Don't get me wrong here, But I LIKE Donald Trump.

Phil Perry

3 hours ago, kgwilson said:

I wonder if this was a decision by the military to counter Trumps attitude towards the other NATO countries saying they weren't contributing enough. The cost of this stunt with 65 year old aircraft is probably equal to the annual contribution of the smaller NATO members. Fuel capacity is almost 48,000 US gallons with a ferry range of 8,700 NM so they are thirsty beasts.

The fact that they are still flying is impressive. Their use as a promo probably not unreasonable as they are pretty big & slow at 440 knots so easy to spot. As a deterrent though they are almost completely useless unless they are carrying Nukes.

You could be right about it being a decision taken within the military. Trump's attitude to NATO has a lot of members nervous. Other NATO countries are supplying fighters to  accompany the bombers, so it will probably be a feel good show for them. It also comes at a time when NATO members are almost coming to blows with each other in the Mediterranean, so it might help remind them that they are all supposed to be on the same side.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, red750 said:

During a dull White House dinner, Melania Trump leaned over to chat with White House Attorney, Rudy Giuliani.

"I bought Donald a parrot for his birthday. That bird is so smart, Donald has already taught him to say over two hundred words!"

"Very impressive," said Giuliani, "But, you do realize he just speaks the words. He doesn't really understand what they all mean.”

"Oh, I know that," replied Melania, “But neither does the parrot.”

Good joke, but in order for people to suspend their disbelief, you'll have to reduce that word number.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

No longer any doubt that the once-great USA is on a rapid decline as a world leader:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/09/01/us-wont-join-global-coronavirus-vaccine-effort-because-its-led-by-the-who/#24ba49f65876

For decades, the United States has manipulated global organisations, from the UN to the World Bank; now that other countries are finally challenging that dominance, Trump packs up his toys and refuses to play with the other kids. 

Not so long ago America was the world leader; American scientists and philanthropic foundations led the world in helping eradicate disease and poverty. The Yanks could be counted on to send an aircraft-carrier task force to help with a distant humanitarian disaster. Now they can't even provide relief and protection for their own citizens.

Trump can never "Make America Great Again"- he is running it down the drain and vacating the field in favour of the Chinese Communist Party.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If everything goes well in November and Biden is the next president, he (or Kamala if he kicks the bucket) will have a lot of work to do to undo the stinking mess that the Clown has left.

Hopefully they'll manage and Trump's only footnote in history will be as the one-term idiot who tried to break America and failed.

1 hour ago, Marty_d said:

Hopefully they'll manage

Fingers crossed they will. With the tasks of trying to repair international relations and dealing with domestic issues, anyone could do better than Trump. Biden and Harris would probably achieve some success there. The only unknown is the field of world conflict and how beholden Biden and Harris would be to the war hawks and associated big end of town. As we've seen in the past, being a Democrat doesn't equal peace.

On a war mongering scale, Trump's record is a bit better than that of the Obomber administration. Trump's had a couple of hiccups - an illegal assassination of a foreign high ranking official. And then there was the illegal cruise missile attack on a foreign country resulting in civilian deaths, all justified by social media posts as evidence. On the plus side, he's had some weak, halfhearted attempts at withdrawing U.S. troops from conflict zones. All in all, over four years, he's mainly been just an obnoxious agitator and his overall war record is far better than his two immediate predecessors.

The big hope is that Biden and Harris can resist the pushers of war for dollars. Biden is long term establishment, so who knows how he stand on the war issue as president. It's a big job for Harris who will have to punch above her weight to make any change. I just hope the hawks aren't rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of compliant Democrat administration.

• Agree 1

And yet, if you carry out any crime against any American, they will chase you to the end of the Earth?? Just goes to show how the U.S. politicians are merely puppets of the Generals and CEO's of the Military-Industrial complex.

The U.S. firearms and weapons manufacturers are untouchable, the American economy thrives on firearm and weaponry production.

Eisenhower warned against the power of the M-I complex - but he had to do it in his farewell speech, he knew he wouldn't last 5 mins, if he spoke like that while he was still in power.

https://www.npr.org/2011/01/17/132942244/ikes-warning-of-military-expansion-50-years-later

• Agree 1

The Americans are still trying to build hypersonic missiles, but the Russians already have them. What is worrying is the huge buildup in Russian and Chinese military strength in the last few years.

Putin is a warmonger of the old order, and is pouring a massive amount of Russia's GDP into armaments, stating that NATO is their avowed enemy, and Russia will do everything in its power, to defeat any NATO attack.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/24/vladimir-putin-russia-weapons-089713

JOKE OF THE DAY.

Trump has a heart attack and dies. He goes to Hell where the Devil is waiting for him.

"I don't know what to do," says the Devil. "You're on my list but I have no room for you. But you definitely have to stay here, so I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I've got three people here who weren't quite as bad as you. I'll let one of them go, but you have to take their place. I'll even let YOU decide who leaves."

Trump thought that sounded pretty good so he agreed.

The devil opened the first room. In it was Richard Nixon and a large pool of water. He kept diving in and surfacing empty handed over and over and over, such was his fate in Hell.

"No!" Trump said. "I don't think so. I'm not a good swimmer and I don't think I could do that all day long."

The Devil led him to the next room. In it was Tony Blair with a sledgehammer and a room full of rocks. All he did was swing that hammer, time after time after time.

"No! I've got this problem with my shoulder. I would be in constant agony if all I could do was break rocks all day!" commented Trump.

The Devil opened a third door. In it, Trump saw Bill Clinton lying naked on the floor with his arms staked over his head and his legs staked in spread-eagle pose. Bent over him was Monica Lewinsky, doing what she does best.

Trump looked at this in disbelief for a while and finally said, "Yeah, I can handle this."

The Devil smiled and said, "Monica, you're free to go!"

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

The Americans are still trying to build hypersonic missiles, but the Russians already have them. What is worrying is the huge buildup in Russian and Chinese military strength in the last few years.

Putin is a warmonger of the old order, and is pouring a massive amount of Russia's GDP into armaments, stating that NATO is their avowed enemy, and Russia will do everything in its power, to defeat any NATO attack.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/24/vladimir-putin-russia-weapons-089713

It would be good if they all took a chill pill. With some of the newer weapons being developed, it's hard to see either side winning. With Cold War MK.2, it's the same old story book. Create an enemy, frighten your allies into spending more, then sit back and rake in the cash.

Nobody can really blame Putin for trying to defend his country; that's the job of any leader. To understand his thinking, it's best to look at a map of the NATO countries at the fall of the Soviet Union, and look at one now. Blind Freddy can see how it's going.

US and NATO antagonism doesn't help calm Putin down either. The Americans indulge in a lot of provocative behaviour during NATO exercises in countries like Estonia. The Estonian border is 150 klm. from Russia's second biggest city, St. Petersburg. In the past, U.S. armoured vehicles have been tearing around flying the Yank flag 400 metres from the Russian border in Estonia during exercises. At present, there is another exercise going on there which is drawing valid complaints from the Russian side. American artillery has moved to the NATO/Russian contact line in Estonia and is having live firing exercises. It's the first time they've had live firing exercises outside their permanent base areas.

So 150 kilometres from St.Petersburg, the US Army 41st. Field Artillery Brigade is banging away and people wonder why Putin want's to build defence capabilities. It's a no brainer. If he responds by sending a couple of infantry battalions to the area on exercise, Western governments and press all scream "Russian aggression!' Yeah, right. The Reds are coming. Everybody buy more U.S. arms. What a crock of shite. Can anybody imagine the uproar if the Russian Navy held live firing exercises 12 nautical miles off New York.

The truth is that NATO is outdated and needs to keep reinventing imaginary threats to ensure their existence. In the Past, Russia has floated the idea of joining NATO and been solidly rejected. Without Russia in the baddie equation, NATO would in a mad scramble to find another boogieman.

Edited by willedoo
  • Informative 1

Trump has finally lost the plot. He's accused the Pentagon’s top brass of starting wars in order to hand billions to arms makers.

Quoted from his Twitter:

"I'm not saying the military's in love with me. The soldiers are. The top people in the Pentagon probably aren't because they want to do nothing but fight wars, so all of those wonderful companies that make the bombs and make the planes and make everything else stay happy"

How absurd. What sort of moron would think that?

Edited by willedoo

1 hour ago, red750 said:

It's surprising the number of people here in Australia who still believe Trump is doing a great job and the Democrats are spreading huge false stories to discredit him and bring America down.

Really?

I've never met anyone in Australia who didn't think Trump was a raving lunatic and the Yanks had a screw loose to elect him.

After his election in 2016 I spoke to a number of people who thought he was the best thing for America in years. I've not met anyone in the past 2 or 3 years who thinks he is anything but a raving lunatic hell bent on destroying America so long as he looks good (to him) all the way through it. 

I was just reading a news article that said the Trump re-election campaign has already raised ... wait for it ... $1.1 BILLION - and the Trump re-election crew have already spent $800M of it!!

Trump claims he needed to spend that much to counter the "fake news" being widely distributed about him. That's a mind-boggling amount, and straight out of the Clive Palmer re-election strategy.

Trump has also said he will find whatever amount is needed to be spent to win the election. He's on record as saying he will tip in $100M of his own money into the election campaign, if it's needed.

With nearly two more months to go until Election Day (Nov 3rd), he's certainly either going to have to find more money, or cut back on electioneering costs.

Meantimes, the worker-peasants of Walmart get by on the minimum wage of $11 an hr, on average ...

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/us-election-fundraising-donald-trumps-campaign-has-spent-800-million/news-story/3ff237b569af5e5ad5a74a6eb3b14967

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/budget-and-spending/2018/01/11/what-living-on-an-11-minimum-wage-looks-like/109360122/

Edited by onetrack