The Random thought thread

spenaroo

I had a Mate who rode Motorcycles On and off.. One of the best things about driving around Australia is you get to n watch the Old geezers with the HUGE trailer trying to back them into Position. as the sun goes down. It's making DRIVE THROUGH a necessity..  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I always get a naughty pleasure watching the weekend warriors back their boats at the ramp.

Even more fun when they return to the boat to discover they forgot the hull drain plug..😭

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Spacey,

Always best to raise the mast at the ramp carpark.

I have seen guys drive away still mast up, it looks like death waiting.

Powerlines will quickly turn the boat and owner into ash.

• Agree 2

I recall a mate telling me how he watched an interesting exercise unfold at the boat ramp many years ago, it was probably the early 1980's.

One boatie, who owned a Lancia Beta (which was FWD), used it to launch and retrieve his boat. The launching part went O.K. - but the retrieval part wasn't going so well, when my mate came along.

The Lancia was spinning and slipping and scratching for traction on the ramp, as all the weight went rearwards with the weight on the towbar (and the ramp angle), and the weight was coming off the front wheels.

So a few burly blokes strolled over, and one said to the driver, "We'll just sit on the front if you like, and that should help you out!". The Lancia driver agreed that that sounded like a good idea.

So about 4 of these burly lads sat on the bonnet and bumper and the driver gunned the Lancia to haul the boat up the ramp.

My mate said, all of a sudden, there was a almighty "BANG!!" from underneath the Lancia.

The driver stopped in consternation, pulled on the handbrake, and got out - and he along with the blokes on the front, all peered under the Lancia, to see what had made the dreadful noise.

To the drivers even greater consternation, oil was pouring out from under the car, literally in litres per second. 

What had happened was, when the driver gunned it, and the load really went on the drivetrain, one of the mounting brackets for the FWD suspension/axle setup, has broken right out of the transmission casting! - leaving a gaping hole in this main (alloy) casting, through which all the transmission oil was pouring out!!

Needless to say, the burly lads all murmured sympathy with the distressed driver - and then they all quietly walked off! - leaving the Lancia owner to his horror development!!

• Sad 2

Did no one get the  Motor Bike riding ON and OFF bit?. Why would anyone use a Lancia Beta to launch a boat. They are fetching good$$$s and always did unless there s a modern one using the same name. Very small  angled V4 originally. with a single head. Malcolm Frazer had one.  Nev

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)

nope,

I've seen guys ride motocross bikes on and off the back of lifted dual-cab Utes.

its pretty impressive (pulls a wheelie to get the front wheel to the tailgate height. when the front wheel contacts he shifts the weight forward and applies front brake to lift the rear wheel up as if doing a stoppie)

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 1

Posted (edited)

I've only seen a small handful do it,

need to be pretty confidant with the speed and balance/contol to pull it off successfully.

(this guy was a multiple time Australian MX champion)

also seen the guy almost stack it as he was going too fast and hit the back of the Ute cab harder then normal.

hard enduro and trials is a very particular skill set.

lots of skills to do with loading and unloading the suspension that normal riders wouldn't be familiar with or able to pull off.

plus the weighting of the pegs is opposite to normal riding.

(I did a 1 day trials experience and missed the last activity as I was puking my guts out with exhaustion and heat stroke) 
it a small population of skilled riders compared to the overall numbers of general riders.

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

41 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Anyone competing today in say Extreme Enduro or the Later trials venues. . Ie any of my male kids.  Nev

They would probably unload their bike by riding over the cab and down the bonnet.

• Haha 2

I'm getting sick of television. 

Firstly, adverts. I was watching Sunrise this morning and an ad break came onn. There was a station promotion for the News, 9 (yes, nine) commercials, another station promotion for the footy tonight, then back to the program. One segment, no more than five minutes long, then another ad break. Repeat the above. Foxtel is no better. 

Content. TV is definitely aimed at Gen X and millenials. Such trashy reality programs - Married at First Sight, Farmer Wants a Wife, Australian Idol, Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, Australian SAS, The Block. Not entertaining or educational, all free to air. End up watching Foxtel for the umpteenth repeat of American comedies or British cops shows (Midsomer Murders, New Tricks, A Touch of Frost), or nonsense shows like Finding Bigfoot, Mountain Monsters, Paranormal caught on camera, or Car Crash TV.

Surely AI could whip up something fresh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I stopped watching TV many years ago - it is an utter waste of time, designed to keep moronic minds filled with crap. I have better things to do with what little time I have left on this Earth.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

When I was told ," wasting the CFI time " .

Those very blue years, ( never squeezed a rivet ) .

Not much incentive to do anything .

Then after my new hip , not much point in making another none flying Hummel-bird so sold it

spacesailor

• Sad 1