Did you know?

red750

1 hour ago, pmccarthy said:

Both of those measurements use an artificial measurement system developed by humans recently. Any correlation is pure fantasy.

It is true that Northings and Eastings are human constructs, but the angles for Northings rely on the the Great Circle that is equidistant from both poles, so that is sort of fixed if your method of determining position of the North Pole is based on an alignment with a distant star.

On the other hand, the angles for Eastings are simply dependent on who decides where the Great Circle representing the zero point is located. By convention, that one is the one that passes through the Greenwich Observatory grounds.

The Home Of Time - The Royal Observatory Greenwich - YouTube

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClintonB said:

is the time different on the left and right side of the line?

No, because Britain uses the time zone based on the zero degree meridian. The time Zone extends 7.5 degrees to the east and to the west, with bulges to take in Northern Ireland, Eire and Greenland.

A second before noon on the two equinoxes the sun strikes the right hand side of this line, then it hits the middle of the line exactly at noon and finally, a second after noon, it hits the left hand side

image.jpeg.f51282353d860d76aac3ab805722374c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

8 hours ago, nomadpete said:

So reassuring to see that somebody had the presence of mind to instal an expansion joint between the two sides of the time line.

Was that to allow for leap yeas?

Allows for continental drift...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A while ago I asked if anyone knew of an IFR route coming northwest out of Sydney and making a right hand turn in the vicinity of Gilgandra. I got onto the Flightradar 24 site and searched when I heard a heavy overhead. I found out that around 9:30 am, the 9:00 am Korean Air flight to Seoul is the one making the noise. There are several other flights during the day, and the ones that take this route are all heading to China or Korea. 

It seems that they come out of Sydney, hang a right near Gilgandra and overfly Walgett before heading towards the western coast of Cape York.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Maybe the aircraft I see ARE going to Antarctica? I read where the Chinese are going full speed ahead on more Antarctic bases, they're building their 5th base there. Probably military installations, knowing the Chinese.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Most of us have heard or used the word 'disgruntled' to indicate unhappy, but did you know the little used opposite word 'gruntled' is a recognised word in a number of dictionaries, meaning 'made happy'.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

2 hours ago, red750 said:

Most of us have heard or used the word 'disgruntled' to indicate unhappy, but did you know the little used opposite word 'gruntled' is a recognised word in a number of dictionary, meaning 'made happy'.

I'm gruntled to learn that.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

Maybe the aircraft I see ARE going to Antarctica? I read where the Chinese are going full speed ahead on more Antarctic bases, they're building their 5th base there. Probably military installations, knowing the Chinese.

Next time you see one, just go to flightradar24 and click on the plane that's going over you. It'll tell you the rego, what it is, where it started,  where it's going, how long into the flight, ground speed, altitude and probably the results of the pilot's last prostate exam.

• Informative 1

Did you know Johnny Cash's real name is J.R. Cash. His mother wanted to call him John and his father preferred Ray, so they compromised and named him J.R., the name he grew up with. When he joined the Air Force, they wouldn't accept initials as a christian name, so he adopted the name John R. Cash.

• Informative 2