GRIPES

Phil Perry

Playing scrabble these days is so easy because nobody knows how to spell anymore. I got away with nite instead of night or knight.

Nite...term used by school children these days when it gets dark outside

Nite...term used by school children when little crawly things take residence in their hair

(keeping up with the English language and the education standards of today)

• 3 years later...

Partners / Wives squeezing a toothpase tube in the middle. . . . .This triggers my OCD !

I've even gone to the extent of buying some horrible tasting stuff from a Polish corner shop. . .Gawd knows what they put in it but t certainly makes Both my teeth lovely and white. . . .

Bloody JURY service. . . .I've never been called and YES I know,. .. somebody has to do it, but why MY Missis ?. . .she doesn't drive, and the public transport from here to Stafford Crown Court means 2 buses each way, one of these services only runs once every 45 minutes, so if she missed one. . . .so muggins has to take her to the court every morning for 9 AM, and then bring her back at 4.30 PM for two bloody weeks ! . . . She's mutton Jeff,. . .and she told them this on the form. . .but they obviously think she's trying to get out of it ! . . . I hope she doesn't inadvertantly cause some poor individual to be sentenced to death by hanging, for a parking offence. . . .

I have to agree about the unneccessary background 'Music' ? on these radio and TV news shows . . .a favourite one here is a 'Dumdiddle Dumdiddle Dum'. . .rather like the drum / bass line in the old 'Bonanza' cowboy show in the sixties, playing throughout short radio news spots. . . dunno who thought that this was a clever idea,. . . BBC Radio 'One' 'Newsbeat' started it off. . .but they took the 'Beat' bit too literally I think ! Your 'Clicking' example is a weird one for sure. .

Reacting to subtle ways of getting inside your head?. Big subject. Trained people spend their whole effort trying to exert influence (control) over others to sell stuff etc Subliminal, colours, mood music. fear, hate speak, greed envy, you self image. It works, and they get more clever at it all the time. Nev

Reacting to subtle ways of getting inside your head?. Big subject. Trained people spend their whole effort trying to exert influence (control) over others to sell stuff etc Subliminal, colours, mood music. fear, hate speak, greed envy, you self image. It works, and they get more clever at it all the time. Nev

I love you Nev.

Damn, I got to stop listening to Matt Munroe while reading the forum.

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting you reactivated this thread Phil. Had a look back through some of the posts.

I have one similar to your post a couple of pages ago about background music(?) to news reports. We have a radio station in Melbourne which insists on playing a clicking sound behind the traffic reports, so you think you have left the turn indicator on. Infuriating.

You haven't been posting sufficient funny pictures over the last few months Peter. . .which I then steal for re-posting on several of my English Blogs. It is for this reason that I troll the RF Archives for good and / or recycled, but forgotten material. There are always Victi. . .er,. . .NEW commenters who may have missed it the first time around. . . .spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
Phil, was that toothpaste called peridontax? it uses sodium bicarbonate and its great stuff, but now I have to buy it over the net from the Ukraine.

Can't recall Bruce,. . .my Dad used something like that in the 1950s I think. . .but me Grandad refused to use any kind of toothpaste, he reckoned that he didn't hold with men using Cosmetics ! ! !

I've probably asked you this before, but if I haven't. . .I see you're from Gawler. One of my good mates was working in the UK for a couple of years back in 2004 / 5, he had an ultralight of some sort and flew from a field near Gawler too. ..he joined our club and helped me to build an X'Air and also my hangar. . .great bloke. . name of GEOFF KEMP. he'd have to be in his mid seventies now if he's still with us.. . .I say that as he had a brain operation here befre he retired and went back to S.A. I've tried to locate him by messaging a couple of flying cubs in the past, . . .but had no replies. . .

I'll check with the club historians Phil ( yes we really do have a history group) . I don't personally remember a member called Kemp, but there are local farmers with that name.

Our club was purely gliding until we bought a Jabiru in about 1999 and these days it runs about 50% power. And would you believe, the gliding and power lots even speak to each other.

(Unlike this airfield in NSW where there are 3 mutually hostile gliding operations..why do people have to be so pig-headed?)

Back to your friend..just because I don't remember him doesn't mean that much. We once had about 300 members and I would have known 50 or so.

I reckon its great to catch up with old friends from our youths. Whatever made you friends turns out to still be there I reckon.

Did the brain operation cause the return to Australia and if so was it considered a success?

No, hs job here was finished, he was charged with closing down and selling off his company's assets here in the UK, after their products were undercut by imports. The medical problem was unrelated, but his home was in Gawler. . . .

Phil, the Kemps had a farm at Roseworthy, which is about 3 miles from Gawler. I think the family still own it.

Does Roseworthy jog a memory? These days it is becoming an outer suburb of Gawler.

Gawler got its airfield in WW2 when paranoia about the Japanese advance was at its maximum. It was Australia's last line of defense and there was actually a pill-box defensive gun position on the airfield. The land was taken from local farmers, and according to one of those farmers, it was supposed to be returned when the war was over.

Phil, the Kemps had a farm at Roseworthy, which is about 3 miles from Gawler. I think the family still own it.Does Roseworthy jog a memory? These days it is becoming an outer suburb of Gawler.

Gawler got its airfield in WW2 when paranoia about the Japanese advance was at its maximum. It was Australia's last line of defense and there was actually a pill-box defensive gun position on the airfield. The land was taken from local farmers, and according to one of those farmers, it was supposed to be returned when the war was over.

THANKS Bruce. I'll look into that further. There are dozens of old WW2 airfields all over the eastern side of the country, even though they went back to farming after the war, you can still see the original layouts from the air.

I DO so hope that Geoff is still with us, cracking bloke. Whilst here, he was sourcing parts for a 'Tipsy Nipper' aircraft, which he couldn't find back home. I put him on to a bloke not far from here who had a couple of them in bits. . . Be nice to find he got it flying. . .

Thanks again for digging mate, much appreciated !

Latest gripe. Had a corneal transplant in my right eye on Wednesday. Before the op the doc said I'd be about a week off work. It's been 6 days and I'm flat out just trying to open my eye and I think the doc left s packet of razor blades in there

• 2 weeks later...
Latest gripe. Had a corneal transplant in my right eye on Wednesday. Before the op the doc said I'd be about a week off work. It's been 6 days and I'm flat out just trying to open my eye and I think the doc left s packet of razor blades in there

Ouch! How goes the eye?