Silly Picture Thread.

Phil Perry

[ATTACH=full]47021[/ATTACH]

This picture reminds me of a Club flight to the Isle of Man TT many years back, when I flew the very first Foxbat A22 in the UK (G-FBAT) and not long after leaving base, I noticed that the 'Bunch' of aircraft ( 12 of them ) who had left before us, were all circling a lake like a load of demented blowflies for some reason. A radio call solved the mystery. All the pilots had copied the GPS co-ords from one feller who had got it severely wrong somehow, and a few of them had got doubts, as the next 'Point' was due West, where it should have been Northerly. . .so they were all circling a lake, right next to the Southern end of the Liverpool / Manchester VFR 'Corridor' and precariously close to busting the Manchester CTR. No transponders in microlights back then, so I can only imagine how nervous the Manchester sector controller must have been, with a dozen un-identified blobs 'Kissing' his airspace. . . .

I must mention here that not all the machines carried GPS and I was one of them, being an old fart, I just used the same route I'd used many times before, using 'Old tech' Nav charts. They then asked to 'Phollow Phil and George' and off we went, up the corridor, between Lpool and Mcr, then up the West Coast, along the edge of the beautiful Lake District, skirting inland 5nm to avoid the Sellafield Nuclear reactor exclusion zone, and coasting out at St. Bees lighthouse near Whitehaven for a direct 28nm track across the Glassy smooth Irish Sea, to Andreas near the North end of the Island, where there was ( still is ) an old WW2 airfield for camping upon.

One day, I'll have to dig out some of the photographs my oppo took of the 'Gaggle' as we crossed the Irish sea . . .George and I circled back behind to make sure that they all made it across, as Two of the number were 'Non - Radio ' ( Incidentally, total track distance was 192nm each way. . .with one refuel stop near Morecambe bay )

Some Serious Pi$$ and mirth was taken around the campfire that night, at the expense of the 'High tech GPS'ers' . . . Trouble with any computer, garbage in = similar product out. I wonder if the term 'SADNAV' came from situations like this ?

Just referring to my comment in the post above regarding 'SADNAV'. . . Twice in the past six months I have eaten free meals, delivered from 1 x Balti ( Indian ) restaurant, and 1 x Chinese 'FEAST' loads of stuff, enough to feed a family. . . delivered by part time guys, using Postcodes as Satnav references. In both cases, I was working 'Somewhere' on the property, either in the garage, or upstairs in the loft, and the Kidz / Missus just acdepted the deliveries thinking that I was responsible. . . .the thing with UK post codes is that they apply to 4 or 6 houses in the same road,. . .and if the delivery bloke doesn't double check thehouse number then these problems will occur. In both cases, I contacted the restaurants concerned to explain that we didn't order the stuff but they said that we might as well keep it as it could not be re-delivered now. . . .

The Chinese one lasted us three days,. . there was so much of it. . . . . SADNAV YAY ! ! ! !

Just referring to my comment in the post above regarding 'SADNAV'. . . Twice in the past six months I have eaten free meals, delivered from 1 x Balti ( Indian ) restaurant, and 1 x Chinese 'FEAST' loads of stuff, enough to feed a family. . . delivered by part time guys, using Postcodes as Satnav references. In both cases, I was working 'Somewhere' on the property, either in the garage, or upstairs in the loft, and the Kidz / Missus just acdepted the deliveries thinking that I was responsible. . . .the thing with UK post codes is that they apply to 4 or 6 houses in the same road,. . .and if the delivery bloke doesn't double check thehouse number then these problems will occur. In both cases, I contacted the restaurants concerned to explain that we didn't order the stuff but they said that we might as well keep it as it could not be re-delivered now. . . .

The Chinese one lasted us three days,. . there was so much of it. . . . . SADNAV YAY ! ! ! !

I've always been impressed with your postcode system, as you know ours just shows a chunk of suburb or a big chunk of rural area, but yours as you say pretty much gets you to a couple of houses.

I'm impressed with the "what3Words" geo location system especially for those areas where addresses are approximate at best.

If you enter the string "tallest.highly.aircraft" it will take you to the position of my aircraft in my hangar.

check out what3words.com

Dunno who the favourite 'International / Local' delivery agent is in Australia,. . .there may be loads,. . .I used to supply van graphics for several, the last one being 'Lappins Van Lines' "National deliveries a specailality. . ." ( 1970s ) Our biggest supplier in the UK is Amazon,. . .and One of their 'Deliverers' is UPS international.

My next door neighbour's Son worked as a van driver for UPS, and was tasked with delivering eighty parcels per day MINIMUM. 80 a day ? ? ? with the crap roads, and traffic snarl ups we get here in the Midlands ? If you didn't break every speed limit under the sun, ALL DAY EVERY DAY,. . . you wouldn't have a bloody chance.

Young lad said to me the day before yesterday, that he'd had a really good day,. . .started at 0500, and returned to his depot empty at 17:30. His manager said,. . 'you work until Six mate,' . . .take another load. . . .so he was forced to load up again and take another 80 parcels out, and he gave up totally exhausted at 23:10, with 35 items undelivered . He is now looking for another job as they finished him for not completing the gig. UPS Vans are just under the weight where a driver has to have a Data Disc, inserted into a logging machine, to make sure that he does not work more than a certain number of hours. . .and has to have breaks after certain times to make sure he is not a danger to other road users. . .

Total asshoels are running big business. . . .

I

I've always been impressed with your postcode system, as you know ours just shows a chunk of suburb or a big chunk of rural area, but yours as you say pretty much gets you to a couple of houses.

It's generally not that bad as you say Marty,. .. but occasionally it DOES have it's advantages. . . .apart from the probs I mention in the other post, where the driver has no time at all to make sure your parcel is safely delivered, he doesn'twant to take it back to the depot, and SHOULD write a card and tell you where he's left it,. . .but half of them don't even do that. . .friends have had double deliveries, when ordering from places like Amazon,. . where the original driver put the parcel in their 'Recycle' wheelie bin. . .and didn't leave a card ( takes time does that ) and complained to the supplier, and get a second item for free, and then discover the first one later. . . ., or NOT if the bin gets emptied before thy look there . . .

My Daughter got 2 iPad minis due to that problem ! ! !

Oh,. . .I forgotto mention Marty,. . I DIdn't know that the Ozzies don't use post codes. . . .I left in 1983 remember. . . my Ausknowledge is frozen in a timewarp. . . .where all aircraft had the same VH reggoe. . .and it didn't really matter what bloody medical you had to fly thru controlled sky. . . . People here in the UK think that they are hard done by with various regs, but I think that the 'Laid Back' Aussies have turned regulation for it's owwn sake into a surgical science . . . I would never have believed that it could evolve this way were it not for you guys making it plain. . . . .'We' european and UK regulations are beig relaxed now at an astounding rate,. . .single seat deregulation, no permit to fly required ( Dangerous - My opinion ) Seriously reduced Medical requirements,. . .Again, . .Could be dangerous,. . .Type one diabetics allowed to fly if they demonstrate to an instructor the ability to inject whislt being P1 in an aircraft,. . .even Epileptics allowed to act as Pilot in command. . .these are just a few of the relaxations,. . . I wonder why it's all going 'the other way' after so many decades of high pressure regs . . .? ( Rhetorical )

We do, but they're not very descriptive. My postcode is 7150 but that encompasses about 4 townships.

Ah yes, what a Dim sim, I remember when living in Aus, that the last line of our address had a four figure code for our place in Vermont . . . Victoria 3133 ( I think ?) I see what you mean about being 'General' . . .SA = 5xxx , WA = 6xxx etc. . .same with the radio 'Ham' callsign prefixes, VK3, VK5 , VK7 etc. . .

Phil, here's an area you are familiar with. The shaded area is postcode 3132, Mitcham.

[ATTACH=full]47079[/ATTACH]

Remember it well Peter,. . .our house was 285 Mitcham road, then renumbered to 523 for some reason. . .the joint was about 500 metres up from the Canterbury road intersection just below the outline on your map. . . I used to have a really good grasp of the Melbourne layout, I got 'Talked into' getting a taxi licence by an Old pommie taxi owner friend, and worked a couple of days a week part time to boost my earnings in 1972. . . . and it's amazing how fares will never show you the long way around a route ! ! I used to know all the 'Suburbs within a suburb' all the places of interest like Two Up schools and houses of ill repute. . . Best way to find your way around a new City that is. . .and I only got threatened with rape, guns or knives three times in in a whole year ! . . .those were the halcyon days of civility mate. . . .