The Random thought thread

spenaroo

was on another forum I used to use,

just a general place for musings etc...

Today I had a new "thats doing well in life" moment,

sending parts to a customer, got his address....

XXXX valley
suburb

state postcode

asked for the street number....
oh no there isn't one, that's the property.

admittedly it was a cattle property. but still imagine having a enough land that you get your own address

• Informative 1

Most rural areas and fewer but stiull many urban areas don't use street numbers, but house names. If yoiu use iether and a postcode, the letter will get to you. Often postcodes cover one or a small handful of houses, too.. and they aren't mansions.

Not one place in our village has a street number.

My house name is  The Old Rectory; the two br barn converion on our title is The Old Meeting House.

My inlaw's house name is.. drum roll please..... Waterly Bottom (ther is a waterly creek at the bottom of their back yard).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In rural NSW "street numbers" are the distance of the entrance gate in hundreds of metres from the intersection at the start of a road. My sister's gate is 210 metres from the intersection of her road and the highway, so her address is 21. My entrance gate is on the highway, so if I applied for a separate address it would be 1000, since the gate is 10 kms from the town reference point.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Australia Post has gone downhill since my parents once sent me a letter addressed

To Mr nomad

The Yellow Jeep

C/O post Office

Laguna

N.S.W.

The post lady (couldn't bring myself to call her a post mistress) handed the letter to me when I stopped there to buy a bottle of wine. Wouldn't happen today!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, nomadpete said:

The post lady (couldn't bring myself to call her a post mistress) handed the letter to me when I stopped there to buy a bottle of wine. Wouldn't happen today!

Today, you can have a fully addressed article and chances are Aus Post can't deliver it...

Mr. Joe Blow,

Unit 3, 27 Particular Street

Hometown Vic. 3888

You don't even get a missed item card. You need to have the Aus Post app so they can send you a text advising where you can coect the item. And if it's a small parcel, it might go via Tas, WA, Qld.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, spacesailor said:

I lost a ' hand-held ' transceiver from thr UK  that came by post. 

Even eBay items have gone missing  ( with tracking ) . From overseas to Australia & that's were it missing. .

Doesn't take many to drop the advantage of online shopping,  ( luckily ebay helps ) .

spacesailor

True, and I have had one like that. But it's a bit unfair to blame Aust Post for stuff that goes missing in other countries.

My experience has been pretty good, although in recent years Aust Post is no longer as quick as once was.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

AND for ' pedestrians to cross intersections. 

I " fell " for that , when I tripped in a pothole.  Broken arm, crushed elbow and torn shoulder ligament. 

Just managed to lift one ( 1 ) kilogram with my right arm now .

I was doing so great before I ' tripped up ' .

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
A little more !
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

AND for ' pedestrians to cross intersections. 

I " fell " for that , when I tripped in a pothole.  Broken arm, crushed elbow and torn shoulder ligament. 

Just managed to lift one ( 1 ) kilogram with my right arm now .

I was doing so great before I ' tripped up ' .

spacesailor

The departments of roads don't seem  to realise  that every motorist is also a pedestrian  (once he finds a parking spot.)

• Like 1

where do you put him?
obviously isnt going to be a functioning member of society.

and jail is just going to be an education on furthering a criminal element.

if only there was some kind of place for people who are screwed up mentally, you know with a name that means place of safety.

too bad we shut them all years ago

the 15yr old that did the stabbing got 15 years.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1