GRIPES

Phil Perry

19 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

I just read on the ABC that 'the pain has gotten worse'. Gotten? When was that a word?

I did not know this but apparently gotten goes back a long way. 

Got and Gotten: The Differences

Both got and gotten existed as far back as Middle English. English speakers in North America preserved gotten as the past participle of got. Outside of North America, the shortened version became standard. 

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/got-gotten/

Ill-gotten gains?

Edited by octave
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is quite correct in Australian English to use "gotten". While it is true that "gotten" has a history of being a past participle of the verb "to get", we do not use it instead of "got" to indicate a completed action, as in "I got sick". In this post, I'll avoid another meaning of "got" - to receive or obtain. I'll keep it simple and use the meaning in the ABC quote. 

Notice that gotten does not stand alone in that quote. "Has" is there to help it. Put the "has" with the past participle of a verb and you get what is called the present perfect tense. We use the present perfect when we are talking about an event that started in the past and the event still has some influence in the present. In the quoted example, the pain began in the past and is continuing. Throw in "worse" and we see that there is a comparison with how the pain was initially a how it is now. 

My gripe today: Some people!

We AirBnB the onsite detached cottage: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/53425871?adults=1&children=0&enable_m3_private_room=true&infants=0&pets=0&check_in=2023-08-24&check_out=2023-08-29&source_impression_id=p3_1691061905_108Ul0rT9kBKNZ9O&previous_page_section_name=1000&federated_search_id=2f341fde-4f2e-4c05-8ee9-80906086652d

My partner works hard to ensure it is in tip top condition for guests. By and large, everyone who has stayed has been very good. However, there was a wedding on the weekend and the brother of the groom and his mother stasyed at our place - they got in early and got a great rate (they booked before ewe finished the refurb and at prices where it wasn't quite as good as it could be).

When I first went in to get the keys and take a quick look (downstairs only), I noticed they left all their rubbish inside  - a lot more than mist people who have stayed a week.,. Despite them having all their food at next door, who was hosting the wedding. And the dishes in the dishwasher were left dirty. No probs.. that's part of our bill - so people can relax and not think they have to scrupulously clean up after them. But this is what else they left

• Broken antique window
  • All towels smeared in makeup.
  • Coffee stain in the carpet
  • Coffee stain on the ironing board
  • And, this morning, we noticed they twisted and damaged the shower hose.

Not only has this stay cost us money (there are so many conditions to the Air BnB cover, rwe don't expect to see repayment for the broken window), but it is downright inconsiderate. We got to great lengths and a lot of work to make sure the place is immaculate; we even have a bottle of wine, milk, and biscuits to greet guests - and all of our reviews (bar the first, but they were a strange couple that decided to leave their dogs unattended on a stifling night to go to a party - so they are included in this rant) have been 5* (I think).

It grates me people just abuse things; we know things will happen - just tell us... We can sort the stains whuile they are fresh. We even understand when a window is broiken and we can handle it (we are insured oiutside AirBnB, too). But thaty amount of crap was just taking the p!55.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's human be-uns for ya, Jerry!

Sad to say there are some out there like that.

I hope you don't get too many like that. I had to sell my 'investment rental' because there were just too many ignorants- they all assume you are making an obscene profit, so they feel justified to leave a costly mess. Or maybe they are just assoles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Apart from the very first ones, who were more entitled than anything else, this was the only time we have had issues. Partner discovered that they also broke the ice  cube tray in teh fridge.. and we can't find the dustpan and brush..

I know wher I would like to shove the dustpan and brush if I see them again.

We can only think they got high or drunk or something..

23 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

I had to sell my 'investment rental' because there were just too many ignorants- they all assume you are making an obscene profit, so they feel justified to leave a costly mess. Or maybe they are just assoles.

I think it is a bit of both...

Shame you had to sell your investment property, but sometimes it is not worth hanging on. If 1/3 of our guests were the same, we would be in loss territory.

• Informative 1

21 hours ago, old man emu said:

I have only previously come across "aviator" through references to the US military, mainly the US Navy. The use of the word may imply claims of superior airmanship, as in navy aviator vs. air force pilot.

U.S. naval aviators get very cranky if you call them a pilot. It might be part of that age old butting of heads that the American navy and air force indulge in.

• Informative 1

On 21/07/2023 at 8:46 PM, octave said:

Ha you probably think I don't know how many beans go in each cup.    Coffee is my passion (yep waiting to be attacked) We do buy raw green beans and roast them ourselves.     Yes this may sound crazy but my wife and I gain considerable pleasure from this

I have just got a coffee tree to plant to try this for myself, might even get a few more as I have read 1 to 2 kg Max beans a year per tree, and I have 5 to 10 cups a day.

Will be interesting to compare home grown to bought when it happens.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Bluddy Murphy! The bugger has been running my life lately.

Every time I start work on my plane (maintenance and some improvements) something torpedoes my deadline.

I had hoped to get it ready for OME’s event in May, but no luck.

Last week my dodgy knee got attacked by a big lump of firewood.

That cost me a week.

Back working at the airport, but the plurry epoxy resin won’t set properly!
Spent up large on a heat gun; even that won’t set the resin.

Maybe the scales are reading wrong.
Ripped it apart, did another job using volume measurements. Lots more heat. Setting like rubber.
Rang the manufacturer. One of their workers had added the wrong component to a big mix. They thought they had traced all of that faulty batch. 

That’s another week lost.

They’re sending me a replacement, but it will take another week.

I sure hope businesses appreciate the good staff they have, because there’s no shortage of dunderheads!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I've always had this sneaking suspicion that many of these so-called modern "artists", are just "con-artists". I'm sure they're just having a great time sucking up to "art expert" wa*k**s, who try to pretend that they alone have superior knowledge of just what is being expressed in a collection of carp that no-one else can see any sense in. And I've been to Bilbao's Guggenheim Art Museum and there's plenty of the carp there that Peter viewed today, too - although there is some good art amongst it.

I mean to say, we went into this room and this clown was firing big buckets of red paint at a wall from the equivalent of a small cannon - and he was claiming it as top-level exotic art, and full of expression and meaning, and god-knows-what-else. I reckon he was just having a great old playtime, at art followers and the museums huge expense.

• Like 2