is below -15 degrees Celsius, '' .

AND

Darwin Must take the prize for the most ICING ''  Average humidity in Darwin (Northern Territory) · February is with 72.0% the most humid. · On average, July is with 38.0% the least humid month. '' .

So you see !. todays test paper's are still in the ' ancient world ' .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

Getting back to A.I.

It seems that Chat GPT is growing up.

Quote from MSN "news" ......

"

• Scientists from Stanford University investigated if neural networks like GPT-3.5 can master Theory of Mind (ToM) tests designed to analyze cognitive ability to predict the actions of others.
  • Results show that GPT’s ToM ability arrived spontaneously in the last couple of years and the latest iteration delivered results comparable to a 9-year-old human.

"While early versions of GPT-1, first released in 2018, scored poorly on the test, the neural network showed stunning improvement stretched across different iterations and spontaneously developed “Theory of Mind” capability of a 9-year-old human by November 2022 (the release of the latest GPT-3.5). Kosinski says this could be a “watershed moment” for AI, as the ability to understand and predict human behavior would make these engines much more useful."

.... the ability to understand and predict human behavior ....

There's a huge number of humans who don't have the ability to do that! - so I can't see AI being any better at it. Events such as gun fondlers going crazy and massacring people, simply can't be predicted - even though there may be a lot of warning signs of aberrant behaviour, no-one can ever say with 100% proof, that they successfully stopped a mass shooting from occurring by assessment and intervention.

• Like 2