The Random thought thread

spenaroo

18 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

Don't watch regular TV.  A Britbox subscription will get you all that British stuff at $10 a month.  

Same.  We have two subscriptions, one is free because we cheekily piggyback off our friend's account and the other one changes month to month.  We subscribe to Britbox until we have watched everything that appeals to us and then ditch the subscription and move to another platform.  We find that after you ditch a subscription you often get offers of one month for free which we take up and cancel before the end of the period. We probably spend between  $10 and $15 a month.

We don't have much trouble finding 2 hours of quality a night.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

I enjoy Inspector Morse. Takes me back to 1990 when I was more capable of getting things done. No internet or smart phones.

I watch those shows to get a glimpse of cars I have owned, and household trivia that we dont see anymore.

• Like 2

My kids pay for it, not me. For health reasons/physical limitations, I can't do the things you recommend, Nev. Tried trimming the bougainvillea this afternoon as it is getting out of hand. Nearly fell over 2 or 3 times. If I fell over in the yard, I couldn't get up.

• Sad 1

I ' liked ' ( past tense ) climbing ladders and all things ,that needed doing , " pride ".  now I'm worried about the strain on my arms .yes I know use your leg muscles .

Broken right elbow,  now ' bursitis ' in the left elbow .

Trying to change from ' right handed to left-hand '. 

At the moment I'm in nappies after my prostate surgery. 

Just a little incontinence,  no worries,  only 6 to 8 weeks 

They say . Should I laugh. 

NO I'll dribble. 

spacesailor

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

If I want some TV-type shows, I go to iView ABC. My favourite shows are Death in Paradise and a Ben Elton comedy Upstart Crow which is a sitcom involving William Shakespeare and his misinterpretation of situations that we can see as the basis for his plays. Quite a good chuckle.

Otherwise, I spend my evenings studying at the University of YouTube. The other night I learned how to make air-drying modelling clay from bicarb soda and corn flour.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 04/04/2024 at 8:55 AM, facthunter said:

Did no one get the  Motor Bike riding ON and OFF bit?. Why would anyone use a Lancia Beta to launch a boat. They are fetching good$$$s and always did unless there s a modern one using the same name. Very small  angled V4 originally. with a single head. Malcolm Frazer had one.  Nev

Sadly the Lancia Beta was a badly made Fiat in rusting clothes.

No real Lancia parts involved except the badge, which normally fell off in disgust..

Once the late 70's arrived the Fiat takeover meant death to the real Lancia.

The engine was a standard Fiat twin cam rebadged.

It also came with built in rust, like all period Fiats.

Even Malcom was smart enough to not lose his pants by buying such a dud. 

This was a bad period to be a Italian carmaker, even Italy got the accountants disease.

• Haha 2
  • Informative 1

Oh, 

Tv sucks , 15 years since I owned one.

I view, sbs and streaming is the go.

Everything else is just mindless crap to reduce the general IQ and keeps the sheepish ones content and stupid.

Just like bread and circuses with added blood did for the Romans.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

I just had a random thought about a spud gun. Haven’t seen one since I used to shoot it at my brother.

Yes, spud guns have been MIA since at least the 80's when I couldn't find one for my kids. They seemed harmless enough.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Yes, spud guns have been MIA since at least the 80's when I couldn't find one for my kids. They seemed harmless enough.

the little orange and black ones can be found at the bargain 2$ type shops.

often bought by my parents at christmas for the grand kids

the PVC pipe and a bbq ignition cannons....
well they classed as a firearm and massive trouble if caught

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, spenaroo said:

the PVC pipe and a bbq ignition cannons....
well they classed as a firearm and massive trouble if caught

I wish I knew that..... back when a British SAS mob visited our gliding club and showed us how to make them.

• Informative 1

The legal difference between the toy spud guns and the potato/orange cannons is that the cannon uses explosive gases, whereas the toy spud gun has a compressed spring which releases pushing compressed air to fire the potato pellet. There's always a lot of twists and turns between interpretations of what constitutes a toy gun vs an imitation firearm vs something that would be considered a firearm. A good example is this ceramic vodka bottle pictured below. They are made in Ukraine and hold 100ml of vodka. They have a big cork in the barrel end where the vodka is filled and dispensed. In every state and territory they are legal and considered by the police to be just what they are - a ceramic bottle. Federal customs consider them to be an imitation firearm and the importation of them requires the same permit as required to import a real handgun.

vb.png

• Informative 2

You can whip up a very realistic looking facsimile of any pistol you can think of on your 3D printer now.  No problem with customs.  Even make your own vodka bottles out of them if that's what you want.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

Even make your own vodka bottles out of them if that's what you want.

And they wouldn't be as easy to break as the ceramic one if you happened to over-indulge.

• Like 1

Brilliant! About time! A judge in the US has sentenced the parents of a 15yo, who killed 4 students at his school, to 10 years jail each for failing to control him. The father bought the boy the pistol a few days earlier. The boy was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of bail. They will each be in separate prisons. Our judges ought to take note.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

This should be in the Gripes thread but I haven’t got my glasses. Just got up for a wee at the camp ground , got to the lock on the dunny door but didn’t have my glasses, peed my Jami’s while I was trying combinations. Should have gone behind a tree but they were defended by kangaroos.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Tut tut.

Prioritise, man!

I just returned from the campground loo. Sun is just coming up. I then sat in front of the heater with my cuppa. Thus I am forum scrolling without incident. Also, this is random enough to be in the random thread!

36 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It doesn't even make you rare but when you get home you might be HOME-O -sexual. Nev

I am home-o-sexual.

Those rare events always happen in the comfort of my own home.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, red750 said:

Brilliant! About time! A judge in the US has sentenced the parents of a 15yo, who killed 4 students at his school, to 10 years jail each for failing to control him. The father bought the boy the pistol a few days earlier. The boy was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of bail. They will each be in separate prisons. Our judges ought to take note.

The actual reasoning is brilliant.

its not for being bad parents.

its for overlooking the warning signs and not acting on information provided as per a reasonable person

• Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 10:57 AM, red750 said:

I'm getting sick of television. 

Firstly, adverts. I was watching Sunrise this morning and an ad break came onn. There was a station promotion for the News, 9 (yes, nine) commercials, another station promotion for the footy tonight, then back to the program. One segment, no more than five minutes long, then another ad break. Repeat the above. Foxtel is no better. 

Content. TV is definitely aimed at Gen X and millenials. Such trashy reality programs - Married at First Sight, Farmer Wants a Wife, Australian Idol, Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, Australian SAS, The Block. Not entertaining or educational, all free to air. End up watching Foxtel for the umpteenth repeat of American comedies or British cops shows (Midsomer Murders, New Tricks, A Touch of Frost), or nonsense shows like Finding Bigfoot, Mountain Monsters, Paranormal caught on camera, or Car Crash TV.

Surely AI could whip up something fresh.

Be great if any writers could come up with new quality viewing without rehashing old stuff and making a dogs breakfast out of it. So many books out there would make great movie with the right team. The new Jack Reacher series is pretty spot on to the book story, and cast is fairly accurate to ones imagination of them from reading.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1