Further Effects of "The Voice" debate

old man emu

• 2 weeks later...

Always trying to "Look on the brighter side of Life", I glanced at what the bookies are offering on the result of the Referendum. Blue Bet is offering  YES 3:1, NO 1.36:1, indicating they think the result will result in an amendment to the Constitution.  My guess is that as the date for the voting approached, the NO odds will move to evens or perhaps odds-on.

• Agree 1

I’m not optimistic, OME. A Referendum in this country has little chance without  bipartisan support and the conservatives are in real wreck-it-all-costs mode.

The sad reality is that heaps of voters are too lazy to do their homework, so they’re easily led by the cleverly-crafted No campaign.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, old man emu said:

Blue Bet is offering  YES 3:1, NO 1.36:1, indicating they think the result will result in an amendment to the Constitution.

ome, are you sure you haven't got that the wrong way round. If they think the yes vote will win, why would they offer a higher payout on a yes bet. Latest polling nationwide has the yes vote behind.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

The sad reality is that heaps of voters are too lazy to do their homework, so they’re easily led by the cleverly-crafted No campaign.

That's true. The No camp's scare campaign is starting to bite. They've got this moronic slogan 'if you don't know, vote no'. The reality is if you don't know you should be getting off your lazy arse and doing a bit of decent research of your own instead of sitting back and letting a bunch of other people jerk your chain,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, red750 said:

When Albo releases, then we may be able to research properly.

Like the menu that said "Food".

When asked for details, the waiter said, "It's good for you and you'll like it. Can't tell you more."

That old arguement is getting a bit tired.

People who actually read Australia’s Constitution find very little detail about anything and this country is still pottering along okay.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, willedoo said:

ome, are you sure you haven't got that the wrong way round. If they think the yes vote will win, why would they offer a higher payout on a yes bet. Latest polling nationwide has the yes vote behind.

They are saying that they think that the YES result is less likely, therefore they are willing to offer you a bigger return to get you to put your money on the YES result. If the result is NO, the boolies get to keep your money. The Bookies know that in a two horse race they will be paying out, so they try to reduce their liability by offering less for their "favorite" result.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

They are saying that they think that the YES result is less likely, therefore they are willing to offer you a bigger return to get you to put your money on the YES result. If the result is NO, the boolies get to keep your money. The Bookies know that in a two horse race they will be paying out, so they try to reduce their liability by offering less for their "favorite" result.

Ok, you did a typo word omission then which explains it. You wrote 'they think the result will result in an amendment to the constitution' which contradicts your above statement and also the odds you originally quoted. I think you meant ' they think the result will not result in an amendment to the constitution.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Which side is being nasty and lying the most? Then vote against them. I trust Kerry O'Brien.   The NATIONALS came out full against it before anyone knew anything . Dutton has always opposed anything to do with Aboriginal  conditions being improved. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

2 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Most place names are decided by the real estate agent who subdivides it.. Nev

I found that most useful when I was working General Duties. A call would come over the radio dispatching you to an address. You knew that if the street name was, say, the name of a tree, you wouldn't be going to the area of the Patrol where the streets were named after historical figures. For example, in the suburb of Oran Park, which once was a car racing circuit, many of the street names are associated with V8 racing. In the suburb of Raby, the streets are named after famous aircraft.

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Sky News seems to be the only source I can find for this story and it seems to be very short on hard facts. I did find this story though.  Annastacia Palaszczuk says reports Brisbane may be renamed to Indigenous equivalent ‘absolute nonsense’

I would have thought that if this were true it would be picked up by more than one news outlet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, facthunter said:

Which side is being nasty and lying the most? Then vote against them. I trust Kerry O'Brien.   The NATIONALS came out full against it before anyone knew anything . Dutton has always opposed anything to do with Aboriginal  conditions being improved. Nev

Quite right, Nev. Most of the MSM are not reporting much on the misquoting and disingenuity of the No vote, but the ABC has a couple:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-18/craven-furious-at-voice-no-camp-inclusion-in-pamphlet/102616252

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-06/no-voice-newspaper-ad-dubbed-racist/102304488

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-20/voice-to-parliament-misinformation-flyers/102621334

One of the deals to get the referendum passed by the LNP was to send both yes and no brochures to all without fact checking them... Dutton got his way... And seems his camp iks looking to exploit it.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1