Don't get me wrong here, But I LIKE Donald Trump.

Phil Perry

As.. new New York Post - that bastion of unbiased reporting - not! I don't know too mcuh about her, but don't doubr that she is as good, if noit better than other contenders the democrats may put up.

That was a short clip of what I would guess was a longer interview. Have no idea what context that comment was in, but identifying people are taking their democracy for granted and don't appreciate what the govenment does, IMHO, does not indicate she is going to run for the White House. She may well be, but sadly, there are two things working against her (at least her hubby overcame one of them).

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michelle Obama has little going for her as a political candidate - apart from having a famous ex-Prez hubby. I think it's just a desperate rumour by some Democrats who are concerned that voters will shy away from a bumbling, incoherent 80 yr old who's fading fast, and vote for a mouthy self-aggrandising candidate, who promises them everything they want to hear. 

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/joe-biden-caught-speaking-a-different-language-and-listening-to-barrel-of-beer/video/d405d7a6496d225f7f6125c792bdadeb

• Like 1

In Obama's first term he still had a bit of the 'yes we can' honeymoon going for him. In the latter part of his second term, he was far more popular overseas than he was in his own country. If he was allowed to run for a third term, I very much doubt he would have won. His legacy is probably neutral for Michelle rather than on the plus side. The Democrats could be in real trouble if they don't play their cards right. A decent candidate would help, but there's no sign of one so far.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Trump hasn't been in any movies either, probably apart from a few "home videos". 

(And yes I know he had some dodgy reality tv show.)

However he got a mention in Die Hard 3, where a female cop, attempting to put across the concept of something extremely unlikely but desirable,  says "Yeah - and I'm gonna marry Donald Trump!"

Makes you laugh these days.

• Like 1

The Person you mention is a DEMOCRAT and Trump has no time for any of them (even though in a previous life HE supported them).  He's only USING the GOP anyhow, for his OWN purposes.  He won't be taking advice from any of them and refusing to do what he wants is a life threatening experience.  Nev

• Agree 1

A recent survey showed that about 70%-80% of Democrat/Biden voters know about Trump's various legal cases. The corresponding number for Republicans was about 35%-45%, attributed largely to the right wing media's lack of interest in reporting on Trump's problems. About 50% of Independents were aware.  If Trump gets convicted of any of the criminal charges he's up for, the Independents will probably take notice, so that could stack the odds against him in the election, despite his army of loyal and uninformed supporters.

On the other hand, there's a fair chance that the Supreme Court may conclude that he's not even eligible to be on the ballot, based on the the original post-civil war intent of Section 3 of the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. Not that they can be relied on to either interpret it that way or provide a ruling before the election. It will be an interesting few months.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, rgmwa said:

based on the the original post-civil war intent of Section 3 of the 14th Amendment of the Constitution

Those who were barred from standing in the immediate post-Civil War years had clearly participated in actions that would have disunited the Nation. They were the generals and politicians who lead the Confederacy and actually anyone who gave it support from the soldiers to those who clothed and fed the armies. I don't think anyone was actually tried and convicted, but if they were, it would have been a certainty that they would have been convicted.

In Trump's case, while I understand that he called on his supporters to come the Washington, I don't know if there is any evidence that he actually uttered words that urged his supporters to do what they did. Words of that sort would secure a conviction, but no one has laid a charge. That would be akin to firing on Fort Sumter. 

I find those survey results astounding considering the media attention given to all those matters. It makes one wonder at the effectiveness of the US media. Or does it illustrate the something in the society's culture. My initial thought as to what that "something" might be is self-centredness. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Trump’s insurrection charge is that he violated the Constitution by refusing to peacefully transfer power as it requires. It’s ithe actions he took to obstruct the process that matter more than what he actually said to his followers.

When the media itself is polarised the public just listens to the side they want to hear. Those that are even interested in what’s going on that is, which is only half the country. The rest have tuned out.

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

They were the generals and politicians who lead the Confederacy and actually anyone who gave it support from the soldiers to those who clothed and fed the armies. I don't think anyone was actually tried and convicted, but if they were, it would have been a certainty that they would have been convicted.

Confederate president Jefferson Davis spent a couple of years in prison, but his case never went to trial. He was out on bail when the U.S. president granted an amnesty to all participants.

• Informative 2

It is the modern empire in decline and it has been going on for some years now. They just can't seem to accept that they are no longer the worlds police force and can't understand why nobody likes them any more.

• Like 1

Just now, facthunter said:

During WW2 they were Over paid Over sexed and Over Here.  The sheila's loved it.  Nev

Careful Nev. My mum and my aunt had a bit of trouble with that in '42. And added 'they' were over fed as well as over paid and over sexed.

They reckoned that the yanks wouldn't even land in New Guinea until the mess got ice cream delivered.

• Informative 1