Did you know?

red750

It's near impossible to trace a Muslim's ancestry. A lot in Indonesia have only one name and others have the patronym as a second name. Osama bin Laden only tells us that Osama's father's first name was Laden. His father would have been Laden bin (insert whatever Laden's father's first name was). Traceability goes nowhere.

• Informative 1

Back in the early days of PC when there were constabulary duties to be done, to be done, it lessened the risk of complaint by asking for a person's family name, then given name. That's why it seems that calling out "Hoy, Nguyen, stop right where you are", resulting in a vision of a game of Statues.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Back in the early days of PC when there were constabulary duties to be done, to be done, it lessened the risk of complaint by asking for a person's family name, then given name. That's why it seems that calling out "Hoy, Nguyen, stop right where you are", resulting in a vision of a game of Statues.

Plus, it's less embarrassing than asking if anyone has seen Mike Hunt.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, willedoo said:

It's near impossible to trace a Muslim's ancestry. A lot in Indonesia have only one name and others have the patronym as a second name. Osama bin Laden only tells us that Osama's father's first name was Laden. His father would have been Laden bin (insert whatever Laden's father's first name was). Traceability goes nowhere.

Yep,

remember in Africa meeting a lot of people named Sar - literally meaning second born from memory

• Informative 2

I'm not sure if the four main Balinese names mean the position born or whether they are just allocated to a position. From memory the first born is Wayan, then Made, Nyoman, Ketut, Wayan #2, Made #2, Nyoman #2, Ketut #2 and so on. I never ran into any number threes; that would require nine kids to start on the number threes. I guess it saves having to buy a book of baby names to make a selection, and the names are dual gender.

• Informative 1

The first time I encountered a Balinese telling me quite proudly that he was Wayan number one, I thought he had tickets on himself. I eventually found out what it meant. There's more status attached the higher up the ladder you are born, so the first born are quite proud of the fact.

• Haha 1

Did you know that the government rings me up every couple of months to make sure I'm eating my oranges.

The Queensland Government health department runs an optional 'way to wellness' programme for people who are on the waiting list for elective surgery. The idea of it is to help people with advice on nutrition and exercise so that they are in a reasonable state of health by the time the surgery happens. If you opt in, it starts with an online questionnaire followed up by a phone call to discuss a plan of attack. Then they send an email with the plan which is a combination of their suggestions and your own ideas. After that, it's just a regular series of calls to make sure you've been a good little vegemite and followed the plan.

I think it's a good idea, particularly for those people living alone as it adds another layer of motivation having someone else involved in the process.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

That's certainly an excellent idea. But like all "programmes", the results must vary, according to the enthusiasm of participants. I find that a lot of people who are in poor shape are just too bloody lazy to get out of their own way. Living well on your own requires a particularly tough, independent mindset, that doesn't generally match well with others trying to tell them what to do.

• Informative 1

In this particular programme they are not pushy and are a very benign presence. I think it's fairly new and they are just feeling their way with it. They seem to make a point of trying to tailor it to each individual. If it stays that way it will be ok. The problem with pushy bureaucrats is that they push people away.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

How many ' oranges ' do you get a month .

Can we new south Welshmen,  get some too.     

spacesailor

spacey, maybe we can send some Queensland bananas down to you (bent ones).

• Like 1

It'll be a month or more before we see fresh oranges off the orchards.

Willie, this system of preparing patients for surgery seems to be something that many doctors practice, but this is the first time I've heard of it being carried out by a Health Dept.

SWMBO had both her knees replaced in 2008 and the Doc was very good with a programme of surgery preparation. She was 100% dedicated to the surgery being a success and lost 10kgs in weight as part of the preparation - even though the Doc didn't insist on it.

Her knee replacements were 100% successful, and have given her a nearly normal life since that date - before, she was just one small step away from a wheelchair.

We had to limit her walking to about 50-80 metres at a time before the surgery, and the pain levels were constant and wore her down. Since the surgery, she's led a pretty normal life, and any pain is minimal.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I happened to watch a segment on the ABC program Landline about the Darwin grown jackfruit. The jackfruit is the largest tree fruit, reaching as much as 55 kg in weight, 90 cm in length, and 50 cm in diameter. It was claimed that freshly ripened jackfruit can be used for desserts, and tastes like a combination of banans and pipneapple and is sweet enough not to require sugar. More mature fruit can be pulled apart and cooked to provide a substitute for meat which can be used in buns like a hamburger, suitable for vegans. 

jackfruit01.thumb.jpg.2429a46af0a49cda70e8ce0a3eebdffb.jpgjackfruit02.thumb.jpg.ed30c4f10af7d61fbebb53cea1528911.jpg

• Informative 2

I heard.

Anything in a bun without ' meat' Is good for Vegans 

& vegetarians. 

The same cannot be said about meat eaters .

Lettuce, beetroot & tomato doesn't make a " hamburger " .

no sheet my daughter once said .

& demanded her money back from " maccas " .

That was an ' eye opener ' for me .

spacesailor

• Haha 1

We went into the National Hotel in Fremantle one Sunday, looking for a place to have lunch. They have an open rooftop dining area, which is on top of the 3rd floor.

Despite being an old heritage hotel, it's been modernised and has a lift to all floors. We went up to the roof and wasn't impressed with the crowd, it was packed.

So we decided we'd better eat elsewhere, as it looked like a fair old wait to get served, and to get a meal. So we went back to the lift and pressed the "down" button.

About 20 seconds later the lift arrived, and the doors sprang open rapidly - just in time for us to catch the young waiter pinching chips off someones plate of food he was delivering!! :cheezy grin:

I reckoned it probably was a good thing we picked somewhere else to have lunch!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...