Quickies part 2

red750

Campdrafting is a popular sport across rural Australia, particularly in beef-growing regions. Like most participants, my brothers have an old truck to carry their horses, gear and to camp in. They typically enter a draft every few weeks. They sometime drive hundreds of km to a draft. Lots of small towns and villages host regular events.

Their horses can be remarkably involved, cleverly separating a beast from the mob, then guiding it around the course. Impressive teamwork between human and horse.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I thought that Aussie rules was a combination of Rugby and Gaelic at the time; and this was the story that was passed to me from generations before. But, apparently, it does not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_Australian_rules_football (which only references Gaelic, anyway), but that early games may have been influenced by indigenous (in the Aboriginal sense) games colelctively known as Marngrook. However, if one looks at a game of Galeic, it is hard to see how there was not some inspiration driven from Gaelic; maybe it was a combination of both Gaelic and Marngrook variants? It is definitely home grown and known around the world. During the 80s and early 90s, it built up a cult following in the US thanks to ESPN as a start up sports channel not being able to afford the US stuff. Since then, it has come off the boil there.

Over here, it is realtively well known. I have seen British people with Aussie rules jumpers on at pubs and when I talk to them, they just like the game. A French mate of mine and I enjoy a game over the internet; and BT (Teslra equivalent) Sport, and Sky Sports (Foxtel) show it. Occasionally, a game will be shown on a Sunday morning on free to air channels.. but not much these days.

Most European countries have an AFL (e.g. BAFL in Britain). My closest team is the Bristol Dockers (there are docks in Bristol); but when I was in London, it was the Wimbledon Hawks.

Although I turned off a game this morning as the play from both teams was rubbish, and the umpiring was even worse (for both sides - not just my currently inglorious hawks), the rule changes they have made in the last few years are destroying it as a competitive spectacle and it is clear it is tgiving a team - any team - an advantage to score when they can. Hopefully the new CEO of the AFL wiss restore some balance into the game.

• Informative 1

But it does less harm than religion, but you are right that is what it seems like in Melbourne. The followers of the game spend half the week describing what a wonderful job their team did last weekend or how they were robbed, then the rest of the week they are boasting about how their team is going to thrash the opposition next weekend.

My Grandson is an Essenden supporter and that is what I define as an optimist. His son at 9 months is already being guided into that religion, even though they live in Sydney area.

17 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

early games may have been influenced by indigenous (in the Aboriginal sense) games colelctively known as Marngrook.

It seems  that circumstantial evidence that Tom Wills, one of the game's pioneers, gained exposure to Marngrook while growing up amongst Aboriginal people on his father's property, Lexington, outside of the town of Moyston.  Apparently, the Aboriginal children played with a ball made of possum fur, simply kicking and throwing the ball, but with no sense of competition to win. Wills was sent to England for schooling and attended the Rugby School where he was introduced to the less civilised game. The proposed Marngrook link is still hotly debated amongst historians. 

• Informative 2

The male teacher in a girls' school asked the science class, "Who can tell me what organ of the human body expands to 10 times its usual size when stimulated? Mary, can you tell me?" 

Mary blushed furiously as she stood up. She said, "Sir, how dare you ask such a question? I will complain to my parents, who will complain to the principal." 

The male teacher was taken aback at first by Mary's reaction. Then, as understanding dawned on him, he called for another pupil, this time a volunteer. Lily put up her hand. "Yes, Lily?" 

"Sir, the correct answer is the iris of the eye." 

"Very good. Thanks, Lily," said the male teacher. He then turned to the first girl, who had threatened to complain to her parents and principal. He said, "Well, Mary, I have three things to tell you. 

First, you have NOT done your homework. Second, you have a DIRTY mind.  And third, I fear, one day, you are going to be sadly disappointed." 

It's an old one you put on the back of an envelope to your loved one - Sealed with a loving kiss.

The was also a very risque one -  EGYPT? -Ever get your p*ssy tickled?

or

SMYTH  -  Show me your t*ts honey.

• Informative 2