What is oldness?

pmccarthy

When I watch old videos of music, comedians an so on, the ones who were older than me back then still look older, even if they were on their twenties at the time. I have studied the pictures and I don’t know why. Peter Paul and Mary look older. Dave Allen looks older. And so on. I should be thinking they are young, but they look old. 

Do you feel the same?

• Confused 1

Nope PMC. I reckon they look sooo young. But sometimes I see a recent picture of them and, just like me, they are getting old.

Remember Elvis?  He was older than me and looked it when I was a kid. But now, when I see a pic of him as a young man, I envy him as not having got old. Well the fact is that he did and he died years ago, mainly from ignorance and stupidity I reckon. But even as a mature guy, Elvis looked his age. Not older or younger, but with a good make-up artist that I don't have.

• Like 1

Me too nev...  I have exactly zero older males in my ancestry to find out what they suffered from. They all died much younger than I am right now. A whole bunch ( well 3) died at 48!  Not blood relations as far as I know. I thought that 48 was pretty old at the time, now I think it's real young.

My paternal grandfather looked terrible as I remember him....  his face was distorted from being kicked in the head by a horse. He was an ambulanceman in ww1 in france. I imagine he was trying to put a wounded soldier on a horse-dragged litter when the horse was startled by a nearby explosion.

He died from what the family said was the effects of poison gas, sometime in the early 1950's. But I can remember how he smoked a lot.

He was a great guy and 50 years ahead of his time in his ideas. I credit his genes for my dislike of authority.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I have the same 'male. ' longevity. 

But my wife's oldest sister is 99 and going well , ( at last FB Facebook) .

The wife has lost All her brothers & two sisters out of thirteen. 

My eldest bro passed at 56 with heart failure. 

My younger bro has disappeared,  nowhere to be found .

spacesailor

• Like 1

I have tried , quite a few years ago !.

But , if he doesn't want to be found , he could be in either  ,.

AMERICA  ( FROM  Being transferred from ) English Royal Navy.  

CANADA,  SOUTHTH AFRICA ,  

OOPS 

So long ago now I can't remember all the port's of call on his ,  three'  round the world ' with multiple naval fleets .

He did the ' horn pipe  ' dance, at ' Royal Edinburgh military tatoo ' while in the Royal Navy. 

And , has at least three children , who must be adults now .

spacesailor

• Informative 2

Don’t leave it too long. So many of those “family re-union” shows are tragic because mum dies before they track her down.

I’m the lucky one; tomorrow I’m heading north for a gathering of all my siblings and a few of their kids; they’re running a campdraft in memory of our young brother, who left us a year ago this Saturday.
I’m a crap horseman, but tempted to liven up the party by entering in the Novice event on a kid’s pony.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, facthunter said:

I came a gutser some years back on a skateboard. Everyone thought it was very funny but I couldn't get my breathe for what seemed like eternity.  Nev

Didn't you come out with some advice recently, about "acting your age"? What happened, for you to ignore your own advice??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

It was  quite a while back but still dumb idea. It's one of the reasons for the advice I gave. Gained the hard way..  Nev

Well, Nev,  I tried roller skates when I was a kid (kids have less distance to fall than grups). I instantly learnt not to trust any conveyance that has wheels and no brakes.

And I consider myself to be a slow learner (3 marriages, what more proof do you need?)

I am surprised that you took so long (and a skate board) to learn about wheels.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never seen nor ever heard of a Waratah Motorbike before, they never made it to W.A.. Interesting history behind the motorcycle.

My eldest brother owned a Panther 250cc and the 2nd eldest brother owned a 500cc Ariel that was a very troublesome POS. They didn't hang on to the motorbikes for long, they soon moved into Chev cars. The oldest brother bought a tired old '37 Chev, but the other brother bought a 1948 Chev Fleetmaster sedan, a very nice car.

The eldest brother nearly killed himself working on the '37 Chev at about age 18, he had it jacked up and supported on a stack of bricks, and the bricks fell over, and the car landed on him.

He got away with a bad gash to the underside of his lower arm, and managed to free himself by digging out the soft sand he was working on.

The other brother rolled his '48 Chev when he overtook a car, following another overtaking car, on a dusty limestone road - and the bloke being overtaken, pulled back into the centre of the road when the first car went past - not realising a second car (the brother) was overtaking, as well. He pushed the brother off the road and into a deep roadside ditch, and the old Chevy landed on her roof! Didn't do a lot of damage, a dent in the roof and in the bonnet, they built cars solidly in that era!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Gosh nomad, 3 marriages....  did you learn anything which we could use?

The other day, the wife said that she thought people might go extinct, on account of not having kids much. Well I pooh-pooed the thought, but now, since looking at the latest robot dolls, I'm starting to wonder ...   you can have a heated one for cold winter nights for example.

• Haha 2