Further Effects of "The Voice" debate

old man emu

It's amazing. We are attacking a politician from making good on an election promise. He promised a referendum. He didn't promise what the result would be.

A lot of the voters who put him in power wanted the some action in this area. Wouldn't have Voldemort done exactly the same for something the voters who put him in power?

I still say that suitable Constitutional recognition would have been attained by putting the 1999 Preamble question to the people as a single issue. However, Voldemort would have seized on the reference to God in this multi-religion country.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, Marty_d said:

I think a little too much is being made of Albo's role here.

It's just people being people, overthinking the whole blame thing. In reality, it's very simple. The Aboriginal groups wanted Albo to try to implement the voice, so he agreed to put it to a referendum if he won government, making it an election promise. He did everything he was asked of, end of story.

This was a gift for Dutton. I think they call it wedge politics. Once the referendum was announced, Dutton knew they had Albo wedged between a rock and a hard place. It was either suffer a political defeat or break an election promise made to the Australian public, and in the bargain, break his word with the Aboriginal people and lose their trust. A win/win for Dutton either way. Any early talk from the Libs about how the government should abandon the referendum was just weasel words for the media and the punters. To the Libs and Nats, holding the referendum was the best thing since sliced bread and a great political gift from a wedged Albo.

Albo is not dumb. He would have known all this and calculated which of the two options (go ahead or break his word) would cost him the most political skin. In my opinion he made the right choice and stuck by his word. This will eventually blow over and politics will move on to the next big thing, but if he had broken his word it would follow him around for years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

This one fits the thread title 'Further Effects of "The Voice" debate' perfectly. The Queensland government had plans to initiate the process of treaty with Aboriginal groups in the state and had the bipartisan support of the LNP opposition. In light of the referendum results, the LNP have today announced their withdrawal of that support.

The opposition leader gave the reason that after seeing the national division caused by the referendum debate, he didn't want to see the same thing happen in Queensland in regards to treaties.

• Informative 4

1 hour ago, willedoo said:

put it to a referendum if he won government, making it an election promise. He did everything he was asked of,

Like each and everyone of us, Albo had no control over how the other bloke would vote. History obviously set the betting odds, but Albo probably earned more kudos for fulfilling a promise made before an election. Sure, the cost in dollars to fulfill that promise might be argued about, but Honour does have a price. And you got to admit, Dutton gave Labor the most magnificent electioneering call of all time - "If you don't know, vote NO". Can't wait to see that plastered all over election posters bearing Voldemort's face.

Can J K Rowling sue for breach of copyright if we use Voldemort other than in reference to the Potter series?

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

About houses designed by indigenous, I have a true story. I  was in Alice Springs and there was a contract being let for newly-arrived abos. A group consisting of an architect, an abo elder and ( my mate ) the manager of a building supply company in town. They made the design without any timber or glass as these materials get smashed or burned.

I thought it looked quite good as a concrete-block and galv iron house.

Well the group was told in no uncertain terms that their "racist" design had been thrown out ...  "we will have you know" some bureaucrat from Canberra wrote " that indigenous are citizens and entitled to similar housing as other citizens

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I get that Albo came good on an election promise.. And yes, he *should* be congratulated for it. But, it was his shoddy workmanship in execution that, for me, is the problem. It may have not changed the end result, but at least it could have been a fairer fight. To me it was akin to not training for 10 years and turning up to compete in a marathon.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

39 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

About houses designed by indigenous, I have a true story. I  was in Alice Springs and there was a contract being let for newly-arrived abos. A group consisting of an architect, an abo elder and ( my mate ) the manager of a building supply company in town. They made the design without and timber or glass as these materials get smashed or burned.

I thought it looked quite good as a concrete-block and galv iron house.

Well the group was told in no uncertain terms that their "racist" design had been thrown out ...  "we will have you know" some bureaucrat from Canberra wrote " that indigenous are citizens and entitled to similar housing as other citizens

OK.. they could have put tiles on it rather than galvanised iron, but plenty of people are paying big $ to live in conrete blocks these days... https://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-melbourne-134992766

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I reckon Albo will survive ok....  I voted "no" but really want to support albo in most other ways.

I think electorally, the hit won't be much at all... In fact, if I were Dutton, I would be concerned as most of the electorates that voted yes are safe seats for the Libs or went independent at the last election. So if he is still the leader of the opposition, the independents will likely retain and he may find one or two more seats coming under pressure.

His cred has no doubt been damaged internal to the ALP, so he now has some lost ground to make up. They won't come after him just yet, but it won't take as much as it would have prior to the referendum to move him - unless he atones well.

57 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

B T

He has lost my support. 

Trying to have dual citizens is Not Australian. 

spacesailor

I think he was trying to establish an institution to break the divide of two citizens and bring them up to the same as the rest of the country, not create two sets of citizens..

(BTW, I am a dual citizen, but hard to ague against me being an Aussie... )

Swollen pickles, who has in this thread before, I think has a good synopsis of the No victory.

• Informative 1