Did you know?

red750

I arrived in Abu Dhabi on a Sunday evening, from memory, for a Monday morning start. The UAE is one of the more "progressive" areas of the Middle East, I was told, but of course, all things are relative. It was a complete eye opener for me. But that is a-whole-nother story.

I arrived at the hotel and met the systems engineer I was replacing for two weeks while he went on holiday. Up to that stage I had never had the slightest intention of going to the Middle East; That and two days in Kuwait have convinced me never to return, despite the historical and ancient cultural artifacts and, indeed, societies there.  I digress again.

Anyway, after checking in, I call the system engineer who lives in this hotel as his posting was only 6 months. We meet at the hotel lobby and then take the only seats available on the hote bar/auditoriumy thing. I looked around, and I would have estimated around half of the tables (and there were quite a few) were frequented by locals - easily identifiable. I noticed that only those tables seemed ot have menus, and there was one menu per person on the table; all staning upright on the edges of their folded pages. I mentioned it to my colleague, and his response was to wait a minute and I'll understand why. Sure enough, not 10 seconds later, a hand pulled a glass of beer hidden within the foid of the menu, took a drink, and placed it back. I mean, why wouid they bother admitting they are breaching their religion; it's not like no-one knows.

There were liqour outlets for the non-Muslim ex-pats, and there was a licensing, system, where, depending oin your senioroty as an ex-pat, you were licensed to purchase a certain mount of alcohol per month. Another colleague showed me one of these outlets and explained that there are certain cars that turn up, and the boots are loaded with booze by staff, yet there is no interaction with people in the car who do not disembark to pay, or anything. Sure enough, I did see it happen, and they were long white limos and while I can't definitely say it was some local, we sort of knew it was.

I have to say, I preferred Kuwait, because at least publicly, they seemed to abide by their laws.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now here's a serious topic - did you know that 1,004,737 Ford Anglia 105E's were made. And that despite the British TV series Heartbeat being set in the 60's with 105E police cars and a Francis Barnett 198 police bike, the series started in 1992 and ran to 2010.

heartbeat02.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

My dad was issued an Anglia by the PMG. The techs went on strike because the cars had poor brakes due to porus brake master cylinders which, when they failed,  were replaced by similar ones from the same supplier with the same result.

The news media reported the strike as being a demand for higher wages. Some things never change.

I think of that saga when I see the flying Ford Anglia in a Harry Potter movie.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I have a terrible memory seared into my brain of being beaten at a major traffic-light drag, whilst driving my unbeatable EH Holden 179 ute - by a bloody 105E ANGLIA! It was only later that we found out that he'd re-powered it with a hotted-up grey Holden motor!!  :crying:

• Like 4

I can remember meeting up with the Anglia owner and looking at the grey Holden motor in the Anglia, but I can't recall the fine details as to whether he'd hacked into the firewall to make it fit. I do recall it was a VERY tight fit. It was 1966, so a long time ago now, and the memory cells are getting a bit fuzzy.

• Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...