GRIPES

Phil Perry

1 hour ago, red750 said:

My gripe of the day is those nitwits who post everything they do on soshul meja.

I only see what my friends post and I do cull my friend list regularly if I don't enjoy what they post.    I don't stay friends with nitwits  Life is better when you take control.  FB is not compulsory and I control what I see.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2024 at 7:33 PM, Bruce Tuncks said:

Spenaroo, I looked up "democracy in Sierra Leone and it is not a nice place...   female mutilation, police bashing the opposition, etc. I guess it is as close as blacks can come to a democratic country?

poverty and war will do that.
they still don't have running water and power to most of Freetown (the capital)

(I don't think much would have changed since i lived there in 2012?)

there just isn't any money for infrastructure - to replace what was lost in the civil wars

its changed my views on Immigration.
Everyone seeks to move to a 1st world nation and then bring the family over.
I cant blame them... but at the same time they have this recurring generational poverty because of it.
as unfortunately anyone who is educated and in a position to make a difference - moves out the country.

and then there is the Indians - coming over with the ability to create businesses, which sounds like it would be beneficial.

but they send the money earnt back to India ripping it our of the country for further investment. and don't employ locals

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, spenaroo said:

and then there is the Indians - coming over with the ability to create businesses, which sounds like it would be beneficial.

but they send the money earnt back to India ripping it our of the country for further investment. and don't employ locals

That has been the same for the Greeks, Italians, Indoesians, Vietnamese, and Turks in Melbourne byt he time I left in 1996. It usually lasts only one generation.. Heck, when I moved to the UK, I used to send money back to Australia, but these days, the place is so broke, I am thinking about sending money back from Aus to here.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

That has been the same for the Greeks, Italians, Indoesians, Vietnamese, and Turks in Melbourne byt he time I left in 1996. It usually lasts only one generation.. Heck, when I moved to the UK, I used to send money back to Australia, but these days, the place is so broke, I am thinking about sending money back from Aus to here.

I agree,

but bit different sending money from a wealthy country, compared to one that really needs outside support.

• Like 1

I would argue that historically, when pollies here had a shred of integrity, it could be  that the House if Lords were no less effective than elected Upper Chambers. But recent acts of political vandalism by what has become a populist government has blown that argument up on a continuing basis.. well, they did send the Rwanda bill back to the Commons but for the wrong reason

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

As every day passes, I'm becoming more of a grumpy old bastard. I currently have two gripes.

1. Judges.

O.M.E. will no doubt have something to say on this, but what is wrong with judges? Day after day we see criminals let loose on the street. This week, a judge in Victoria released one of the ring leaders in the tobacco wars which have seen more than a dozen tobacconist/vape shops firebombed, risking lives. Why? So the bastard can attend drug rehab. Let the sod go cold turkey in jail. When somebody breaks the law, especially repeatedly, they should forego all human rights. The rest of us have to live within the law, why should they be given special consideration. The police opposed bail on the grounds that he was at risk of reoffending. How are they going to monitor him? With a bloody watch! Bring back the death penalty!

The safest place for us is in jail - all the crims are on the street. 

2. Councils.

For 40 years, our rubbish bin has been collected between 11:00 am and midday. There are overnight things we include in the bin, such as cat litter. Today, without notification, the bin was collected at 6:15 am. I woke up to see the flashing amber light reflecting on my bedroom door. No opportunity to put the rubbish in the bin and put it at the kerb. So we will have a bin full of stinking rubbish waiting another week. 

Also, when we had to vacate our former Men's Shed accommodation, the council said "We have an empty building you can use." That was July 2022. We are still waiting. It needs work doing to meet regulations, which we are required to pay for, but we are not permitted to do, or organise professional tradespeople, we HAVE to use their contractors, no doubt at the highest cost. At the current rate, we will be lucky to be in by Christmas.

1 hour ago, red750 said:

It needs work doing to meet regulations, which we are required to pay for, but we are not permitted to do, or organise professional tradespeople, we HAVE to use their contractors, no doubt at the highest cost.

Tick the Box and then say that the site is an indigenous traditional meeting place for the conduct of secret men's business. You'll soon have a place with gold-plated washbasins.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2