The Random thought thread

spenaroo

I saw a short clip on Xcrement of a crew member filming a carrier launch. I'd never given it a thought before that they film every launch and landing. A few years ago I watched a documentary about operations on the USS Carl Vinson, and they mentioned that all carrier aviators are continually rated on performance with every landing scrutinised. If they don't maintain a certain rating, they are shipped out.

66y.png

5 hours ago, facthunter said:

Graphite is a conductor of electricity. I Don't think it would be good around some switches.   Nev

All the ignition switches I have pulled apart have the mechanical key physically separated from the electrical switch.  Graphite in the tumblers is probably no issue. Does the key physically turn to thenormal 'start' position? If it does, then probably the problem is not anything to do with the key end of the device.

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

First of all they are NAVY Pilots

Never, never, call a US Navy operator of an aircraft a "pilot". They are "aviators".  The rest - USAF, Marines, Coast Guard and National Defence operators of aircraft - are "pilots"

• Like 1

All the Ones I knew were AUSTRALIANS. Those Yank ones are all "Suckers and Losers" and I have that from the HIGHEST Authority.on Earth  and in Heaven. D G.Trump. (Fanfare of Trumpets Blare) Wait for Clapping to stop.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................                         

Flags Wave..................................................................................

1 hour ago, red750 said:

No. Frozen solid like in the steering lock situation.

Sounds like a lock issue, not the ignition switch (which is a separate part attached to the back of the lock). I'd call a locksmith. When I  once had a steering/ignition lock jam, a locksmith pulled it apart and put a new tumbler mechanism into it for about $50. It might be that.

Edited by nomadpete

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Never, never, call a US Navy operator of an aircraft a "pilot". They are "aviators".  The rest - USAF, Marines, Coast Guard and National Defence operators of aircraft - are "pilots"

Coast Guard and the Marine Corps use the term Naval Aviator as well.

During peacetime, the Coast Guard operates under the Department of Homeland Security. During wartime, it can be transferred to the Department of Navy. Both the USN and the USMC are part of the Department of Navy. All three branches finish flight training as Naval Aviators and are issued the Naval Aviator badge, so there's a lot of commonality between Navy, Marines and Coast Guard. Best not to insult any of them.

My nephew was injured in Japan and had to spend a week on a U.S. carrier as they had hospital facilities. I think from memory it was the Carl Vinson. He got the opportunity to watch a lot of FA-18 launches and traps while he was recovering.

• Like 1

On a different note, why do pollies continue to use twitter/X as a platform to get a message across? Yes, there are people on it, but it is not a nice place owned by not a nice guy. Surely, they would not want to be seen as endorsing such a platform by using it?

56 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

On a different note, why do pollies continue to use twitter/X as a platform to get a message across? Yes, there are people on it, but it is not a nice place owned by not a nice guy. Surely, they would not want to be seen as endorsing such a platform by using it?

It's such a large platform and for politicians, governments and organisations, it reaches a huge audience. Unfortunately none of the other alternatives that hoped to take over from Xcrement were able to gain a significant footprint. I think everyone was hoping some other platform would take over the mantle, but alas, not so. It seems to be so big and entrenched as a major information site that it's hard to escape. It's really gone downhill since that nutcase has been running it, but there isn't much in the way of competition. I had a look at Mastadon but thought it was a clunky piece of work; I don't think it will catch on in a big way.

Posted (edited)

anyone else following the Bruce Lehrmann trial today,

the judge made some great comments

"Having escaped the lion's den, Mr Lehrmann made the mistake of coming back for his hat."

which goes along with what his criminal defense trial lawyer said the other week.

“Frankly, if it wasn't for Lisa Wilkinson's speech at the Logies, Bruce would probably be in jail. Thank God for that speech,''

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 1

double post as i timed out of edit.

Be interesting to see what Linda Reynolds does....

its one thing to go after Ms. Higgins when there was questions over it from the mistrial.

now its going after a confirmed victim of sexual assault. Not the best look if she wants a further career with politics

• Agree 1

On 14/04/2024 at 6:21 PM, nomadpete said:

Sounds like a lock issue, not the ignition switch (which is a separate part attached to the back of the lock). I'd call a locksmith. When I  once had a steering/ignition lock jam, a locksmith pulled it apart and put a new tumbler mechanism into it for about $50. It might be that.

How many years ago was that? I made a couple of phonecalls today. One place (mobile mechanics and electronics) who quoted $700. Called a locksmith and they said bring your key over. My son drove me, and they cut a new key to mfr specs (computer controlled key cutter). They said the old one was pretty worn. Cost me $35.90. They said give that a try, and if that doesn't work, we'll have to come out and replace the key barrel. It didn't work, so they are coming tomorrow. Quote including call-out $350. 

Ouch.

Yeah, it was back in 2000. And I  took the car to them.... I  managed to jiggle the key to get it to work just once and didn't turn it off  for fear it wouldn't ever work again.

Good luck with it.