Where is everybody?

red750

3 hours ago, onetrack said:

Octave may have gone into a period of mourning, along with about 500,000 Indigenes - because the Voice referendum failed.

I can’t speak for him, but I left that discussion long ago. I have to protect what’s left of my mental health, which has taken a considerable hammering in recent weeks. I am disappointed at how easily my countrymen were manipulated and distracted from the simple issue at the centre of the Voice. I have been appalled at the ugly things said by people around me who I used to respect. I am shocked that Trump-style misinformation and baiting has infected Australia’s political landcape. 

During the last thirteen years I’ve recovering from the biggest trauma of my life, when I discovered- the hard way- just how few people I could depend upon. I’ve built a new and better life, with better people; these forums were a significant part of my recovery, but I’ll be staying away from this one.

I totally understand Shane Howard:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-18/goanna-shane-howard-returns-oam-referendum-result/102989978

• Like 2
  • Winner 1
  • Sad 2

I am always logged on. I have checked! 
I saw Octave here a couple of days ago.
But we need to attract some new talent, most of us have been here since the site was created and we were the active discusses of shite on the other site. Not many have crossed over since and few outsiders.

ian was talking about reintegrating the two sites, that might help.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

I can’t speak for him, but I left that discussion long ago. I have to protect what’s left of my mental health, which has taken a considerable hammering in recent weeks. I am disappointed at how easily my countrymen were manipulated and distracted from the simple issue at the centre of the Voice. I have been appalled at the ugly things said by people around me who I used to respect. I am shocked that Trump-style misinformation and baiting has infected Australia’s political landcape. 

During the last thirteen years I’ve recovering from the biggest trauma of my life, when I discovered- the hard way- just how few people I could depend upon. I’ve built a new and better life, with better people; these forums were a significant part of my recovery, but I’ll be staying away from this one.

I totally understand Shane Howard:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-18/goanna-shane-howard-returns-oam-referendum-result/102989978

Old K, if I have said anything that contributes to your loss of faith in human nature, I unreservedly apologise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

these forums were a significant part of my recovery, but I’ll be staying away from this one.

These forums have been a scaffolding on which I have sought to use to erect a new life after the loss of my wife and my move to a different location. These forums have allowed me to enter into discussions of a wide range of topics from the sublime to the ridiculous.  I consider each and every forumite a dear friend, but a friend with whom one can argue the toss, and the argument is only about the toss, not the spinner. I hope that what I have posted variously has enlightened or amused as necessary. 

The defeat of the referendum, although statistically expected from past referenda, will go down in History as marking the beginning of the end of the Australian way of politics. Simply because the level of political mudslinging and deceit on one side and incompetence on the other was permitted to reach a new highwater mark. 

In fact, I have this idea nagging me that, while Albo called for the referendum as a means of appearing pro-Aborigine, his inherent racism (which we all have, but as civilised people attempt to control) made him hope for its defeat.

• Informative 2
  • Winner 1

Thank you OME.

I am deeply saddened by the present withering of this forum.

I have leaned heavily upon it. Each and every member has given me strength and stimulated my thoughts on all kinds of matters. I respect everybody and I feel a personal loss whenever we lose an active participant. For any reason.

So thank you all for adding value to my day. Although I have only met a few face to face, in my mind all are valued friends.

• Like 3

Octave's been given an undeserved hard time occasionally and He has a lot more Patience than I do and always explains at length the Point he's trying to make. It's easy to make fun of some inputs but there's a need to give  everyone a fair go .  The "religious" person was Gnarly Gnu and he straight out attacked anyone without an invisible means of support. Non theist are used to this. There's too much division been used y the media and politics and it starts to pervade other relationships till the Bang for Bucks /. Effort is not worth it. There's a lot of work in putting a lot of your experiences in print. I've many times come close to removing myself from here. I respect Ian's efforts but the site is becoming moribund. In the last few days there were time s when I was the only person here. Gotta Go.  Nev

• Like 1

The number of people logged on does vary during the day and also by day. I was last on on Monday night, but all day Tuesday I was off because my day started at 5:30 am so I could attend a post-operative review at 7:00 am after which I I spent the day driving a circuitous 700 km route home. By the time I got home at 8.00 pm, I was too tired to log on here. This morning I had to take care of a week's worth of laundry, of which the last load is in its spin cycle. After I hang it out, I'll have to go into town for some shopping and to see Mum. So I'll not be logged back on until tonight, and maybe even not until tomorrow. That's how the numbers on line drop.

Have we developed ourselves into a clique into which it is hard for newcomers to break? I know that we wouldn't consider ourselves cliquey, but what would a newcomer think?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I think to be a part of this forum, you have to be first, a member of Recreational Flying, unless I am mistaken. This eliminates a lot of people. I do not log out from my laptop, even when it is shut down. When I power up, Rec Fly comes up almost as a home page. I click on Off Topic, and this site opens up and I am automatically logged in. I only log off from the Men's Shed computer, as it has public access. Newcomers would have difficulty in accessing the site.

• Informative 1

I agree with virtually everything you say, Onetrack. Apart from 2 or 3 with whom I exchange emails, mostly jokes or funny videos, my only friends are here on the two forums or at the Men's Shed (about 45 members). I don't get involved with anything or anyone outside of this. I realise that I hold different political points of view to most of the members here, but that's fine unless they hammer away with the same thing all the time. As for religion, well, I'm a dropout. Haven't been to a regular church service in years, the only recent one was my wife's memorial service.

I appreciate the knowledge of O.M.E. I suggested he should have a crack at one of those TV trivia shows. I think he would clean up the prize pool. Most members here are more knowledgable than me. It helps me stave off dementia/Alzheimers. I also spend a good deal of time perusing Facebook, which is where I get most of my silly pictures, signs and videos. I post the ones I like best here to share the humour. There's not enough of that around.

• Like 2

A mutual friend has offered a couple of time to take me down the road to meet Facthunter, but I haven't taken it up.    I know others on the flying site, but not here. I do consider this part of my social life and, since Covid, I have been avoiding groups other than my Aero Club, which is my main connection with the civilised world. I would miss this site if it folded.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

I know I disagree with many as regards political and religious views. That's O.K., I'm fine with that, no skin off my nose if you don't believe in something that I believe in. I enjoy the level of intelligent discussion on here and I'm in awe at the level of education and knowledge of numerous contributors, and I enjoy the fact they share that knowledge. I've learnt a lot on here.

As long as the disagreement about the subject of a thread is confined to that thread, all is good. We can have a right donnybrook in one thread, and in another thread back each other to the hilt.  Let's look at religion. If Member A is an atheist and Member B is a believer, then if they debate their stances, the rest of us learn a lot about the topic of religious belief. We know that A and B will never convert each other, but their debate can and will dispel misconceptions. Then A and B can go to another thread and both of them advise Member K how to select an appropriate schweigel valve for K' needs and how to fit it.

Pop over to the Religion thread and take a look at my video post about the various religions.  I'm posting it because I think it is informative, but nothing in it would make me join any of the groups depicted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1