GRIPES

Phil Perry

Gripe:

Remember back in the day when your parents forced you to write the occasional letter to distant grandparents? You couldn't phone them a lot because trunk calls cost so much for a short time.

Nowadays our kids and  grandchildren have access to rapid communications systems like email, Messenger, texting, and even instantaneous voice and video. They never seem to be more than an arm's length away from portable communication devices with continuous connectivity to telecommunication systems. Why then don't the bastards contact you at least once in while?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Why then don't the bastards contact you at least once in while?

I think an important ingredient in maintaining a connection with younger members of your family is the make sure you are the kind of person that they want to communicate with.  Being a grumpy old curmudgeon doesn't really encourage contact.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, octave said:

Being a grumpy old curmudgeon doesn't really encourage contact.   

How do they know I've turned into a grumpy old curmudgeon since moving up here if they don't have any contact? 

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Because they  don't NEED you ( they think.).  Nev 

Calls to mind the old saying, "those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat its mistakes".  They think they know "fuck everything", but know "fuck all".

Well, I'm going down to see them this week. So as not to be too much of an inconvenience, I've cut my visits to as short as practicable for what I need to do. I really wanted to celebrate my daughter's 40th birthday, but apparently seeking a position on the local P&C committee is more important. I suppose I'll just have to keep the memories of that day forty years ago to myself, because I can't share them with her mother.

• Sad 1

Just now, old man emu said:

How do they know I've turned into a grumpy old curmudgeon since moving up here if they don't have any contact? 

To be clear I am generalizing and not specifically referring to you.    

• Informative 1

Speaking from the other side,  life gets bloody busy when you have kids.

I try to get my mother down for lunch once a fortnight,  but that's about the extent of our contact. 

• Agree 1

I still see my Mum about every week. That's the best part of moving up here. I can try to make up for 40-odd years of not being around. Also I can take a bit of the burden off my sister who has been running around for Mum for years.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

This , was a secret. 

You have kids , You baby-sit .

Your kids have kids , you baby-sit your grand-kids

Your grand-kids have kids .

and suddenly  .

Your all alone , as your kids are babysitting Their grandies  

Laugh not . it happened to the wife & I .

spacesailor

PS : the oldest greatgrand children  are teenager's .

OLD ENOGH TO START THE FIFTH  GENERATION  .

Edited by spacesailor
A little more !
  • Informative 1

From Wikipedia:

A multiple pregnancy may be the result of the fertilization of a single egg that then splits to create identical fetuses, or it may be the result of the fertilization of multiple eggs that create fraternal ("non-identical") fetuses, or it may be a combination of these factors.

Each fertilized ovum (zygote) may produce a single embryo, or it may split into two or more embryos, each carrying the same genetic material. Fetuses resulting from different zygotes are called fraternal and share only 50% of their genetic material, as ordinary full siblings from separate births do. Fetuses resulting from the same zygote share 100% of their genetic material and hence are called identical.[1] Identical twins are always the same sex.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1