Further Effects of "The Voice" debate

old man emu

If "nicer" people who you'd like as a neighbour say something, isn't THAT more "trustable" than people who have little regard for the truth and instead try to CONFUSE things and make ALBO suffer politically?. IF this fails how  could you  disregard the behaviour of people like LITTLE (to be) PROUD of And SKY?.. Nev

I have seen cattle stations , handed to abos, become shamefully neglected and money-losers. I have seen businesses in Alice Springs remain successful in abo ownership but whiteys running the place. 

On what evidence can you say that they, the abos, have not been given a chance? I reckon they have been given every chance but they don't have a work ethic and I don't see how a yes vote in a referendum would help in any way.

Octave and me are a bit like the religious vs the atheists. We are both wanting the other side to provide proof. Personally, I reckon the onus lies on the "yes" vote to give me a single good example of how this referendum will help at all.  

The Voice isn't another handout - it is the establishment of a representative body to consult on policy affecting Aboriginals.  But your examples are the reason why one is needed; the handouts don't appear to work and need something else - so consult with the people who are affected to ensure the resources provided have the best chance of meeting the outcome. Otherwise, Einstein’s definition of insanity - repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting different results will prevail.

To draw a parallel - if a kid walked up to you and said "I want to be a pilot but don't have the resources", and you handed the keys to a plane to him and said "here ya go!", would you expect the plane and the kid to come back in one piece?

Same with running businesses or anything else. And it isn’t an Aboriginal only thing either.. Many grants are handed out to startups with the support of mentors, etc, and they also fail. So, it's not only desirable, but vital a Voice is consulted to try and get the best from our tax dollar in achieving the outcomes for Aboriginals that our tax dollars will be spent on. And because of the history with previous ATSI representative bodies, especially when the LNP disingenously denied them resources to allow them to fail (and yes, there was one instance where there was some corruption - but let's look at all the other corruption to keep things in context), enshrining in the constitution such a representative body seems the best option.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I have seen cattle stations , handed to abos, become shamefully neglected and money-losers.

Bruce there are plenty of examples of that, but also plenty of white fellas have mismanaged what they have been given. 

I’m a bit cynical about some of these pastoral handbacks. What training had they been given in preparation for running these stations? I believe some of these runs had never been successful when experienced white fellas were in charge. I suspect they were set up to fail.

It reminds me of the Soldier Settlement scheme, when diggers who had survived The Great War were given a little parcel of land to farm. Some made a go of it, but many never had a hope, with little experience on too-small blocks of marginal land that the clever squatters had avoided. 

• Agree 1

Another ' NO ' .

Example: before " Ayers Rock " was Given to the natives , .

White's were happily climbing all over it , with dollars rolling in , to help with upgrading amenities.  

Now super expensive to " look " at it , & NO climbing at all .

Thanks for Nothing ! .

CAN'T CLIMB  a rock & Can't plant tree's .

What will that Voice ' STOP ' next .

No tourist on Gkari Island . No fishing the Barrier Reef .

( the Western Australian law is here as I couldn't find the initial )

"  spectator.com.au/ 2023/07/Aboriginal-heritage-law-and-the-voice-rowan-dean-was-right/  " .

spacesailor

I think you are conflating the Voice v. handouts, or, in the case of Uluru, land rights.  They occurred without the Voice and are results of people standing up for their rights, taking it to court, and the court applying the law to identify the declaratopn of terra nullius to be defective and essentially null and void; in the whitey legal system according to whitey laws. No Voice needed for that.

The voice will not consult on land rights claims - there is already a process on that.. it will consult on policies and yes - proposed new laws and law reforms. It is only consultative. No doubt, any proposal will still be debated in parliament, senate committees, etc.

BTW, I got a 404 error when using the link above.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 5:03 PM, octave said:

Those who are against on this forum have been pretty lame at providing a strong no-case argument. 

Octave, I am offended by this remark. Name calling convinces nobody.

I clearly stated my reasons for disliking the 'voice'. Then I left.

Let me summarise.

I oppose this 'voice', mostly because I have not seen any evidence of it solving the disconnect between the people in need, and the policy makers in federal government.

I believe this voice will worsen the situation at the grass roots.

My answer would be to go through the present bureaucratic system like a dose of salts and make it more effective.

As I see it a 'voice' will only place a new head overlooking the same old failing bureaucrats.

A voice will relieve a lot of guilty consciences without fixing anything.

And saying 'oh well I'll vote for it because I can't see it doing any harm', is vacuous.

Now, I'll leave you to your echo chamber.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

As I see it a 'voice' will only place a new head overlooking the same old failing bureaucrats.

It doesn't have supervisory powers, only consultative powers. Therefore it is the pollies, senate committees, parliamentary inquiries, and royal commissions that oversee or try to hold bureaucrats to account. However, the pollies and bureaucrats have to consult the Voice on policies/laws directly affecting Aboriginals (in the narrow sense - not the wider community). If the voice proffers an opinion that differs markedly from the proposals, then this will be made public and will bear pressure on the pollies and bureaucrats in the sense of transparency. So, while there is no supervisory powers, at least where there is a conflict of ideas, this will be aired and will at least give pollies and senior bureaucrats pause for thought.

A voice will relieve a lot of guilty consciences without fixing anything.

I think quite the opposite. If the Voice is not consulted or there is a transparent exchange of conflicting ideas it will, in so far as senior/executive public servants and pollies aren't social/psychopaths, potentially embarrass and possibly leave them and others with a guilty conscience (of course, except where votes are deemed gettable at the cost of doing the right thing).

And saying 'oh well I'll vote for it because I can't see it doing any harm', is vacuous.

In the context, it won't do harm, but ut may do good I think is the argument, so on balance, I would say it is not vacuous. However, I guess there can be a try-before-you-buy clause.

BTW - cut the normally genteel Octave some slack - Wolfie's mates were around 😉

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

I would like it if the Voice were charged with the responsibility of finding answers to difficult questions ( such as "how do we provide real employment in the tribal lands") but there is zero evidence that it will work like this.

I reckon it would just give increased power to the negative things like stopping whities from climbing rocks.

So, regretfully, and not liking the bad company, I am still voting "no".

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

Octave, I am offended by this remark. Name calling convinces nobody.

That was not intended to be name-calling but rather a critique of the general "no" case being put everywhere.    The usual complaint in politics is that it is the left who are offended by everything. The actual wording of the question and the constitutional implications are rarely discussed.  

Far from being in an "echo chamber" I do read a hell of a lot of information from both sides. Yesterday I trawled through the "no" case from the Australian Christian Lobby and I still could not find anything substantial other than the usual "if you do not understand it then don't vote for it" or "it will be divisive" etc.   If I wanted to be in an echo chamber I would not be here discussing it with you.

To me, the government imposing things will never work as well without input from the people it affects.  It may even happen that an advisory body may recommend measures that are far more dramatic than anything the government would decree. 

This is probably a little paternalistic but when raising children, at some stage when things are not going well, instead of laying down the law you bring them into the decision-making process. 

I doubt that anyone here will change anyone's mind and that is not my intention but I do think that both sides should try to understand the concerns of the other. It is all too easy (for both sides) to rely on vague anecdotes or fear.   

Edited by octave
  • Like 3

Consider this. Already the Whites have divided the country into Local Government Areas and set up consultative bodies called "Councils". These Councils have the function of providing a number of services to the people within those LGAs. Those services are funded in part by contributions from the people living there (Rates and Charges), and by Grants from State and Federal Treasuries. 

The things that a local Council will deal with are things that are brought to its attention by the people living in the LGA, as well as universal things that are common to all LGAs (roads, libraries, waste control etc.) Let me give you an example from my experience that you can empathise with.

Tooraweenah Aerodrome is typical of aerodromes owned by LGAs. It has been there for years after being established as part of an airline network. After the airline ceased operating, the aerodrome began to deteriorate as post-WWII aviation declined. An aerodrome that once sported three runways went to two runways and now has only one operational runway. The land surrounding the disused runways is leased out for agricultural production.

The Council continued to maintain the runway, but without much enthusiasm. A year or so ago, interest in the aerodrome's importance to local history and potential for providing an economic boost to the village economy was aroused within the community. Long, short: as a result the Council has taken a greater interest in putting time and money into supporting the locals' desires.

Where does this apply to the Voice and attending to the needs and desires of people living in areas their families have done for aeons? Clearly the needs of the people living around Uluru are different from those living in Central Victoria or the Illawarra coast of NSW? 

My opinion is similar to Nomadpete's in that it is the White bureaucracy that needs to be picked up by the neck and given a good shaking until the dead wood and empire builders are dislodged. Only after that has been done can local people be given the tools to identify and deal with those things that relevant to them, and which would improve their lives. 

Hasn't this method of group decision making process been the standard practice in Aboriginal culture from ages past?

Just as an aside, as I was writing this I heard in an ABC news bulletin that it has been reported that aboriginal health services organised locally have produced better result in improving Aboriginal health that the Federal or State funded services. Doesn't that suggest that central control isn't the best way to deal with dispersed problems?

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

4 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Hasn't this method of group decision making process been the standard practice in Aboriginal culture from ages past?

This is not a decision-making body but an advisory body. The advice can be rejected

5 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Doesn't that suggest that central control isn't the best way to deal with dispersed problems?

Again, not "central control" but a method of consultation.    

• Like 1

You missed my point. I'm advocating the establishment of local "advisory" bodies which would provide the advice to bureaucracy as to the the specific requirements of the people in that local area. The bureaucracy would then facilitate whatever was required to fulfil those requirements.

Isn't the Federal Government presently trying to tackle runaway consultancy fees? If these local advisory bodies were created, the consultancy fees are already being paid in the form of social service benefits. 

Basically what I am saying is that the bureaucracy already exists. The problem is that has divorced itself from the communities it was established to serve. It's broke, so fix it. 

I see the constitutional amendment as flimflam that isn't the fix that is required.

Maybe a shake up of the bureaucracy dealing with Aboriginal affairs would put the fear of retribution into other sections of the government bureaucracy.

• Like 2

A glaring problem with OME's idea ( which I like ) is the precedent of consultancy fees. Millions will be transferred to fat white ladies who are "legal" aborigines. This happens now of course.

If only a "work for the dole" scheme could establish such advisory bodies without millions of fees being handed out, then it should be supported.

If it doesn't have supervisory or veto powers it's a miillion dollar lame duck.

There are and have been aboriginal members of parliament and forner national president of the ALP who have had an opportunity to be the voice, and are recommending a No vote. Good enough for me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, red750 said:

If it doesn't have supervisory or veto powers it's a miillion dollar lame duck.

There are and have been aboriginal members of parliament and forner national president of the ALP who have had an opportunity to be the voice, and are recommending a No vote. Good enough for me.

Those examples are not valid arguements against the Voice. We all know how political parties bend people to their way of thinking. Potential candidates often perform political gymnastics to get preselected. Once elected, they are under enormous pressure to toe the party line, often against the interests of people they are supposed to represent.

What we really should be doing (as OME has, above) is coming up with positive alternatives. There are heaps of success stories about progress made by our indig people, but how often does the media tell us those stories?

• Winner 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

A glaring problem with OME's idea ( which I like ) is the precedent of consultancy fees. Millions will be transferred to fat white ladies who are "legal" aborigines. This happens now of course.

If only a "work for the dole" scheme could establish such advisory bodies without millions of fees being handed out, then it should be supported.

Bruce you may well be riight, but at least the money would be wasted in our country. Where is the outrage against the LNP over the billions they wasted on utterly corrupt foreign consultants?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1