GRIPES

Phil Perry

I hate litter, but more than the ferals who drop it, I hate the lack of deposit legislation which should be applied to cardboard food and drink containers. And the bottle and can deposit is not big enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Why is it that whenever you flick to another channel to see what's on, you always land on a commercial?

Its because the advertising is only occasionally interrupted by the programmes.

There used to be rules about the amount of advertising on TV, but some time ago the broadcasters explained to the governing body that the advertising industry would never be able to put too many ads on because the viewers wouldn't watch it. Well, this viewer doesn't (ok, I do occasionally watch Formula 1 and Moto GP) but there must be lots who do ....

My viewing is restricted to Shaun the Sheep (ABC2 @ 1850), Spics and Specs (ABC2 @ 1900) and Doctor Who (ABC2 @ 1930 Mondays).

David

I hate litter, but more than the ferals who drop it, I hate the lack of deposit legislation which should be applied to cardboard food and drink containers. And the bottle and can deposit is not big enough.

At least you have a bottle and can deposit in SA. The billionaires who own Coke and its subsidiaries have been very successful in preventing a national scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the economy can pay 50 billion for useless submarines. Well not quite useless... they make the more fearful of us feel safer somehow, so that is their use.

Personally, I would try to make the fearful feel safer by explaining that a manufacturing capacity was what really made a nation like ours safer. Keeping Ford and Holden here would be a start.

I keep hearing that we can't manufacture anything here because of the cost of our Labour. (ie, we don't have enough desperately poor workers)

However, for the manufacture of a motor car, for instance, the process is so highly automated, that it seems to me that the payroll for workers must be diminishing in the equation. Add to that, we don't have to pay to ship all the raw materials from another country, and it should be possible to compete internationally.

Maybe there is a problem with the bureaucrats controlling business (politics), or maybe a logistics problem due to poor transport infrastructure (think highways and railroads)

I reckon Bex's experience is telling.

It is the attitude of the bureaucrats which is the job-killer. Here they have the attitude " how can we send you broke", while in China it is "how can we help you succeed?".

I would like to bring Bex back to cull our bureaucracies.

Our government did keep the Aussie motor industry here for years, so much so that Ford and GM plus others kept asking for more. When it wasn't forthcoming they threatened to pull out and painted themselves into a corner. Kodak did the same and no doubt other overseas businesses did also. All business here seems to want to be paid to stay. We should not have reduced tariffs, so that foreign companies would have to build here or gace import tariffs. It may sound wonderful to have a level playing field, but not when foreigners control the wind direction.

I have read that in Australia, one LAME can only supervise 3 laborers, while in Singapore it is 10.

So it is cheaper to fly planes to Singapore to get them serviced. Level playing field?

I find this story hard to believe, surely our bureaucrats are not THAT bad?

• 1 month later...
Mongrels who deface road signs and those who throw their litter on the side of our roads.

Yeah,. . .it really irks me as a shooter, to see the terrible target grouping on road sign faces. . .maybe they should slow the ute down a little more before firing ? ?

I must say, about the only program I watch regularly on ABCWho is Anh's Brush with Fame. Normally can't stand their stuff. Watch a lot of stuff on Foxtel, comedy, technology, sport, etc., anything aviation, and a lot of Seven. I like UKTV. I record a lot of programs and edit out the commercials and channel promo's before burning them to DVD. A 'one hour' program usually edits down to 42 minutes, give or take.

UKTV, Particularly OLD BBC comedy output used to be brilliant, but now it's all gone PC I'm afraid, much like many other things. They would never get away with the humour of Monty Python, 'FAWLTY TOWERS' or 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' nowadays. . .especially the 'Love Thy Neighbour' series. . .WAY too racist or something elsist. . . Adverts are a pain I agree, although they have to be there, I just wish that the ad breaks were less frequent and extended. . .

I was watching a re-run of one of Brian Cox's 'The Solar System' progs a couple of nights ago on a 'Freeview' channel, The one hour episode was actually 36 minutes. The rest taken up with several blocks of 7 or 8 ads. If you tried to watch re-runs on freeview the brilliant David Attenborough's 'Life on Earth' BBC shows, . .they were even more heavily ad laden. . . .

• 1 month later...

Good grounds for complaints guys. I recommend checkout rage.

Here's what sets me off at a checkout .. you wait for ages while the woman in front searches in her purse for the right change. THEN she holds up the line for nearly as long repacking the blasted purse before moving along.

I've offered to build my wife the ultimate handbag (see-thru compartments for everything, LED lights to illuminate the depths of each cavernous pouch, clips and slots to hold oft-used items...

For some reason she declined. She still rummages around looking thru this week's handbag for keys, phone, diary... The worst of it is that the bloody bag is always left open; a thief could grab anything out of it. It's one of life's mysteries why things don't just fall out.

It's amazing. I've seen my wife unpack her handbag to find something, then cram everything back in... including receipts and used tissues!! WTF??

Ahhh. .Tissue. . . .( unintended joke ) Wifey 'Nicks' a bunch of toilet tissue from the supermarket toilets every week. This is that awfully narrow stuff and I refuse to risk using it. She still whinges at me for griping and insisting on the 'Proper' high quality stuff. . .

Ahhh. .Tissue. . . .( unintended joke ) Wifey 'Nicks' a bunch of toilet tissue from the supermarket toilets every week. This is that awfully narrow stuff and I refuse to risk using it. She still whinges at me for griping and insisting on the 'Proper' high quality stuff. . .

We have his and hers crappers at our place.

She was out the other day and I was up that end of the house so I used hers.

Buggered if she didn't have the softest multiply sh!t paper money could buy, compared to the sand paper she buys for my throne room.

Well I swapped it over after she went to bed last night and you should have heard the squeal at 0130 this morning.

PS. It is not so bad out here, I have convinced the dog to move over a bit and give me some more room.

We have his and hers crappers at our place.She was out the other day and I was up that end of the house so I used hers.

Buggered if she didn't have the softest multiply sh!t paper money could buy, compared to the sand paper she buys for my throne room.

Well I swapped it over after she went to bed last night and you should have heard the squeal at 0130 this morning.

PS. It is not so bad out here, I have convinced the dog to move over a bit and give me some more room.

That's gold.

Another way to get her to squeal would be stretching some cling film over the bowl then put the seat back down...