The Mallee Fowl

onetrack

I never eat anything that contains unidentifiable pieces of meat swimming in deep sauces or gravies. I like to know exactly what went into the dish, or be able to identify the pieces of meat as to where they originate with regard to colour, shape, etc.

But I still get caught with "Butter Chicken", on a regular basis. I'm still mystified as to where these "Butter Chicken" suppliers get all their rabbit supply - I'm convinced it must come in from China in 200L drums, no-one could supply rabbit in the levels needed here at lower cost than locally-grown-and-processed chicken.

I've even seen the chicken ingredient listed on a prepared Butter Chicken meal pack, as "Butter Chicken"? Not "Chicken", but specifically "Butter Chicken". It's the greatest scam this country has ever seen.

• Informative 2

I had rabbit at a restaurant about five years ago and I swear it was anything but rabbit, really tasteless and after eating rabbit for years as a young bloke I reckon I know what it tastes like. When I complained I did at least get my meal knocked off the bill.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Restaurants do the same scam when they say they have kangaroo steaks.  Sometimes it actually is, but they bank on the average customer never having tasted kangaroo. No matter what their chef says, I don't think that kangaroo steaks should taste like beef.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Yenn said:

I had rabbit at a restaurant about five years ago and I swear it was anything but rabbit, really tasteless and after eating rabbit for years as a young bloke I reckon I know what it tastes like. When I complained I did at least get my meal knocked off the bill.

I saw one served up at an Argentinian steak house in Adelaide, it was quite obviously rabbit as the whole carcass minus head and feet was on the plate.  It was a little amusing to see the expression of the vegetarian sitting opposite.

• Like 1

The Difference Between Vegetarian, Vegan, and Other Diets

The word vegetarian sprouted up in 1839. Fruitarian ("a person who lives on fruit") ripened by 1893. In 1944, vegetarians who consume no animal or dairy products began calling themselves vegans. Then, in 1993, those who eat fish but no other meat chose "pesce", the Italian word for "fish," to create the designation pescatarian. In that same year, meatatarian was served up as a word for those whose diet largely includes meat; that word is rare, however, and is usually used in informal and humorous ways, making it the type of fare not included in our dictionaries. Another fairly recent dietary word is flexitarian, a person who follows a mostly vegetarian diet but occasionally eats meat or fish - you now, the type of diet hominids evolved eating, and our mothers gave us every night for dinner: meat and two veg.

Maybe this is what they need.

The police in Mexico are trying to encourage criminals to change their behaviour.  Notice that no "choke holds" or “knees on the neck” are used. We were fortunate to watch a video of a counselling session between the police and a young man stopped for auto theft. They appear to be making some headway. One counselling session should do it.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

The Difference Between Vegetarian, Vegan, and Other Diets

The word vegetarian sprouted up in 1839. Fruitarian ("a person who lives on fruit") ripened by 1893. In 1944, vegetarians who consume no animal or dairy products began calling themselves vegans. Then, in 1993, those who eat fish but no other meat chose "pesce", the Italian word for "fish," to create the designation pescatarian. In that same year, meatatarian was served up as a word for those whose diet largely includes meat; that word is rare, however, and is usually used in informal and humorous ways, making it the type of fare not included in our dictionaries. Another fairly recent dietary word is flexitarian, a person who follows a mostly vegetarian diet but occasionally eats meat or fish - you now, the type of diet hominids evolved eating, and our mothers gave us every night for dinner: meat and two veg.

I'm one of them - a pescatarian for almost four years now. Stopped eating red meat when the liver went pear shaped and the iron and ferritin levels were at a dangerous level. A few months later, I stopped eating chicken more by accident than anything.

It doesn't take long before the gut enzymes change and eating even a small amount of meat makes you feel nauseous. The funny thing is, the meat memory doesn't go away even though the taste for it does. When you smell a steak cooking, or bacon and eggs, it still smells good. I probably have a vegetarian meal about three times a week, the rest of the time with fish, mainly salmon, but occasionally barra, hoki or smoked cod. I usually try to stick to clean, ocean caught stuff.

We often think of Medieval peasants having a diet that was low in nutrients, since meat was reserved for the Upper Crust. However, there was no restriction on the peasants taking fish from streams and oceans, nor shellfish and crustaceans from the sea. So their proteins came with low fat. They didn't starve to death, just worked their way there.

• Like 2

What do you mean by salmon? Are you talking about the salmon caught off the Qld coast, which is a real fish, or that stuff farmed in Tassie and pink in colour, which in my opinion is not real fish?

It takes a lot to beat a nice piece of fresh mackerel.

I am a t6rue vegetarian, I only eat animals that eat vegetables, which does include pig.

• Like 1