This is scary - how AI is now even writing the articles you read

I had a mate who offered to take me up. but then we lost contact. I'm not sure if he gave up flying. Last I heard, about 4 years ago, he was working in avionics. Many of you may know of him, he was a member on here. Went by the name of Robbo. He was the one who sugggested to Ian that I would be a good person to do the Aircraft profiles.

• Like 1

The ' scenic flight is what started my search for a willing pilot to be our chauffeur '

As you see one passenger is Cheap , two reasonable. but three is in the same price range as aircraft hire .

Who would have thought that a FREE aircraft hire would not be jumped at ! .

'' Piper warrior 11  .Ideal for commercial pilots building hours or private flying. $305 / hour Including GST '' .

Now that is cheap , but the extra's will bring it up to the same price as a triple pax flight .

My gran-daughter did a '' Redbull'' tif at '' Curtis Aviation Camden , and suggested another flight with Three passengers .

Only started her career as a ' Registered Nurse ' this year , so not a lot of spare money .

spacesailor

39 minutes ago, willedoo said:

Does anybody know if the Saario brothers still operate the An-2, last I heard they were at Lilydale doing joyflights and charters. I went up in it about ten years ago when it was still in Queensland, it was a memorable flight.

At Lethbridge I think

• Thanks 1

The An-2 is a great plane to go for a joyflight in, one of my favourite aircraft. Big and roomy; you could swing a cat around inside the cabin. I love the sound of the slow revving round engine which has the Cyclone 9 as it's ancestry. It just floats around the sky. I was looking forward to seeing the spring loaded slats on the top wing leading edge deploy on landing, but I was seated in the wrong position so missed it. I think they deploy at around 40 knots. The stall speed is not published in manuals but is believed to be in the 30's. My An-2 collection is limited - co-pilot seat, seat belts, parachute harness, control yolk, centre control panel with throttle and other sticks and a few gauges and that's about it. Gauges are common with a lot of other Soviet era aircraft. One day I might make a combined Antonov display and add it to all the An-12 junk I have. As well as the great big An-22 nose wheel. It's so wide, it stands up on it's own without falling over.

• Informative 1

I used to fly from Lethbridge and the AN2 was in the next hangar. The first time I saw the AN2 it was tied down outside.   I was not really familiar with the AN2 and because it was parked some distance away I thought I would go and have a look. In my mind it was a little biplane parked a short distance away but in reality it was an enormous biplane a long way away. 

10689755_10152398261786985_2849956501676805162_n.jpg

17546668_10154537433181985_8010029069816587648_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I think currently, the An-2 is the world's biggest biplane. They are still used in a lot of regional areas of Russia, particularly in Siberia, as air transport into remote areas. Also a lot of crop dusting and fertiliser spreading done in Eastern European areas. They have a built in fuel pump which can suck fuel out of drums carried in the back of a truck or ute; a handy feature for agricultural work. In a passenger configuration they can carry 12 passengers, but I think the yellow one is approved for nine. I don't know if the one in the N.T. is still operating, but it was only licensed for 6 pax. I think it was restricted due to it's age. The yellow one is a relatively newish plane. The father of the Saario brothers also had one in Finland.

• 3 months later...

Not anywhere near gravelly enough voice to sound like the real JC.

A mate has one of JC's mouth organs. JC threw it to the audience when he played in Perth quite a number of years ago. My mate was a great footballer in his earlier years, and he caught the mouth organ like a pro AFL veteran!  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1

Login to Trove and have a look at the content of newspapers 50 - 60 years ago. Pages of closely printed news from down the street to across the World. Pick up a newspaper today and you'll find pages of broadly spaced advertisements. Of course, we have a multitude of methods for disseminating news electronically, but when was the last time you read a well-researched and balanced article in a newspaper? 

I was in a hardware store today to buy a can of spray paint. The one I wanted was on a shelf over two metres above the floor level. Another customer joked that the cans were that high to prevent under-18s getting them to spray graffiti. My immediate retort was that under-18s wouldn't be literate enough to spray graffiti. Now I think of it, the graffiti that came to my mind was that type of witty stuff you used to see on the back of toilet doors. Graffiti nowadays simply consists of a stylised rendering of one's avatar. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2