Quickies part 2

red750

Peter, good to hear you made it to 78, a huge number of people don't. I trust you had a good day. My sole surviving brother made it to 82 in fairly good shape at the end of last month.

Once he's gone, I'm the sole surviving family member. It's scary when you look back and see the number of people you knew/worked with or associated with, who are gone. 

• Like 3

Yes OT. My brother died in 2006 when he was 58 from bowel cancer. He was four years younger than me. My eldest cousin died of cancer in the spine a few months later, resulting from a fall he had on the farm. I have been lucky enough to have had a good urologist and oncologist, so my cancer eight and a half years ago did not claim me. And of course, my wife who passed away with cancer this year, aged 77. 

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

They say the Mind tends to remove the BAD stuff.   You didn't need much to amuse yourself. Just a drain with some water in it and some mud. A few Dinky toys a slingshot a crystal set. I bought a Waratah motor bike at age 12. Three Pound and ten shillings and no permission. then a radio set Model Planes  More motor bikes to ride through the bush. Maybe not SO simple but you couldn't do it now. The Planes I flew aren't around now.  No TV No fridge No washing machines.. It's certainly DIFFERENT. I walked RAN or rode a pushbike everywhere till I got a bike licence. Fit as.   Hmmm . Nev

• Like 2

Some of Red’s nostalgia resonates, but I also remember classes of forty- where quite a few kids fell by the wayside and left school with little more than bitterness. Where poorly-trained teachers were overwhelmed and resorted to violence in order to survive.

During my decades as a schoolteacher, I enthusiastically joined the kids in playing this anthem: 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, facthunter said:

OK I didn't know you were a chalky. Some of my classes had 55 pupils. The MAX was supposed to be 48.. Nev

Crickey Nev! Baby boom days I guess.

I recall our biggest group was born 1972- the children of Boomers.

I was fortunate to have much smaller classes: my biggest was 33 but most were low twenties- an advantage of small rural schools. Some senior classes dwindled to half a dozen. That’s where I got my best HSC results, even teaching two different courses in the one room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

I started teaching in 1959. High class load was due to Education Dept underfunding. (NSW).  Nev

What has changed? In the outer southwestern suburbs of Sydney, where all the housing developments are, they are going to open a primary school on a vacant block for the start of the 2023 school year. Between now and then they will only be able to build permanent toilet blocks and the Admin building. The classrooms will be trucked-in demountables which will stay in use for probably longer than the first intake of Kinders will take to get their University Degrees.

As I have said. We need a few no-nonsense leaders who are prepared to toss away the lovey-dovey stuff and put the very basic needs of the people to the fore. Just meet the lower levels of Maslow's heierarchy of needs.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs for Motivation

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Are we so much better off and safer now, with better health.

From what I see a majority of today's kids are sexually abused, bullied, have some kind of mental problems or should be looked after by today's biggest money sink The NDIS.

I wonder if anyone is normal nowadays.

There seems to be no will to achieve anything except get a handout from government.

My upbringing was full of some form of adventure whether it was riding a bike too fast or climbing a tree too high and I managed to carry this through my working life, to my enjoyment. Nothing was better than to give the bureaucrats who tried to stop me doing something a poke in the eye. One of those bureaucrats who annoyed me for two years on 3 jobs, greeted me as a long lost friend when he thought I was going to save him work by driving a hoist that he had installed. Wasn't happy when I pointed out to him that it was unsafe according to the rules he had for years tried to enforce.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, old man emu said:

What has changed? In the outer southwestern suburbs of Sydney, where all the housing developments are, they are going to open a primary school on a vacant block for the start of the 2023 school year. Between now and then they will only be able to build permanent toilet blocks and the Admin building. The classrooms will be trucked-in demountables...

My grand kids have been in a public school that adds more demountables each school vacation. The playground is getting smaller and classes are enormous. Our ten year old does her best, but a couple of misfits regularly disrupt the lessons. The kids report that the poor teacher often retreats to the storeroom to cry. 

Lately, they have had a series of casual teachers. If this is how The Clever Country educates its kids we’re buggered.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

It's a sad case of perennial underinvestment, and importantly, lack of management. Why we skimp on the leaders and doers of tomorrow, I will enever know. In your example, OK, clearly, the teacher is in over his or her head. There could be any manner of reasons from outright incompetence and teaching.managing kids, to overworked and overstressed with no support, simply not experienced enough before being unleashed into the furnace, may be experiencing family breakdowns, etc.

For a school, the headmaster/mistress (here they are called head teachers) is ultimately responsible, but who is providing oversight of the head teacher with the risk of cronysim being mitigated? What guidance does the education department put in place for teachers to be overwhelmed, What independent support is offered for teachers in these cases?

Having lived through both primary and secondary schools in the rough end of town, leafier suburbs, and, for a couple of years, in a posh private school, quite naturally, more quality teaching seems to gravitate away from the disadvantaged areas - as even an average teacher in a state school in a good area can look good as, generally, the students are better behaved and want to do better.. generally. But, on the opposite side of the coin, some of the best teachers pu their heart and soul into the less well off areas and in relative terms achieve so much more.  What is for real is that those is less affluent areas or remoter areas don't get quite the same level of resources nor management thrown at them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1