This is scary - how AI is now even writing the articles you read

14 hours ago, onetrack said:

A mate has one of JC's mouth organs. JC threw it to the audience when he played in Perth quite a number of years ago. My mate was a great footballer in his earlier years, and he caught the mouth organ like a pro AFL veteran! 

Not quite as adventurous as your mate in the acquisition of it, but I've got one of Matt Taylor's old blues harps, autographed and signed to myself. And no, I'm not name dropping; he used to blow out quite few each year, so he would flog them off for $20 each at the end of a performance. Matt was down to playing at pubs at that stage and would pull out a bag of used harmonicas and a felt pen at the end of a show to make a few extra dollars. When I bought the harp he was doing a gig up here at a local pub with his former Chain band mate Phil Manning who lives locally.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I don't know what's involved with the voice clone technology, but some of the video deepfake technology is not as simple as the media make it out to be. If you believe them, we can all do it with a few mouse clicks, but the reality is, for it to be anywhere near believable takes a lot of time, skill, and an expensive computer setup. It's a few years now since that software mob put out that video of Obama talking. The video was Obama footage and the voice was cloned to sound like him, but they were another person's words. The software would manipulate the target person's facial expressions and movements in line with the cloned audio. Even the simple video face swap technology that puts another face on the original body is fairly involved to be any reasonable quality. People can do it online using Google's GPU but to do it offline would take a GPU worth a few thousand dollars, plenty of cooling fans and high end RAM and CPU capability. The training of the model can involve the computer working flat out for at least 24 hours, sometimes days on end to get a good result.

Maybe with all this work from home business going on, you could deepfake yourself to take a Zoom call from the boss, while in reality, you are off somewhere playing golf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I looked at that link (saved it to follow the  saga).

Noticed immediately  - right in themiddle the DT article - an ad for "Who Gives a Crap" !

Was it coincidence,  or just my warped sense of humour,?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was watching a show on the ABC called Invetigating Artificial Intelligence. They interviewed a guy involved in creatin a forerunner to ChatGPT. He said he downloaded all of Wikipedia, and others downloaded large chunks of data from the internet, and developed routines to use that information to create ChatGPT. The journalist conducting the program wanted to check the artistic capabilities of AI, so asked it to create a comedy routine. She then memorised the routine and performed it at a comedy club. Not a single laugh. Bombed bigtime.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

12 hours ago, red750 said:

The journalist conducting the program wanted to check the artistic capabilities of AI, so asked it to create a comedy routine. She then memorised the routine and performed it at a comedy club. Not a single laugh. Bombed bigtime.

Just an example of GIGO - Garbage in, garbage out.

The acceptance of a comedy routine by an audience depends on the cultural background of the audience. Would an Australian Millennial laugh at at one of Roy "Mo" Rene's efforts? Would they laugh at something Paul Hogan did? What about The Mavis Bramston Show? I don't find much wit in the work of some current stand-up comics, because I like stand-up that relies on wordplay - puns and the juxtaposition of ideas.

You also have the difference between the American idea of comedy and teh British. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Marty_d said:

Imagine the online scams when AI learns to properly mimic emotions. Online dating will become a thing of the past, you'll never know if that perfect person you're talking to / seeing in video and pics is real or not.

Nah, I'd go with..

"There's one born every minute".... or,

"There's no fool like an old fool".

Those scams will always be around.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Nah, I'd go with..

"There's one born every minute".... or,

"There's no fool like an old fool".

Those scams will always be around.

But seriously, even now you hear of "love" scams where fraudsters spend months building relationships with lonely people, manipulating their emotions so they think they've found a special connection, then urgently asking for cash for a medical emergency / disaster / whatever.

At the moment the fraudster has to put in that work for months on end.  Emails, photos, everything crafted to the person they're scamming.

If AI gains that kind of capability, one machine could be simultaneously "working" thousands of victims.  The fraudster sets it off then doesn't have to lift a finger.

That's a worry.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1