GRIPES

Phil Perry

My mother (about to turn 91) has the dubious honour of being the most medicated person in her old folk's home.  24 different pills every day, I think.  Some of them for years.

• Sad 1

I use to get bad gout, painful bloody toes.

My two half kidneys just had trouble with the uric acid.

Solution was do not drink shitty Australian beer eg VB etc.

They are chockas full of preservatives that create exceed acid.

The red Peroni - Italian,  drink has zero shit by law like German beer, just hops, barley and water.

Since changing I have had no gout.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

7 minutes ago, red750 said:

One cup of coffee per day,

Coffee has many health benefits (but not so much if it is instant or loaded with milk and or sugar.)

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/the-health-benefits-of-coffee

Health benefits seem to peak at 3 to 4  cups per day. Coffee contains phenolic acids which are very good.   Believe it or not, coffee is high in dietary fibre.  Most of these benefits are lost in instant coffee as well as taste.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

17 minutes ago, red750 said:

I don't drink beer, wine spirits, soft drink. Even given up mineral water. One cup of coffee per day, water or juice.

Same here Peter. A couple of glasses of juice, maybe a coffee, and all the rest is water. Just over five years now since I've had a beer or thirty.

• Like 1

buying a new house...
I hate dealing with real estate at the best of times.

only industry I know where the price isn't the price

anyway settlement was meant to be Friday

got a call yesterday to say the Tenant hasn't moved out - and wants 2 more weeks.

keep in mind id already moved settlement back because apparently no one on their side checked a calendar to see what notice had to be given or that the new date they proposed was a public holiday.

I didn't even know it was tenanted till they sent through the contracts - which is why I made sure that everything was subject to it being vacant.
the grubs still tried to see if I would settle while the tenant was in place. or if I could move it back 2 weeks.

(i physically cant. need to be out of my place next weekend. its the only place on the street not being demolished yet - and holding up a government project. - they aren't going to renegotiate vacancy dates)

what a stressful few days.
still have no idea if it will settle next week - but my conveyancer is the solicitor who took care of my place being compulsory acquired by the government and is on it - so they better have everything ready, as he is like bringing a cannon to a knife fight.

• Informative 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, spenaroo said:

buying a new house...
I hate dealing with real estate at the best of times.

only industry I know where the price isn't the price

anyway settlement was meant to be Friday

got a call yesterday to say the Tenant hasn't moved out - and wants 2 more weeks.

keep in mind id already moved settlement back because apparently no one on their side checked a calendar to see what notice had to be given or that the new date they proposed was a public holiday.

I didn't even know it was tenanted till they sent through the contracts - which is why I made sure that everything was subject to it being vacant.
the grubs still tried to see if I would settle while the tenant was in place. or if I could move it back 2 weeks.

(i physically cant. need to be out of my place next weekend. its the only place on the street not being demolished yet - and holding up a government project. - they aren't going to renegotiate vacancy dates)

what a stressful few days.
still have no idea if it will settle next week - but my conveyancer is the solicitor who took care of my place being compulsory acquired by the government and is on it - so they better have everything ready, as he is like bringing a cannon to a knife fight.

Real estate agents =parasites bottom feeders. I recently asked for my house to be appraised for selling the price yhey fave me was 100k lower than the next agent and tjey wanted me to pay for the pics i asked what are you doing for me all they want is a quick sale and upwards of 25 grand for doing very little they are the worst parasites fxxk them i will sell it myself

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

You would think the selling agent should be primarily working in the seller's interest, but that's often not the case. These are some of my observations of the bad ones:

When they roll up to your property for an initial inspection, if you have any nous at all you can recognise the questions they ask you to gauge how much of a sucker you are.

For most of them, it's in their interest to drive your price down so they get a quick sale and commission. A lot of agents work on turnover to make a better profit in the long run. For example, you might want $800,000 for your house which would be about $24,000 commission. If they can get you to drop the price by $100,000 for a quick sale, they only lose $3,000 and don't have the bother of spending more time and effort on the sale.

One tactic to try to get your price down is to bring buyers around for an inspection, knowing that those buyers would show little interest in that particular property and are not suited for it. After doing this a few times, they tell the seller that viewers have really liked the property, but it's a bit out of their price range. Then comes the B.S. - "if you drop it to xxx, it will sell for sure".

Open days - there has been occasions (particularly in boom times) where an offer has been made early in the day at an open day that the seller is happy with. The agent gets the seller aside and talks him out of accepting, telling him he can get a lot more. The reason is that agents do a lot of networking at a busy open day. The more viewers through the gate at an open day, the more contacts and phone numbers the agent gets. A lot of those potential buyers still have to sell their own house and the agent can pick up more business there.

A lot of agents dabble in real estate speculation themselves. They are always on the lookout for a sucker who will sell cheap so they and their mates can do something to make good money on it. Some work in with a builder, go halves in the house, renovate it and resell. Others work in with people who are house flippers. They set up a shelf company, buy the sucker's house cheaply and then do their thing.

I could go on, but there's a limit to how long you feel like discussing scumbags. Having said all that, I've met a small minority of good agents.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

With the current high demand for houses, I wonder if you could simply consult a conveyancing mob to find out what is needed to complete the sale paperwork, then simply stick a For Sale sign on your front lawn and wait for the buyers to knock on your door.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Oh I have grubby real estate stories too....

had looked at a few properties while in the contract cooling off period.
was straight up with all the agents as I walked through the door - it was only a back-up as the cooling off hadn't ended.

and I wasn't interested in backing out of the current purchase agreement

had one unit - where the agent refused to say the expected price ("what do you think its worth.").

then when I finally got him into giving the "ballpark" said he had offers of mid 400's and was negotiating with the parties. offers only open for that day blah blah

anyway, he called me a week ago (6 weeks later) asking if I was still interested etc...

and driving past the property still has all the signs up. which is strange as most properties in the area/price don't last a week.

I dont think it was the property that was the issue... ticked all the boxes

(honestly have 5 offers in before the open, usually cashed up investors - agents that actually follow up would normally say the vendor took a cash offer - where mine was subject to finance)

I think real estate is the new "finance bro's" with the fake it till you make it, and lack of ethics.

it attracts a certain type of people.

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

What other job allows you to make $20,000 plus, just by a little basic marketing, when demand far exceeds supply?

It's almost risk free and even makes money on a downturn.

No wonder it's a feeding ground for vultures.

Ethical dealing in real estate is a fiction, the games rigged and the buyer/seller gets screwed.

Marketed by the owner is a great move if you can do smart marketing and negotiation. You are after the best price and no bullshit.

A friend does drone and video footage for agents/ private sellers etc. it gives 360 views in and outside the home for a website. 

That does a lot of the marketing at far better quality than a normal agent will do and a fraction of the cost. The rest is done by the owner.

A sign out the front is good but only works if you drive by, rather than a web search.

The more people who know about the property and can view it online virtually,  the higher the competition to buy and thus a better price. The market now is global.

The faster a agent sells means the owner gets screwed for their fast buck.

• Like 2

Over here, we have purplebricks - a self-sell website https://www.purplebricks.co.uk/

It is starting to do OK as previously, it was something like £400 to advertise, but now it is free, but they will sell you add ons.. It is still a long way off the other sites, most of which are owned by the equivalent of the real estate institute and that is because we are all indoctrinated to knowing we need an agent to sell a property.

• Informative 2

We do have the "For Sale by Owner", and "No Agent Property" groups here, but they're constantly under pressure from Real Estate groups, seeking to get rid of the websites and groups, claiming they're illegal, non-compliant with a raft of regulations, etc., etc. SWMBO is a former real estate agent, and she knows the ropes inside out.

https://www.forsalebyowner.com.au/

https://www.noagentproperty.com.au/

OME, the only "hoisting" she was around was from the lecherous males she worked with, who constantly saw an attractive divorcee as "fair game", and they all wanted to hoist her skirt.

SWMBO has a keen BS detector, and a "hidden aims" detector, that is always on high alert. She was always amazed at the approaches of the married men though, who were true Lotharios.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Litespeed said:

A sign out the front is good but only works if you drive by, rather than a web search.

Signs also give thieves an excuse to be on your property casing it. If the owner show up and finds them in the yard, they say they are potential buyers, saw the sign and thought they'd come and knock on the door.

• Informative 1

One of the more expensive parts of the advertising package that a lot of agents offer is advertising on realestate.com.au. It seems to be the main site buyers go to. It's one of the most user friendly sites; some of the others are a bit clunky.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1