Where is everybody?

red750

I  go back to 2006 here and we have had a lot of very knowledgeable people leave during that time. That's  a big loss. Our ""group" is our strength with it's collective knowledge. That is the asset factor when dealing with Matters about  AVIATION. . Is that still the "glue" or have we changed/ morphed into something else?. Safety and understanding  is my  theme. . IF you look at activity,  there is a lot of "GUEST" traffic.  I suspect that arrives under the "sex and relationships" Link.  but I haven't gone deeply into it. Nev

• Informative 1

I reckon this site is by far the best place to get good technical advice with the minimum of commercially-driven people. I have never been disappointed.

And, there are questions which I reckon are non-trivial, ( like why do the democrats not support the least-objectionable republican ) which I really want to know about, and this is the best site around for that too. 

• Like 1

In the US IF you don't have access to a fortune, you remain invisible. Worship of money is the main religion. There's 100 million Pentecostals who believe Dog wants you to be rich conveniently to justify their total GREED.   Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1

Onetrack, I'd love to drop in for a guided tour of your workshop and projects. Same goes for everyone  else.

Unfortunately you chose to set everything up in a most inconvenient location at the other end of the planet.

If any of you, through some disastrous miscalculation in life, end up stranded at the southernmost end of the planet, let me or Marty know so we can catch up for a gossip.

We have been on socialaustralia.com.au for so long it's about time we organised a reunion.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I have to admit, when I fire up the computer,. this is the first stop before I log onto work (as I don't use the work computer for anything personal, when I am in London, it is only a mobile phone, so I go a little quiet as my fat fingers don't get on with keyboards, let alone little screens.

We don't agree on everything, but largely the discussion is about the issue; like in life, there are frustrating things and great things.

26 minutes ago, facthunter said:

have no idea how many GALS we have  here.?

I am guessing none; there was an American lady who came on a few years ago, but when someone made reference to Americans and Yanks, she took offence and made her displeasure known and promptly left. She took our cultural insensitivity as offensive; I wonder if we are also culturally insensitive to women in general? Are we sometimes a little too narrow focused, and occasionally too negative? Or do we just discuss things that don't interest anyone other than our demographic - which is sort of understandable.

Maybe we could start by sharing posts heere amongst our wider networks when we are discussing subjects that such posts could contribute to. I shareed a rec.flying post with my uk flyer forum (admittedly, haven't been on that one for a while), but they complained they couldn't access the post without signing up. I am not sure if socialaustralia has the same constraint. On the 10 pound pom thread, the stories of parents/ghrandparents that came out were very itneresting, so I posted it back to the youtuber who made the video but he wrote he had trouble accessing it. Maybe on the "Share" button at the top of the thread, a Copy Link option to provide a readable link to the post would be an idea, so we could post to other forums.

Of course, the more people we have, the more moderation will have to be done. Does Ian have a pool of enough volunteers to assist?

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Toongabbie seems like a bad place from what you describe of it. I see your need.   I have no idea how many GALS we have  here.? Would they feel welcome?  Nev

There is an old song which mentions  “cursed Toongabbie” as a penal settlement.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, onetrack said:

Octave may have gone into a period of mourning, along with about 500,000 Indigenes - because the Voice referendum failed.

This may have been meant in good humour, but without the benefit of body language, etc, it could be construed as derogatory and disrespectful. We are all able to express our opinions and Octave always backed his up with facts. He doesn't come across to be as someone who on one thing will take off;

And, from the polling booths where the majority of the population is ATSI, given there are almost a million ATSIs in Australia, I woudl say the number of those disheartened and wondering who cares about them is closer to a million.

[Edit] BTW, I am not meaning to be aggressive or insulting back.. just sometimes we all (myself included) need to re-read what we are about to post with the audience in mind.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Jerry - No, the sentence wasn't meant to be derogatory or disrespectful, but I was surprised that so many supporters of the Yes side of the referendum declared a period of mourning and effectively planned to withdraw from our "cruel white" society.

I think these people need to get over this childish behaviour, and set about developing a new and different approach to their aims, if they truly want to be part of a modern Australia.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1