COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

A friend in Trieste, Italy, is working for this laboratory which is part of an international consortium looking into the virus.

http://www.elettra.eu/comunicazione/news/a-new-project-to-fight-the-spread-of-coronavirus-has-been-approved.html

I last heard from him three days ago. He's working from home but the laboratory staff are taking turns at doing that. Streets are deserted, kids are getting stir crazy at home, and his wife is worried as she's a nurse in the geriatric department where several doctors and nurses have tested positive.

So far, Trieste has only had a small number of deaths out of a 200,000 population.

This virus is going to spread, I don't think there can be any doubt about that. There will be either a small number of cases for a long time or a great number for a short time. The government wants the small number short time option, because they know as we all do that there is not enough capacity in the hospitals. They have been saying that we are well prepared and the medical profession can cope, but I put it alongside all the other false news we have had. I really don't know which is better, to prolong the spread of the disease, or to let it run its course. If we let it run its course a lot of old people will die, but they are going to die in the not too far distant future anyway. We will have a lot of people sick for a week or so, then the population will be largely immune to the virus.

A few friends of mine are old and in care, but have already said that they wonder why they have to just keep going, rather than be allowed to die peacefully. They may even welcome this virus.

I'll be missing out on a planned reunion this weekend as I've had cold symptoms for the last few days. Most likely just a change of season mild cold, but with the current situation, it seems sensible to do as advised and stay in the bunker for a while.

I agree the fallout will almost certainly be economic throughout the world. Depending on how long it goes on we may end up not just in a recession but a full blown depression. That would be catastophic and I think by the time that nears there will be vaccines and cures. The French, Americans and our own research has made massive inroads in the past few weeks and it is also being worked on frantically all over the world.

I doubt that it will put much of a dent in population growth. This is slowing naturally but we are still adding 80 million people a year to the global total.

We do have a plan for dealing with a huge number of infections developed for dealing with a major influenza pandemic. It is 232 pages long & I have not read it but I doubt it mentions numbers. Hopefully the measures put in place will flatten the bell curve. I note on Coronavirus Update (Live): 219,217 Cases and 8,965 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer that China has had only 34 new cases in the last 3 days & 8 new deaths which is very small compared to numerous other countries. The question is can we control people like an authoritarian regime can?

• Thanks 1

Guest Machtuk

It appears the weak and elderly are at the highest risk to this virus, trouble is the whole world is paying for it! We lose approx 150000 people per DAY world wide from all sorts of demises, this current event is a drop in the bucket! Hysteria & panic has created more long term issues than some flu type virus!

spacey, Keating's comments that it was the 'recession we had to have' were in reference to the economic reality of the continual boom/bust cycle that was relevant to those times, with inflation being one of the major causes. That recession busted inflation and it hasn't been an economic problem since. It also broke the historic boom/bust cycle and we haven't had a recession since. Keating was right.

For a bit more detail, if you can get hold of a copy, read the book 'The Longest Decade' by George Megalogenis. The title is in reference to the boom/bust cycle that often occurred over a ten year period. The book is based on his view of Keating and Howard being the joint architects of Australia's modern economy. It's a good read.

The forecasts I have seen show infections peaking in July in Australia. Most businesses will be gone by then, we don’t have the cash reserves to carry on. Employees will be laid off and will not be consumers. Suppliers and importers will not be able to deliver to those who have money. It is far worse than the press and pollies are saying at present.

it has not yet been shown that infection gives immunity. The cycles might continue, worst case.

• Sad 1

The forecasts I have seen show infections peaking in July in Australia. Most businesses will be gone by then, we don’t have the cash reserves to carry on. Employees will be laid off and will not be consumers. Suppliers and importers will not be able to deliver to those who have money. It is far worse than the press and pollies are saying at present.

it has not yet been shown that infection gives immunity. The cycles might continue, worst case.

I guess time will tell, we should revisit this a a month or 2.

• Thanks 1

Notice how all the advice on prevention has been based on preventing carriers spreading the illness and for non-carriers avoiding situations where they might be exposed to carriers.

What advice have we been given for early prevention? By that I mean, preparing our bodies to do what they are good at - fighting unfavorable micro-organisms. I've heard that keeping well hydrated can be useful. Obviously regular washing of hands and face protects against all manner of mini-nasties. Is there a vitamin that promotes our immune function like Vitamin C is supposed to ward off the Common Cold.

The common cold is a viral infectious disease that infects the upper respiratory system. It is also known as acute viral rhinopharyngitis and acute coryza. It is the most common infectious disease in humans and is mainly caused by coronaviruses or rhinoviruses. The first line of defense is mucus, which is produced in the nose and throat by the mucus glands. This mucus traps anything inhaled, such as dust, viruses, and bacteria. Mucus is a slippery fluid that the membranes of the nose, mouth, and throat produce. Hence the need to keep well hydrated.

Other steps include eating plenty of vitamin-rich fruit and vegetables to help keep the immune system strong; washing your hands regularly these viruses can be transmitted from one person to another by touch. In fact, more germs are passed by shaking hands than by kissing. Catch your sneezes in a handkerchief/tissue or the crook of your elbow. Don't spit. Don't touch your face or mouth with your hands.

Do these suggestions sound new? Of course not. They have what we have been doing since we first understood the microbial transmission of disease.

The idea that it is only old people who die needs closer examination. Relatively young people have died. The death rate is also high amongst people with underlying health conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and those who have cancer or have been treated for cancer.

Another issue is anyone can suddenly require medical care for other issues and you have to be concerned about whether there will be a bed in hospital, this is why it is crucial to spread to infections over a longer time period. This podcasts discusses the issue of age at about 8:50

Think coronavirus only kills the old? Think again.

The idea that it is only old people who die needs closer examination. Relatively young people have died. The death rate is also high amongst people with underlying health conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and those who have cancer or have been treated for cancer.

Another issue is anyone can suddenly require medical care for other issues and you have to be concerned about whether there will be a bed in hospital, this is why it is crucial to spread to infections over a longer time period. This podcasts discusses the issue of age at about 8:50

Think coronavirus only kills the old? Think again.

I qualify three out of four. Going bush in the caravan tomorrow. It has a shower and dunny. And video player. Taking a few books. Will leave the rifle at home, zombies can have my bog roll if they attack.

• Like 2

It begs the question as to why they are going ahead with the Olympic Games, which are a known hotbed of sexual activity as atested by the number of condoms they supply. This activity spread the HIV, so imagine what it could do with Covid-19.

The Olympic committee & Japan have invested billions & they are holding on to the faint hope that it will all be over by the time the games are due. Understandable but reckless according to many. I would think that within a week or so they will announce the cancellation.

• Thanks 1

The logic in my post above is that I still haven't cancelled the Wings & Wheels planned the 14th of June but have given myself another week to see how this crisis worsens before making the announcement. The infection Bell Curve is going straight up at the moment & I don't expect it will even begin to flatten in a weeks time. I hope I'm wrong.

BIL's son went in to buy a new fridge yesterday, and the stocks of fridges and freezers on the floor were decimated.

In normal times, the economy works on a balanced see-saw of supply and demand. This panic buying is like a see-saw with Dad on one end and a pre-shcooler on the other. The pre-schooler will never be able to balance Dad.

When this stupidity ends, the demand will not return until all the hoarded stuff has been used. That means that the economy will lag for months longer than the panic until new demand calls for more supply.

How much glib advertising-speak will ScoMo come out with by 2022 to save the Economy ?

• Thanks 1

Today (Monday 9th March) UK death figures by cause:

Other : 1395

Roads : 5

The Virus : 1

Some perspective needed here, and less Panic creation from our beloved media wouldn't go amiss.

I know your a bit of a keyboard comedian Phil, but your perspective on this is part of the reason that the UK is set to be in a worse situation than Italy

• Like 1

I doubt whether we will ever see a return to the airline industry and travel industry as it was. I can see more permanent restrictions being put in place, such as virus tests as part of travel security arrangements.

We will definitely see a much smaller airline and travel industry for years to come. Many airlines will just fold, and the used aircraft lots will be full of unwanted commercial aircraft for many years.

Perhaps the cheap aircraft and cheap fuel will lead to a major increase in air freight availability. I'm sure a lot of grounded aircraft will be turned to other uses, such as firebombers.

I can imagine a lot of unwanted older aircraft will just be parted out and scrapped.

• Like 1

It's a cruel irony that in order to revive holiday communities that were savaged during the bushfire crisis, government tourist departments called on us to take a holiday in those areas after the fires had gone.

Now different departments of the same governments are telling us that, for the good of the country, stay at home.