COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

Only problem with that theory Peter, is that it's comparing the number of coronavirus death rates so far to the number of flu deaths. The coronavirus is so far, 35 times the death rate percentage than the flu. So take the annual loss from flu and multiply it 35 times. That's the best case scenario if we don't get on top of it. Another aspect is that the coronavirus seems to be more infectious than the flu.

The most accurate comparison would be to look at the number of flu deaths in Australia since the first recorded case here of coronavirus and compare it to the eleven coronavirus deaths. At this stage, there could very well have been a similar number of flu deaths so far this year. We're only about three weeks behind Italy. They went very quickly from our numbers to 8,000 dead in a very short time. Maybe it is possible that Australia normally has many thousands die from flu in three weeks, but if so, it's not highly publicized.

Also the other figures like road toll, violent gun deaths etc., will most likely be overtaken very soon by the virus toll. It will probably all depend on how many people stay home and stall the spread. But it has the potential to be far above all those other figures quoted.

This thing is just in its infancy. Growth is exponential with cases doubling or quadrupling every day. That's the difference. There is a lot of hysteria and the panic buying is pathetic. Worldwide it took 3 months to go from a few cases to 200,000. It took 6 days to get from that to 400,000. Less than a day later 471,000. Best case scenario from our experts in such things is 50,000 dead & up to 150,000. From January to now it has spread from 1 city to 198 countries and territories.

All the other things mentioned don't change much %age wise over time.

• Like 1

This is a good one from the dailymail.co.uk. It's attached to an article about the incoming flights at Sydney and is titled 'In contrast to the airport, construction workers observed social distancing in Sydney'.

Someone should tell them that's the distance average Aussie blokes normally sit apart. I've worked in construction and nobody ever cuddles up at smoko time. If a brickie knocked off for smoko and his mate came and sat closer than 1.5 meters from him, he'd think it's soap on a rope time.

99.thumb.jpg.28cf4926836d54ed0b90ef7a991ad5ff.jpg

• Like 1

The US is now at No 1. Trump will be pleased, they have overtaken China for the most cases of Covid-19 with 14,000 new cases yesterday. But the genius is going to have packed churches at Easter and everything will be all over in a few weeks. Yeah right!

• Like 1

But the genius is going to have packed churches at Easter and everything will be all over in a few weeks. Yeah right!

See above

“While we do not know for certain what the future holds, or how long this disruption will last, we can all rest in knowing that God is in control,

octave said:

“While we do not know for certain what the future holds, or how long this disruption will last, we can all rest in knowing that God is in control,

Just to clarify in case anyone misinterprets this, it is a quote from the article. I wouldn't want anyone to think I thought that. :smile:

• Haha 2

What I could never understand is why when we have a major disaster, the god botherers all go and pray and when it is all over they go again and give thanks, because they were saved by god.

The virus is an act of god, because he controls everything and we are stupid enough to pray to him and give thanks. God help us!

No matter what the overriding problem is that there are too any of us and that is an un sustainable position. It will change, maybe this virus will not cause the change, but maybe the next one will.

• Thanks 1

No one that i have read has discussed the impact on refugee camps in the Middle East and on impoverished shanty towns in Africa and Asia. This could be much bigger globally than most people are assuming.,

I guess time will tell. Australia's Deputy Chief Medical Officer is predicting in this country, a worst case scenario of 150,000 deaths and a best case of 50,000 deaths. Going by those figures, it would be devastating in the third world countries where big numbers of people are living in close quarters. Fingers crossed that the world gets a handle on it.

We have no idea how other nations are faring, or if the virus has hit refugee camps. The media don't want to go there, so nothing happens there. We have had no news except the virus for ages, so there are no terrorist acts going on, nor are there ant tornados in the USA and best of all no mass killings in USA. Or are there?

We have no idea how other nations are faring, or if the virus has hit refugee camps. The media don't want to go there, so nothing happens there. We have had no news except the virus for ages, so there are no terrorist acts going on, nor are there ant tornados in the USA and best of all no mass killings in USA. Or are there?

Seems to be a bit still going on, but not widely reported because of the flood of coronavirus news. Kim has just banged off a couple of test missiles into the Sea of Japan, Yemen is still firing a few at Saudi Arabia, and militant groups in Iraq are regularly lobbing a few rockets on U.S. bases. So at least some people are trying hard for a bit of normality among all the virus madness.

• Haha 1

SOME "normality" we could do without. More testing and separation required. Most of it here is still coming in from overseas. Iran has notably stuffed this one. They seem to be panicking about being overthrown by their own citizens. A REAL worry is to our North. Indonesia and India. OUR worry is that the medical system will be overwhelmed. Nev

I looked around today driving down the hill to the shops and was deep in thought about how the planet is just getting on with its business, the day was beautiful, birds were still flying, critters still around. It seems the most invasive species on earth having a problem is just a blip on the horizon In the great scheme of things. Besides ourselves taking this serious we have no one to bail us out. Watching the news and still seeing people gathering or being in close proximity unnecessarily just irritates me. Our household is limited to me being the designated to go get things we need, since I am still trying to work for as long as I have something to do.

• Like 4

AT THE BEGINING

" A woman who sells live shrimp at the Chinese market where the coronavirus outbreak began has been revealed as the first patient to test positive for the new disease, according to a government document leaked to the media this week.

The 57-year-old seafood merchant, whose story was first reported by The Wall Street Journal earlier this month, began feeling sick on Dec. 10 and later became one of dozens of workers at Wuhan’s Huanan Market who were diagnosed with the virus. ".

spacesailor

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is anything good about Covid-19, but there is a lot of hysteria. Headlines today at 2.30 Virus toll in Vic now 3 dead. That's bad, but less than for domestic violence, less than common flu, less than gun violence in the street, far less than the road toll. Let us take precautions, but get a bit of perspective.

Your perspective is about to change radically