Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

annual roadworthiness inspection?

In Vic, roadworthy tests are only done when transferring ownership the car, or when picked up by the police. Not even for rego renewal. You can sell a car without a roadworthy, it is the responsibility of the buyer to obtain the RWC to complete the transfer. That's why used car dealer adverts state "The price quoted excludes government charges", or "The price quoted is the drive-away price" which includes RWC, remaining rego, and stamp duty, and quite often 12 months warranty. In either case, insurance is the buyers responsibility. So identical cars can be advertised for widely differing prices.

• Informative 1

NO FORCE !.

Against ic models.  Then Were do we fly them.

I gave away model flying when the law said "  NOT ALLOWED ", I have a flying field down the street, 

but " electric " only, as is every field I tried .

The only one,s are on registered airfields at the pleasure of the owner. 

Or am I wrong again , as I didn,t try too hard in Australia ,

spacesailor

Is it just me that is worried about all of that automation? There are issues already with water getting into on-board computer modules, and in any system, there is a weak link of some sort. There are lots of vids with autonomous driving fails.. And if AI has prescience, then it may decide to start mowing people down who don't drive that brand (OK.. the latter is fantasy.. I hope).

• Agree 1

OME, flat-spotting of all the wheels on the India-Pacific train was reported. Apparently some GA pilot saw the train heading west into the sunset, so he dropped down to just above the rails and went straight for the train. As he got close, he turned on his landing lights and pulled up.

Last I heard, they are still seeking the guy who is up for hundreds of flat-spot train wheels.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Getting back to electric cars. The main advantage is their simplicity  of servicing and lack of radiators head gaskets water pups exhaust systems  drive shafts CV joints etc.. Waiting a bit and avoiding the Hybrids which still have all those complexities might be the way to go.  Nev

• Agree 4

A mate at the Men's Shed, who at one stage was Service Manager at Bib Stillwell Ford,  was telling us yesterday that labour on exchanging a CV joint was quoted as one and a half hours, at a cost of $150. He said he could do it easily in half an hour, and if he really tried, he coud do it in 20 minutes.

• Informative 1

This is a picture of my sons Tesla.  But wait EVs cant tow.....can they?   And wont EVs end the weekend? 

Scott Morrison defends accusing Bill Shorten of trying to ‘end the weekend’

By the way the boat was built by my son's business partner/housemate.  It is a replica of an 18th century Revenue Cutter.   Masts and sails yet to be built and installed.  

305217548_10158942485797584_1834170525363730877_n.thumb.jpg.437ed48335714b6f7352adf326187052.jpg

Edited by octave
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

The main advantage is their simplicity  of servicing and lack of radiators head gaskets water pups exhaust systems  drive shafts CV joints etc.

My sister's nephew looks like wanting to become a motor mechanic. He's quite competent now, at 16 years old, and I have no doubt that he'd breeze through an apprenticeship. I spoke to him about the advantages of looking into becoming an AME and possibly a LAME. I pressed the point that an AME has a wide field to work in - engines, airframes, avionics and that within those fields there are a lot of interesting specialities. Then I asked him if he liked working in crud and crawling on his back under cars. I told him that AMEs hardly ever get covered in crud and work standing up. I also told him that an Australian-qualified AME could travel the world and be sought after everywhere, not like  motor mechanics who are a dime a dozen. I even told him that I could arrange Work Experience with one of my clients.

Why was I pushing this idea was that, as Facthunter has said, EVs don't need mechanics in the same way as ICs do, so the demand in the future will only be to provide a "remove and replace"  service for small vehicles. Even diesl powered vehicles may go the way of the Sinclair dinosaur. Character of the Week: Dino of Sinclair Oil Corporation in 2022 | Vintage  tin signs, Tin signs, Motor oil

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Do all electric cars not have transmissions or CV joints? I thought a lot had an electric motor in place of the IC engine and a simplified drive train.

An electric motor at each wheel sounds good, but one of the things most car manufacturers have been trying to do for years is to reduce unsprung weight. A motor at the wheel will not do that, in fact it would result in a very rough ride on less than perfect roads.

Single electric motor front wheel drive EV must have some form of CV joint and differential & at least a diff at the rear. Electronic traction control though is much easier and far more precise. In wheel motors are not a new idea. The Lohner-Porsche of 1900 had in wheel electric motors.

The Lightyear One has electric motors in each wheel. Also the Aptera, the most efficient electric car yet developed & about to hit the market has in wheel electric motors. With a 100 kWH battery it has real world range of 1600 km. In wheel electric motors are lighter more efficient & get rid of transmission issues but pose other problems. These though are being overcome as we speak.

The issues are detailed in the link below though it is over a year old and weight issues have already been addressed..

https://evcentral.com.au/why-dont-evs-have-four-in-wheel-motors/

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

Robert G. Le Tourneau invented the "electric wheel" for earthmovers in 1950. Other earthmoving manufacturers soon "cottoned on", and a large percentage of mine dump trucks today are electric wheel driven.

https://www.oemoffhighway.com/electronics/power-systems/electric-motors/article/22236641/historical-construction-equipment-association-hcea-the-electric-wheel

More good news on the EV front - this time, a substantially improved electric motor from researchers at UNSW. They've re-engineered the current electric motor used in EV's to be able to run at a much higher speed, which therefore increases its efficiency, and also reduces its weight for a set power output.

They've also managed to reduce the amount of rare earth requirements in the magnets, so they look to be on a winner here.

They developed the new motor design utilising their own AI-assisted optimisation programme, which studies the 4 main requirements needing to be optimised - namely the electrical, magnetic, mechanical and thermal parameters - and which programme then produces the optimum design by a process of elimination.

This motor design is the 120th generation analysed by the programme.

https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/science-tech/new-very-high-speed-motor-offers-improved-power-density-use-electric-vehicles

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Winner 1