Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

I remember years ago, when I was doing night shift as a computer operator, I ventured on a Saturday eve to the 7-Eleven on Flemingtron road, near the corner of Royal Parade (I think it is still Royal Parade unti the round about where it becomes Elizabeth Street).. to pick up a pie and donuit for dinner (yum yum).

There was a scum-bucket of a bloke who emerged to get into his Porsche 944, which even then was a poor mans Porsche, and a couple of ladies looking for their catch could not take their eyes off him.. I learned a lot that nigtht (I was about 18 from memory). First rule of dating - never dte a girl who would ogle a bloke in a 944.. both are pretenders.

[edit] And, tbh, these sheilas weren't the type I would have gone after anyway... nor many of us to be honest...

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

I think the news article is pretty slanted against EV's, and Teslas in particular - when the title of "Teslas exploding ALL OVER Florida", turns out to be a total of FOUR Teslas catching fire, since the Hurricane.

I reckon there would've been a higher number of petrol-powered cars that caught fire in the same period, and in the same natural disaster event.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, onetrack said:

I think the news article is pretty slanted against EV's, and Teslas in particular - when the title of "Teslas exploding ALL OVER Florida", turns out to be a total of FOUR Teslas catching fire, since the Hurricane.

I reckon there would've been a higher number of petrol-powered cars that caught fire in the same period, and in the same natural disaster event.

There is still a lot of anti EV sentiment out there probably from those with an inferiority complex when their expensive ICE car can easily be outperformed by most ordinary EVs. The statistics do not back up the claims of EVs being more prone to catching fire that ICE cars. The opposite is in fact true. Hybrids are far more prone than pure EVs & that is generally because they have an ICE engine  that starts & stops at random & there is plenty of very volatile fuel there to burn.

https://belux.edmo.eu/fact-check-do-electric-cars-catch-fire-more-often-than-combustion-engine-cars/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

SO

What catagory ' would ' a hypethetical !.

Coal fired , steam boiler , powering a ' steam engined generator ' , 

Electricaly driving all road wheels .

A " hybrid " .

well it,s not an I C vehicle . Or " petrol " guzzler. 

just thinking of the Old " mechainix illustrated, & popular science/ popular mechanics ' .

Used to love reading them !.

spacesailor

• Like 2

The efficiency of the Doble Bros Steamers was incredible, even by todays standards. It's a shame the the Doble Bros fought so much, and didn't have an over-arching financial controller.

The Doble could do 90 mph with ease, and reach 120 mph in near silence, it cost very little to run, used only modest amounts of fuel, could do 2400kms before the watertank needed refilling, and their only major drawback was the brakes, which were limited to rear-wheel brakes only, in line with 1920's engineering thinking.

Unfortunately, thanks to the Doble Bros perfectionism, and their need to build the Doble from only the best materials, there were only about 32 Dobles built, and only about 25 survive. Jay Leno owns one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doble_steam_car

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

A boiler is not quite correct . As the new " steam generators ' do not need a ' boiler ' .

You can have a steam generator  in your domestic house for heating.

My Late bro built a very nice coiled ' flash ' steamer for a 24 ft boat, with a high & low preasure two pot motor.

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Yes some of them use Petrol for the heat if you want to get really inefficient.  I didn't want to use the word "flash" as I  don't live in the correct suburb.  I have a mate who built a 2 tonne thing, I call the "REACTOR". Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

The other notable one is .

Stanley Steamer , much cheaper than the others .

If you saw a " steam car" on a farm tip ,

Would you or anyone one here consider  what that heap of barrels & pipes was .

Not such a silly question as .

I found a chassis  ( on that farm tip ) it was a mr Holden serial number 600 & something. 

Turns out it was a " chevi / G M "chassis "  bought by him to put His bodies onto .

spacesaIIor 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know what the surprise is.. We generate electricity for the needs/demands of current energy usage.. if we switch to EVs, we will need more. If we need more we will have to generate more. The bigger the load (and the less aerodynamic), the more energy required to overcome mass and drag. There's no free rides. As someone in the article said, we can see the demand coming, we need to built the generating and distribution capacity now.

I see on rec.flying  that there is debate about EVs still.. They're coming as Aus is too small a market for global manufacturers to worry about supplying  a backwater bunch of clingons with ICE vehicles while the world moves away from them. Volvo have already stated no ICE cars for Aus from 2026. May as well invest in what is a virtually dead-certain future now..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Maybe the EV secret is in the fact that there's a lot of wasted power that's being generated at any one time, and simply using that normally wasted power is going to supply the EV energy needed.

When you run a power station or generating set, it's burning fuel or oil or gas or coal, and the electrical load can be small or large.

If the power draw on the power station/genset triples, you don't need another two power stations, or another two gensets - it's just that that power generating system works a bit harder and maybe the fuel consumption goes up a bit.

During the night, the electrical load on power stations is low - but they're still running - so perhaps the EV's being recharged overnight will get their energy from this normally wasted power plant operation output.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Most of those who own EVs already do this as they plug the car in when they get home. This is not a problem at present as the number of EVs is tiny compared to ICE vehicles.

The issue is that the old coal fired power stations are nearing the end of their useful life and while wind and solar are beginning to make inroads there is a very long way to go. Coal fired power simply cannot be turned down much and to remain efficient must produce power continuously regardless of demand.

Storage especially pumped hydro can provide a lot of off peak demand but we have done little to get this going other than the flawed Snowy 2 project.

As EVs begin to become more common the charging problem will increase so good planning is essential. We are playing catch up due to the last LNP government doing virtually nothing in its 10 year stint at the helm other than being forced to make commitments they had no idea how they would  be able to achieve.

Across the ditch they already produce over 80% of their energy  from renewables, mostly hydro which they have in abundance and an increasing geothermal industry. Their biggest problem is farting cows with a huge Dairy industry.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1