The Random thought thread

spenaroo

Most of Europe has been Unisex for ages. I use the disabled toilets at my stage of the game even though i'm not in possession of a parking sticker for the last few years. They are handy as you get more space and therefore less damage from the Kids who throw the war Tank doors right open next to you..

Red, all that stuff is Hands off and people get pretty fluent with it when they get fully used to it.  Nev

• Informative 1

It can't be hands off , as my neighbours electric has the ' horn on the ipad screen , as with the handbrake .

But his wife's car has four pedals,  press the left pedal for parking , then press it again to release.

Very hard to ' toe & heel the throttle /  brake combo in 

Heels. LoL

spacesailor

• Informative 1

My wife's new Corolla Cross Hybrid has automatic parking. You park beside the space then press a button. But she found out you first have to tell it whether you are doing parallel parking or nose- in, and whether to the left or the right. She pressed the button and instead of backing and turning, it shot across the street at right angles. I was in the passenger seat, the stain will come out eventually.

• Haha 2
  • Informative 2

I have a severe aversion to "cutting edge technology", where the designers have failed to take into account all the possibilities and have not done adequate testing and refining. Fortunately, it seems the manufacturers have got electric power steering to be pretty reliable. I see automated parking as dumbing down driving skills.

I can back trailers over lengthy distances just using the mirrors, and I can remember the awe of the bystanders in an underground car park swap meet, when I backed my 80 series Landcruiser and big tandem car-carrying trailer, straight back into position over 2 car parking spaces, between other parked cars, in just one go.

• Like 1

When you work on farms you get to back things and change gear without the clutch once you are moving, even High-Low range. Still when I did a forklift drivers ticket, It made a lot of improvement  in judging tight corners with nothing to  spare. I still sometimes watch the COLES market drivers reverse into a narrow access Lane with their semis..  Nev

• Like 2

It's all what you get used to. If you mainly drive semi-trailers, you will find it tricky to back a body truck and will keep turning the wrong way. The longer the trailer, the easier to reverse. I never had a problem with single trailers but always had respect for those that could back road trains (conventional, not B Doubles). Every time I tried it, I would plait the whole show up quick smart.

The other ones I used to like watching was the tipper and dog drivers dumping fill. Some used to stop and pin the dolly but the better drivers would back them unpinned. I think it would be a lot harder backing those unpinned articulated dog trailers than the pig trailers. One of the hardest things I've backed is those little 6x4 car trailers. You can't see the damn things and they get away from you in a flash.

• Like 1

I spent many years backing a tandem drive ACCO tipper up numerous high (8 to 10M high) ramps to tip into ore bins. Then I bought a cabover F-model Mack with a tandem semi-tipper, and had to do the same with the Mack and semi-tipper.

There was little room for error, the ramps often weren't more than about 5-6M wide. And with a full load, you had to gun the truck in reverse to get up the ramp because of their steepness, no slow and careful steering wheel movements, you got the truck and trailer straight, and kept them straight. And to add to the fun, neither truck had power steering!

I'm a bit annoyed because the SIL got some great film footage in the mid-1970's of me doing this backing up ramps at speed - but just recently she and the brother told me they had to throw the film out, because it had deteriorated so badly, it was useless!

• Informative 1

Yes that OLD film has to be kept in special storage vaults. 

l know, as we would like to see a film ( full movie).

Called .

No resting place .

1951 Staring Micheal Gough,  produced by Paul Rotha . 

And our brother " Christopher Lawrence " .

It is in that ' vaulted storage ' .

When they have enough Interest they can ' digitalise ' it .

spacesailor

10 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

l know, as we would like to see a film ( full movie). Called No resting place . 1951 Staring Micheal Gough,  produced by Paul Rotha

Here you go, Spacey https://ok.ru/video/2575223753382

No Resting Place is a 1951 British motion picture directed by Paul Rotha, produced by Colin Lesslie Productions, and starring Michael Gough, based on Ian Niall's 1948 novel.  It was the first fiction film directed by Paul Rotha, formerly a documentary maker. The film draws on Rotha's documentary background as well as Italian neo-Realism, with scenes of rural and domestic life particularly showing the influence of his documentaries. It was shot entirely on location in Wicklow, Ireland by cinematographer Wolfgang Suschitzky. It was the first film as cinematographer for Suschitzky, who went on to photograph films including Get Carter. At the 1952 British Academy Film Awards, it was nominated for Best Film from any Source and Best British Film. I wonder of the Maureen O'Sullivan in this movie is the same one who was Jane in the Tarzan movies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maureen_O'Sullivan

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

MANY THANKS .

I showed it to the wife .,and ,

Then the screen died , ( which I hadn't experienced before). With a dead flat battery. Was I worried !.

So now to save it too a DVD platter . ( None electrical ).

I did, many years ago , try " Phill Collins " .

Who said it was ' Archived ' .

Are we happy ,

Christopher Lawrence could have a book written on his

life . 

He died in the Sorenson ' Zeebrugge ferry sinking '.

spacesailor

44 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

I did, many years ago , try " Phill Collins " .

spacey, do you mean movie historian Bill Collins? Phil Collins is the singer.

Edited by willedoo

This oak tree was more than 40 years old when Mozart was 8 years old.
This tree was 50 years old when the first steam engine was patented.
This tree was 180 years old when the Wright brothers flew the first powered airplane.
When he was over 300 years old, he was sacrificed for the construction of roads (between the cities of Leamington and Kenilworth, England).
They took away his right to life without asking him.
Man is an insatiable, arrogant and soulless monster. As if the world belonged only to us. 
There are no words

treeover300.thumb.jpg.b248961d674e60f925c1a6ffcbf577fd.jpg

• Sad 2

Think of

all those ' Old  growth  forest '  cut down for '' brown paper bags '' .Germany is up in arms about this sacrilege to it's forest .

Hatefull things '' brown paper bags '' , did we Oldies rejoyce, when plastic bags saved our shopping from dropping onto the floor.

( without warning ) .

spacesailor

Just sitting here on the computer, raining outside, my son working from home, and my mobile rings. It's the co-ordinator from the Men's Shed. One of my good mates, and a senior volunteer at the shed passed away over Easter. A massive shock. He was the guy who sent me many of the jokes I share on this site. He has been having some tests, but he was very active in the workshop up until Thursday, so it was totally unexpected. Here are a couple of the items he produced at the shed.

Keiths rocking horse.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1084 (1).JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

On 31/3/2024 at 9:28 AM, onetrack said:

I can back trailers over lengthy distances just using the mirrors ..,,

I have done that many times, even when intending to back it only a short distance.

• Haha 3