Did you know?

red750

Some of the major actors on Hogan's Heroes were Jewish.....Robert Clary (LeBeau), Werner Klemperer (Col Klink), John Banner (Sgt Schultz), Howard Caine (Maj Hochstetter), Leon Askin (Gen Burkhalter). Robert Clary, John Banner, and Leon Askin were all actual survivors of the Holocaust. Werner Klemperer escaped Nazi Germany in 1933.

[ATTACH]49502._xfImport[/ATTACH]

654372016_RobertClary.thumb.JPG.4c282becb05f5afcf1434e8053e14b9b.JPG

• 5 years later...

Did you know... that James Arness (Marshall Dillon, Gunsmoke) and Peter Graves ( Jim Phelps in the CBS television series Mission: Impossible) were brothers?

James Arness dropped the U from the German family name Aurness, and Peter Duesler Aurness chose his grandfathers surname to aviod confusion.

• Informative 1

Did you know, or do you remember, Peter Graves played Christopher Cobb in the Australian TV series "Whiplash"?

Whiplash was a British/Australian television series in the Australian Western genre, produced by the Seven Network, ATV, and ITC Entertainment, and starring Peter Graves. Filmed in 1959-60, the series was first broadcast in the United Kingdom in September 1960, and in Australia in February 1961. English film companies had made a few movies in Australia during the 1950s - The Sundowners and The Shiralee. In all, 34 episodes were made with indoor scenes filmed at the Channel & studios in Sydney, and outdoor scenes at Scone, NSW, and Central Australia based around Alice Springs. The series was shown in Britain, the USA and Canada. For those who like to binge watch, the 34 episodes are available in a boxed CD collection.

Interestingly, Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek fame wrote several of the early episodes. 

• Informative 1

I remember a book I read as a young nipper When Cobb & Co was King, by William Lawson, in which the hero wants to become a coachman for Cobb & Co. The story recounts a number of his adventures, but one based on fact is the arrival of Cobb & Co's monsterous coach, called the Leviathan, into Melbourne bringing spectators to the Caledonian Games of 1860. (In the book it was to the Melbourne Cup).

http://www.frankmurray.com.au/the-leviathan-coach-1860

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

Skippy, the bush Kangaroo has a lot to answer for. I've got about 20 here and they are Bloody dangerous to dogs and Humans. Be careful of getting near them. Nev

Hint:

The more rootail stew you make, the less they bother you.

Unfortunately  I don't have any recipes for  possums or paddymelons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have to admit, I am not a fan of roo meat at all. I first has it in Melbourne years ago; too gamey and chewey, with not much taste as I recall. A few years later on a fleeting visit back to Aus, my now partner (then, girlfriend) and I went to Brown Brothers in Milawa for lunch (she finally learned how far we will drive for Lunch in Aus ;-))

While I am not the greatest fan of Brown Brother's wine, their epicurean centre dished up some fine food. On the day,  the menu contained a dish of roo. Despite being a wonderful cook, but not too adventurous, I advised her to go for any of the other dishes. But, noooo, she wanted to try the local cuisine (even when I explained to her about 95% of Australians would not have even heard you could get roo meat for human consumption at the time - so while the origin was local, it was hardly local cuisine). I, on the other hand, ordered some beef dish, which was very tasty indeed. Well, after her first mouthful. it was clear she had come to form the same opinion of me; and of course, she finished my dish and I had my second and final roo dish, ever.

About a year later, I was working int he Czech Republic (now Czechia). I was working at the Temelin power station, but staying at Czeske Budejovice (the origtinal birthplace of Bud Beer.. the yanks copied the brand or something). We had a bit of a "passionate" translator who one dayt instructed the driver to take a long way back to Czeske Budejovice from the power plant, and we passed by a lone ramshackle white building that looked all but deserted; with no buildings around it for what must have been a couple of kms. The translator said this was one of the few restaurants in the Czech Republic that served roo and suggested it for a dinner destination (we used to take the translators out for dinner as we could expense it). |I asked if he had ever tried it, and he said no as it was too expensive. I let him know it is used mainly for pert food in Australia. He was a little shocked, so we did dine there, and he understood why we don't generally eat it. I, on the other hand had a typical Czech dish, which is a cheaper cut of meat doused in a creamy dill sauce - that was to die for.

• Informative 1

I believe that roo is quite difficult to cook without ending up with leather. From what I have seen, it is very lean, so you would have to be working at the chicken heat and time range. Then, of course, what muscle do you eat? The back legs might be very tough. Perhaps you should only go for the muscle that runs along the spine. 

• Agree 2

All meats CAN turn out like leather (especially when I cook them).

I have had some really nice roo at a restaurant, and a fair bit of terrible roo. Even chefs can ruin it if they haven't  had enough experience  with it.

And, as OME said, they seldom tell you what cut is being served.

BTW  I would avoid eating any imported meat. There is too much scope for it to have 'travelled poorly'.

Roo in Europe? Not for me thanks.

• Like 2

I definitely had a deprived childhood. I have never seen an episode of Whiplash and didn't even know the series existed. However, we didn't get a TV until late 1962 (I was a young teenager and we were living in the city).

The program I remember most being entranced with, was an Avengers/Patrick Steed type individual in a show called "The Adventures of Hiram Holliday". He got into lots of amazing scrapes, beat all the baddies every time, and never even raised a sweat.

Maybe we didn't get Whiplash because the local TV stations wouldn't purchase the viewing rights.

Later on, from about 1966 (I moved to the country to work in 1965), we (brother, SIL and myself) acquired a TV, and as we were very rural, we could only get the ABC. So "The Avengers" then became a major favourite, and it was a disappointing night if one missed an episode of "The Avengers" because of work commitments, or impending rains.

We ate 'roo only when we couldn't afford to buy beef, or couldn't afford the time to travel a long distance to go to the shops (the joys of rural living). Can't say I was ever taken by the flavour of it, and we didn't eat it for long.

A "killer" sheep was easier to obtain and butcher, and tasted a lot better than 'roo.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

I detest rare-cooked meat in any form. Typical chefs forcing their ideas on us. I know what I like, and I know how I want it cooked - all you chefs can shove your raw, bleeding meat where the sun doesn't shine.

'Roos are notorious for parasitic worms, if you want to eat 'roo, it needs to be cooked enough to kill all the pathogens.

• Informative 1

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this:

Did you know?

There are solar-powered lasers installed in the Saudi Arabia desert to help guide the lost to water sources.

Hundreds of rescue missions have taken place throughout Saudi Arabia’s vast deserts over the years. The great majority of individuals who went missing were recovered within 24 hours. A few people were luckily recovered after living for days in the desert.

Only in 2020, 131 individuals went missing in various incidents while crossing Saudi Arabia’s deserts. They were either unprepared for or unaware of the desert’s hazards. According to records, 20 individuals died from hunger and thirst as a result of being missing in the deserts, but 100 of them were found to be in fine health, while 11 other cases remain unknown.

So, to avoid the hazards that occur in deserts when people miss the directions and to guide the lost people, Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture have installed solar-powered laser lights at water sources in Al Jouf Province and the desert of Nafud, north of Hail.

F9dJtyoXYAABvfA.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 3