GRIPES

Phil Perry

They apparently have experimental "young pills" being tested on mice, and if all goes well they will be available for the rich in 20 years.

The mice are getting younger though.

Now here's the good bit... they are making these pills out of red wine, so we don't have to wait... good news huh.

I recommend a daily half bottle dose for your health.

• 5 months later...

I have just encountered a word that I had never before seen, read, nor heard. . . .

This Grieves me, as a practitioner of letters. I shall begin using it as often as possible, since it's meaning PERFECTLY describes ANYTHING uttered in a Government speech or written report.

[ATTACH]49331._xfImport[/ATTACH]

pleonastic - definition and meaning

See if this applies to anything that YOU have read or seen recently. . . .Just goes to show that I am not as utterly Brilliant at the written word as I thought. spacer.png

Pleonasm.thumb.PNG.76fe32450c3d95b30acd3c47e74771eb.PNG

In actual fact, I've never heard of it.

I feel Better now Pete,. . .I thought it was just me BUT. . .I phoned my Two University Double degree Graduate Daughters, . .. and guess what ?. . .they had never heard of it either. . . .

They Also, obviously never studied the Classical works of Cicero.. . . ( Don't go there mate,. .. it's FILLED with Pleonalistic Bollox. . . . .)

I have just encountered a word that I had never before encountered. . . .

This Grieves me, as a practitioner of letters. I shall begin using it as often as possible, since it's meaning PERFECTLY describes ANYTHING uttered in a Government speech or written report.

[ATTACH=full]3262[/ATTACH]

pleonastic - definition and meaning

See if this applies to anything that YOU have read or seen recently. . . .Just goes to show that I am not as utterly Brilliant at the written word as I thought. spacer.png

Phil you may not of heard of the word, but you have been known to be guilty of the act.

As has many of us. spacer.png

Nev, with all due respect, I would suggest your correction could be made much clearer by the addition of suitable punctuation, eg " Wouldn't "has" be "have"? " Now, while I am on a severely pedantic mission, I would have thought that "many" should be capitalised. For those who are a bit curious, yes I have FAR too much time on my hands at present.

I never thought that being a member on this forum would be such a challenge in correct english!

David

One could describe Sir Humphrey Appleby as a pleonastic fantastic.

Sir Humphrey's Scriptwriter MUST have worked inside UK Government Civil Service surely ? . . .'Gobbledeyspeak', interspersed with many pleonasms are the order f the day for all prognistications and is need carried out so that no one outside the Government even half understands what is actually being said. . . .

Phil you may not of heard of the word, but you have been known to be guilty of the act.As has many of us. spacer.png

Oh Sod it Geoff,. . . I was hoping that no one had noticed. . . . .You certainly know how to hurt a guy and cause him pain ( **Pleonasm Warning** )

PHIL

" . .I phoned my Two University Double degree Graduate Daughters, . .. and guess what ?"

here's ONE THAT I HAD lots OF CANNING FOR !.

So & Sow & sew are all pronounced ******* .

that's word No., four, is what I said is a word,

Big mistake with BullyBoy Teachers of that era, Three weeks of twice daily triple canning. (left hand, right hand, & rear end!.

BUT I can still verbal the word, even if I can't spell it.

spacesailor

PHIL" . .I phoned my Two University Double degree Graduate Daughters, . .. and guess what ?"

here's ONE THAT I HAD lots OF CANNING FOR !.

So & Sow & sew are all pronounced ******* .

that's word No., four, is what I said is a word,

Big mistake with BullyBoy Teachers of that era, Three weeks of twice daily triple canning. (left hand, right hand, & rear end!.

BUT I can still verbal the word, even if I can't spell it.

spacesailor

I feel your pain Sir. A lot of people mix up There, Their and They're,. . as well as Your, and You're. . ..although the latter examples are not a words, but a sloppy way of joining two words. My English class teachers were not as violent as my Mum, but I had an Ex-WW1 Artilleryman Maths master who was a bloody sadist. We were given just ONE chance, then it was the stick or a high velocity blackboard rubber. He rarely missed either. . .

Ahhhh . . .Fond memories.

WE "Don't/Cant" disclose all.

AND, those aaarsoles couldn't be prosecuted. But I had an "Uncle" who was visited by the police after "someone" bloodied a couple of nasty teachers. ( I was sporting another broken arm !.

The oldest "school in England", Robin Hoods maid Marian went there & stayed in the Nunnery, Bloody Germans couldn't do us kids a favor (favour) by blowing the shit out of it.

Named after the street that went around the Nunneries orchard, As all the area belonged to the church

Had barbed wire & Glass shards atop the walls to keep us in.

spacesailor

There's some pretty bad stories about back there Spacey. Often the police went along with it. especially IF they were Catholic. Officers Murphy, O'Brien ( generic) Look what happened in Maitland NSW to the principal whistleblower. and the Irish Orphanages 100 years ago... Nev

Hold on, Facthunter.

Can you prove positive that similar activities did not go on in the prestigious Protestant schools?

I think we have to be ecumenically honest and accept that anywhere where young people lived, or live, in institutions out of sight of their families, these paedophile maggots crawl in like blowfly maggots onto a dead wether.

You are right! One should always praise those who work in military medecine.

There are numerous reports of the use during times of war of sterile blow fly larvae in open wounds to remove decaying tissue and to prevent bacterial growth. (From Encycylopedia Britannica)

• 4 weeks later...