Further Effects of "The Voice" debate

old man emu

Albo's fault is it for doing what HE promised? ALLOW A Referendum. The right of the people to freely vote on something and it's now confected as some kind of conspiratorial crime  aiming to split the country. GET REAL. Abbot's just landed a 1/2 Million $ job with Merde och. Newscorpse  which went flat out to sink the referendum. May they sink together. A view of how the system works for the Propagandists and manipulators who control YOU. (iF you let  them).  Nev

2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

I have only received 2 flyers in the letterbox, and they're both from the No side. All these claims that the Yes side has more money and more advertising are, in my sample of 1 suburb at least, unproven. 

I'm heading out today to vote YES, but in the sad knowledge (If the polls are right) that it won't get up, and the true voices of division - the No camp - will most likely have their way. 

And if that's the case I can no longer laugh at Americans for electing Trump, as our people are no wiser. 

What. Voting no is in no way comparable to Trump being elected.

Tik Tok said voting yes would result in me losing my land. . Trump is a far bigger disaster than this little (BY COMPARISON) event. My money is on Dutton calling for Albanese to resign because the referendum has failed. Just imagine the nit picking and hullaballoo if  the PM had decided to legislate it instead? First thing he would have been accused of is breaking an election Promise.  Nev

A man and his primary school child were standing in front of me as I went to vote this morning. The little boy was holding the pencil given to write one's choice. I heard him say, "We're going to vote. I know what to vote - NO", and as he did so, he wrote NO in the air.  I wondered how he was going to get on at school next week when he shared the classroom with Aboriginal kids, and how he would go in ten or fifteen years when he was working with them.

By 6:00 pm on 14 October, it will be all over, bar the shouting. I am going to be very interested in the returns from individual booths. 

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, spacesailor said:

WHY 

The ' divide ' , are Not All Australian school kids " Australian " .

That's Why I voted NO ,

I don't fancy living in a segregated Australia. 

THEM & US .

spacesailor

It is already that way for most and by voting no you are helping to preserve it

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

Indeed... It is interesting to see what unfolds... 

While I am not sure this has damaged Albo electorally that much, I am sure his position in the ALP is damaged, to the point his leadership may be being called into question. 

I am listening to Lydia Thorpe on the ABC at the moment and I think she is spot on - if you don't bring the grass roots of black and white fellas with you, then you won't get their support... 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

BUT

The Damage to Our overseas reputation has suffered. & the ten% will be unhappy with this result .   Luckily We Are One and are many .

spacesailor

I was in the pub  last night with the other antipodean in our Village, a NZ'er.. He expressed disbelief at the way Aus was vexed over the Voice... Hs remarks were along the lines of bombed out of the Rugby World Cup, looking the same for cricket and a big score for going backwards....

(I then relayed to him Octave's son's story.. )

Also, I think you will find it more than 10% unhappy... unless you think that 90% of those that voted yes couldn't care?

4 minutes ago, onetrack said:

It's nothing less than I expected. The simple fact the Indigenes themselves were split on the referendum doomed the proposition to fail. There was inadequate consultation from the word go.

Same.. It was definitely wishful thinking to think it would go any other way. However, while there were differences in ATSI views, the reasons were by an large not the same, with most of those saying no wanting changes to go further.. it wasn't based on the official No campaign. And, if ABC and The Age are to have a smidgeon of truth about them, in the rural/outback areas, ATSI people "against" it were more apathetic to it.. I would also question if the No supporters in ATSIs were any near a large minority, let alone a minority. But of course, as a small minority of the population as a whole, their votes were never going to really impact the result given the negativity around it.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I really doubt Albanese's  position as leader  is likely to be challenged from within the Party, Jerry. Your comment on it is the first I've heard mention of it. That line  that his tenure is connected to the result,has constantly been run by SKY  and Dutton but even Chris Kenny reckon's its BS.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, spacesailor said:

When the wife. & I , rolled into the voting place , there wasno sign of the ' NO ' people or even one placard. 

On the other hand the ' YES ' people & their signs Were everywhere in abundance. 

spacesailor

I suspect that is rare. My wife spent time at a couple of booths handing out vote yes cards and there were certainly as many no volunteers.  I am guessing in your polling booth there were not enough committed no voters to hand out how to vote cards. 

It is interesting that in Sydney, many Liberal seats voted YES, and the Labor seats voted NO. 

It is unfortunate that we will never know why each person who voted NO voted the way they did.  There are more reasons than have been indicated in our discussion here.

I'm afraid that the result has made me feel that Australians are indeed racist, or more probably 100% self-centred. It there was nothing in it for Whitey, then bugger the Abo.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

13 hours ago, Columbo said:

What. Voting no is in no way comparable to Trump being elected.

My point is that lies and misinformation were peddled far and wide in social media  by some No activists, and were believed by the credulous or apathetic. 

In that aspect it is indeed Trumpian. 

14 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

My point is that lies and misinformation were peddled far and wide in social media  by some No activists, and were believed by the credulous or apathetic. 

In that aspect it is indeed Trumpian. 

I mean Trump didn't invent lying in politics though. He just didn't care that he lied.