Scotty from Marketing

willedoo

Well you know the answer to that because it has been done with smallpox Polio and TB  This one spreads easily and we are still learning about it's mutations. One thing is certain we would be much better off if it had never happened but such happenings have been predicted for  years and will spread much more in large populations with more human contact and easier faster travel.'

Aeroplanes and cruise ships are almost perfect disease spreaders and incubating devices. Cabin air is recirculated in Planes and the dunnies are small and often there's a queue so it's get in straight after someone else has just left it.. . I can't see how they would ever be safe quite frankly. Nev

• Agree 3

All eventually leaves through leaks and the outflow valves which regulate the pressure to keep the cabin height below 10,000 ft. Max pressure differential about 8.6 PSI. Often one air conditioning pack is shut down to save fuel in cruise  and the air quality suffers more. Some aircraft turn off all airconditioning packs for take off to get the full power from the engines.  Those adjustable overhead vents vents don't flow any air till power reduced on climb out.. I think the cockpit is the only area to get an independent supply of non recirculated air probably to cover the cabin fire in flight situation. Nev

• Informative 2

It would generally cost fuel. Maybe some kind of a filter/virus killer (UV rays?)   I believe you'd have to ELIMINATE recirculation as you want NO contamination likelihood like you get in hotels.  It's not droplets it's aerosolling like exhaling smoke the bug goes where the smoke would.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I'll be booking my flights back to Aus at the end of Sep (hopefully) as QNATAS and other airlines have announced they intend to return to flying to Aus in December/January, so hopefully that will put downward pressure on the airfares (£6k/$11.5K at the moment for economy and not guaranteed.. but here the rules are strict about refunds). So, am looking at how they are intending to handle air re-circulation. I will try to get a booster jab for my partner and I before we go. The offspring's jabs will be well in date and they are both healthy (to our knowledge), so while there will be trepidation, we should be OK if we (in all likelihood) catch it. And, TBH,

But, to be totally honest. I am more concerned about getting onto a plane that has been in service during the pandemic.. I know the procedures to bring stored planes back into the air are rigorous, but a lot at the same time does not fill me with confidence as it will be under more management/economic pressure than usual.

By the time I get there, both the Vic and Qld Quarantine centres should be open. Ironically, the Vic centre will be next to the existing quarantine centre for animals entering the country. Hope they don't mix me up and put me in there 🙂

• Haha 1

Poor old Scotty FM, AKA that fella Down Under. Just when he gets a shot at looking like a big deal on the world stage, Joe pricks his balloon by forgetting his name. At least he did tell Scotty, “Thank you very much, pal. Appreciate it, Mr Prime Minister.” It was an historic deal between Prime Minister Johnson, President Biden, and our very own Prime Minister Pal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have posted on this site that I like to read the Australian, mainly to see what the rabid LNP promoters have to say. Todays edition is a prime example of LNP spin.

The French caused the dropping of the submarine contract, by being slow. Isn't that what happens with all our defensive contracts. We really need the nuclear subs, but I can't see why that problem could be laid at the French's feet, we should have gone down that road before the contract was signed.

PMT has not lied at all  and those who say he has are not Australians, but traitors.

The sad thing is that I think the stupid electors who have to vote will probably lap it up.

2 hours ago, Yenn said:

The French caused the dropping of the submarine contract, by being slow.

Strangely enough, they reckon it's going to take 20 years to get the new nuclear boats.  Not sure they could use "slow" as an excuse.  Mind you with Scummo and his noddies, it doesn't have to be true, it just has to be an excuse.

I thought the major delay with the Froggie subs was the Australian Defence chiefs demand that it be diesel-powered - and the French had to re-engineer their nuclear sub design to meet this design demand.

In every single case of a major Defence purchasing contract, the Australian Defence chiefs, without fail, always seem to insist that no off-the-shelf design will do, the item always has to be redesigned to meet peculiarly Australian Defence requirements.

I believe this is all a load of crap, there are any number of overseas-designed defence products that would meet our needs with only minor tweaks to meet our requirements.

You can virtually guarantee that we will end up with American nuclear subs that are built to inch measures, use all imperial piping sizes, utilise 110V AC power, and provide a major range of compatibility headaches to anything we have as standards in Australian service. And all the parts and components and servicing will need to be sourced from the U.S. They will probably have to be returned to the U.S on a six-monthly basis, just for minor servicing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Serious question: How long does it take the Yanks to build a sub?

Will we still be running Collins Class subs for another 20 years while we wait for the new, by then obsolete, subs? 

What can the hold-up be? The functional design of submarines is something that was sorted out mid-20th Century. The only things that have really been modernised are the search and destroy electronics, and the majority of that now comes as plug-in units. All you need to do is install racking for the units and run the wiring. 

Maybe the Defence Chiefs should be told that the money for amendments to basic designs is coming out of their pockets. They'll will argue that they only want the best for our service personnel, but we should not ignore the inherent cunning and adaptability that is instilled by our intensive military training. Even drones need  operators who cut their teeth on Grand Theft Auto and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

• Like 1

Look, we shouldn't complain about our government spending billions on military equipment that's unsuitable, unsound or unworkable.  

Think of it as a form of welfare for the poor starving multi-billionaire defense industry CEO's and their morally bankrupt politicians and shareholders.

• Agree 1