This is scary - how AI is now even writing the articles you read

On 20/07/2022 at 5:41 AM, Jabiru7252 said:

A lot of stuff is described as 'AI' by naïve journalists etc. I developed a lot of software that would track objects, even against complex background clutter. There was no 'neural network, no machine learning, no training involved, which is common with AI. It was just using what's called template matching and some statistical analysis. I do wonder though, if our mind, our sense of self is just the result of electro-chemical processes in our brain giving rise to self awareness. If this is so, then could the same thing happen in a computer running very complex AI? Imagine being aware that you are 'alive' but happen to be an air-to-air missile with complex imaging and guidance systems based on AI. And being aware your only goal is to die by blowing up an enemy plane. True AI would be able to rewrite its own software to avoid such a situation.

I agree with most of this. At my previous gig, the quants said they had an AI algo to test one of their trading algos. It was complete BS - they had a huge decision tree stored in a database, and when it came across a different output, it added it to the decision tree..

On 20/07/2022 at 6:32 AM, octave said:

Believe it or not, this represents what real machine learning is.. sort of..

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I got a message to ring microsoft  security urgently as my identity was at risk. They gave me a number which I ( lazily ) used. When I got an Indian woman, I hung up and rang microsoft security with another number which I looked up myself.

This time, I got a normal sounding person's name and he sounded normal but after a short time I figured I was talking to an AI.

I'd be interested in jerry's opinion of whether or not I was actually speaking to a robot or not.

Anyway, I hung up ( funny how we find it easy to be rude to a robot) and called my bank to tell them to be careful about withdrawals from my account.

• Informative 1

Ahh.. the old security flaw in windows scam. Also beware, your windows licence will expire scam.. i

With respect to a robot.. they aren't really AI, but robotic process automation, of which, to be honest, the difference is subtle and more decision tree driven than AI driven, but they still need AI for voice recognition and natural language processing (NLP).

You may well have been talking to a robot - who knows? It is Microsoft ofter all 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Anyway, I hung up ( funny how we find it easy to be rude to a robot) and called my bank to tell them to be careful about withdrawals from my account.

Bruce, those scammers are usually trying to convince you to give them remote access to your computer. Their deal is to pose as a tech guy sorting out your problems, but once they have remote access, they scan your computer for any passwords, bank account details etc.. Most people are onto them well before reaching the point where the scammer is guiding you through the process to enable remote access on your system. If you haven't given them that remote access, there's usually no problem.

I've even had the idiots ring to say they were from Windows. The morons don't even know the difference between the name of the company and the name of the operating system.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, not only can AI write your areticles, but here is some AI writing code.. malicious code as it turns out.

Although the  presented states it is a chat bot, that is just the interface., Behind it is some serious AI... I don't know Swift, but the code looked more intelligible than most programmers write (myself included, when I was one!)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Microsoft used to have a program called FrontPage, where you created webpages like a Word document. I used it to create a training and reference intranet site for the company I worked for.  It converted all the text, formatting, graphics, etc., to code. I know there were other similar programs out there. You didn't have to worry about HTML, although I did learn that.

• Informative 1

FrontPage was designed as the editor for Internet Explorer. Conversely, Internet Explorer was the only browser that could render pages that used FrontPage Server Extensions correctly. In the early 2000s, the changing face of the web was starting to discredit Internet Explorer. This, and other changes to the way the web worked, had a knock-on effect on FrontPage. Combined, they eventually sealed its fate.

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, old man emu said:

I wish that there was software like this back in 2000 when I was making a website for my cricket club using HTML 4.

I dabbled in a bit of HTML years ago and found it a bit of fun for the challenge of creating something myself. It's hard work; thankfully now there's plenty of wysiwyg editors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willedoo said:

I dabbled in a bit of HTML years ago and found it a bit of fun for the challenge of creating something myself. It's hard work; thankfully now there's plenty of wysiwyg editors.

Like all things, it's fun to spend the dabbling in something new and to learn something new, but I'd rather have my drop saw to cut wood than the hand saw I learned to cut with when young.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That was an interesting article. I can see that sort of AI being useful in writing operating manuals. It would be a boon for the Chinese who have expressions in Chinese accurately translated to other languages 23 Chinglish ideas | engrish, funny signs, lost in translation.

It would take an AI program a heck of a lot of learning to produce something that was humorous because of punning, or to use the attributes of ancient mythological as descriptors in a 21st Century piece. Over the past century, how many of us have not been introduced to that sort of stuff. If you say that you haven't, you're not Robinson Crusoe.

• Like 1

STUPID A bloody  I . .

Went to prerecord a program on ' chann 7 @ 1745 hrs to 1845 hrs this Thursday ' ..( school's  spectecular )

BUT

It doesn,t work MY way , and  will only record the advertised program.

Will all know the the set times are wrong 9 times out of ten .

Cutting off the programs ending .

Bad A I  that does work to Human Intelligence. 

A pity my ' iron-ozide tape deck does Not record in H D .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

I have to save it for the child,s  ' granny ' ( my daughter  ) .

As she will be working .

Will  be in big trouble if I don,t sit & record everything. 

AND I GOT IT WRONG .

It,s Saturday 17 th ! 

" Schools Spectacular Creating the Magic " .

There,s more than one !.

BUT

Only the one with the 'Grandies ' in it .

Almost comitted suicide . LoL

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Hit wrong button
  • Like 1