This is scary - how AI is now even writing the articles you read

2.4 of those 2.6 seconds was the time it tool to get the text to the screen.

The reality is AI will be a great tool for the learning and development environment. I don't yet know of any deployments in the aviation sector, but, as developments and delivery follow the money, when the more proftiable sectors have been catered for, you can bet someone will come up with something for the GA and LSA sectors.,

Here is one of many interesting blog posts on the subject. https://www.hurix.com/role-of-artificial-intelligence-in-learning-and-development/

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

The place I want them to implement AI is in text captions on TV. Quite honestly, you cannot make sense of the crap they display. Talking about the Liberals stance on The Voice referendum, twice this morning they referred to Dutton as Dunn. If you didn't have some hearing, you'd have no idea what the hell they were on about. Can't display two lines without a stuffup.

BUT . There's the rub .

Practice exams are Not the problem . The problem is my bad teacher's have put the fear of god in me , then when I sit an exam my fear returns & my mind exits & I have the ancestral need to flee .

Then there's the case of being slow to learn & the bureaucracy changing the rules.

spacesailor

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, spacesailor said:

when I sit an exam my fear returns & my mind exits

Yet I bet if we were sitting down chatting, off the top of your head you could give me a full and professional briefing on ice formation in a carburettor. It's not a lack of knowledge in your case. It's written exam phobia.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

18 hours ago, spacesailor said:

BUT . There's the rub .

Practice exams are Not the problem . The problem is my bad teacher's have put the fear of god in me , then when I sit an exam my fear returns & my mind exits & I have the ancestral need to flee .

Then there's the case of being slow to learn & the bureaucracy changing the rules.

spacesailor

With exams for RAAUs certificate, the bar is set pretty low I think.  I recall failing the MET exam, mainly because it was sprung on me when I wasn't expecting it  and  i hadn't studied at all. No problem though I just re sat it the following week when I had studied and I passed it. As far as I know (and someone will correct me if I am wrong) you can just keep taking it until you do pass.

A more important consideration is can you afford to fly?   I quit flying 2 years ago.  I was faced with the choice to retire early but this would mean not having enough income to fly enough to stay safe.    I chose to retire and I don't regret it.  Perhaps the difficulty with exams is noy the only impediment.    

Spacey, if you cant fly yourself then perhaps a good course of action might be to find a mate who does still fly and who would be happy to let you tag along.  Of course they could not let you handle the controls.......!!!!!!!!!! (not legally anyway.)   I used to take an old guy flying who had been a RAF instructor in the 50s.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

octave .

Thanks BUT, I have tried to encourage our formulites to ' offer a seat ' but not one response. 

I am disappointed,  as my grandaughter has looked at booking a ' scenic flight ' over Sydney, ( after her tiff flight )

The price for one seemed a little cheap! ,. BUT TWO IS DOUBLE  & THREE was into the $1000s .

So , I wondered if I had written it wrong . I remembered a forum ' seats ' something. 

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor

43 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

I thought that to ' hire' the aircraft ( from Rotodyne.com.au ) and get a formulite pilot to fly the scenic Sydney trip , would have reaped many willing low hour pilots .

spacesailor

Why not book a trial instructional flight with a flying school?   Even when I was still flying I did TTFs  when on holiday,   Whilst in NZ I have done a couple of TTFs just for the fun of it.

This picture is from a flight I did with Kapiti district flying club in a Cessna 152

15577984_10154259025631985_7020543509114148293_o.thumb.jpg.6b78ecbb3844d6260f3cd4f849c3dbfd.jpg 

On another occasion my son and I both had a TTF in an RV12.   This picture is of my son who does not fly but he does the occasional TTF just for the fun of it.

43950363_10155932699341985_4603294734662762496_n.thumb.jpg.a32a47c06a91a0ed3b25c0ecc7628272.jpg

Life is too short to gripe about those things you may not now be able to achieve because of age or money or time. There was a time when I desperately wanted to own my own plane but I soon came to realize that it was not going to happen, at least not without making huge sacrifices that I don't think I was prepared to make.  I gave up flying a couple of years ago and people will often ask me if I miss it.   The answer is not very often.  I am too busy with other things and the money is more useful elsewhere.  Sometimes I think it would be nice to go back to my old flying club and take the plane for a spin but I am unlikely to get back into it.   I can still have aero adventures that do not involve so much cost.  Next week I am flying  in a Pilatus Porter and landing on a glacier in NZ (weather permitting)

Spacey, get yourself in the air even if only for 40 minutes once a year!

Edited by octave
  • Like 2
  • Informative 2

Like Octave, I gave up flying because I couldn't afford to educate  kids and fly frequently enough to stay safe. For a while I flew the minimum 3 hours in the 90 days prior to licence expiry so I could renew, but figured that wasn't wise. That was in 1986. Have not flown in a GA since, and never in a RAA type. Yes, I'd love to go up again at least once before I get my 'other' wings, but with my crook legs, I doubt I could get into a low wing. Getting into a car isn't easy, and I'd probably have difficulty in a high wing.

• Informative 1

Only ! Leg trouble .

try a ' collapsed disc ; then a hip replacement ! .

BUT   the worst is : I need a NEW  MEMORY CHIP  or I'll never get my wings . On my epaulets , that is ! .LoL

SO to fly I need someone in the pilots seat .

The cost of a '' joyflight for three is about the same as hiring that same aircraft ,  IF , I don't pay the pilot ,

I have tried to workout distance , hours , fuel use .

But

I could be Way out ,  Victor 1 , about two & a half hours , Bankstown & back . ( in a Cessna ) .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

What factors go into the cost of flying?

It can't be the capital expense of the aircraft. Very many aircraft are well past the time that they have depreciated to zero value as with other businesses do the equipment they use to make money. I still see an aeroplane flying that is recorded in my log book in the mid 1970s. An entrant for The Event is flying a type I remember as first arriving in Australia in 1970. That these aircraft are still airworthy is a result of the very high standard of maintenance that is demanded by the Regulations.

What about maintenance? Most of the cost of a  regular service is the cost of labour. It is usual for the cost of labour to represent 80% of the cost of a session of maintenance.

For a flight, again it is the cost paid for the time and skill of the pilot - 80%.

Then there are overheads - insurance, hangarage, licencing.

So the blame for the high cost of aviation can be placed firmly at the feet of high levels of wages in our society as a whole.

• Informative 1

I wonder how the costs of aviation today compare with the past.  It is a genuine question because I have no idea.   Whilst $15 per hour solo and $21 dual for rental of a Cessna 150 in 1970 sounds cheap it has to be calculated with regard to average wage of the time. 

30 minutes ago, old man emu said:

So the blame for the high cost of aviation can be placed firmly at the feet of high levels of wages in our society as a whole.

I guess higher wages also help people pay for participation in aviation.   It comes down to what percentage of your wage that is required per hour of flight -  then versus now.   

• Informative 1

Spacey, why not start with a more modest flight out at The Oaks?

https://www.srfc.org.au/the-fleet/flying-rates

Trial Instructional Flight $100

Our Trial Instructional Flights are only $100.

This will give you a 30 Minute hands on flying experience with an instructor on board. A TIF is designed to give you a try at Flying an aeroplane without spending loads of money locking yourself into a course. To learn more about a TIF visit our Flight training page

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Been there done that !. I flew the A22 Foxbat 24-5356  a lot .

I was the first stundent at 'Narromine ' to take a lesson , but was told only the no.,2

A big thunderstorm curtailed that lesson, & got on the ground Just intime to tie down properly .

Might give Daves a go , in the Jabiru's .

BUT

I still would like to see the Sdney habour from above .

spacesailor

22 hours ago, red750 said:

Like Octave, I gave up flying because I couldn't afford to educate  kids and fly frequently enough to stay safe. For a while I flew the minimum 3 hours in the 90 days prior to licence expiry so I could renew, but figured that wasn't wise. That was in 1986. Have not flown in a GA since, and never in a RAA type. Yes, I'd love to go up again at least once before I get my 'other' wings, but with my crook legs, I doubt I could get into a low wing. Getting into a car isn't easy, and I'd probably have difficulty in a high wing.

If you can get into a car, you can get in a high wing.

• Informative 1