Who is it?

red750

Whitlam was a curious mix of character, very flawed IMO. Brought up as a god-fearing Christian, he turned his back on religion, and became an avowed and dedicated supporter of Communism.

He garnered no political support amongst business people and farmers once in the PM's seat.

In fact, I still recall the number of farmers who voted for him in 1972, being appalled at their treatment, as he rescinded farm input tax deductions galore, and treated business people and farmers as the rich to be robbed.

He was obsessed with power, and his anger never left him, with his constant complaints about "maintaining the rage", with regard to his sacking.

But he conveniently ignored the fact that he ransacked the Australian economy, gave us over 17% inflation (a bitterness that still rankles with older people), trebled the nations budget with profligate spending (from $6B to $20B), employed some of the biggest crooks and scumbags as Ministers and advisers - and then resorted to underhand and illegal financing deals to try and continue in his profligate ways, before he was unceremoniously sacked - by one of his own appointees!

Lionel Murphy should have been in jail, not presiding as a revered judge! He was as crooked as a dogs hind leg - and Whitlam supported him through thick and thin.

And Whitlam also bragged to Mark Latham about how it was their right to "rort the system" for what ever they could get - and Whitlam pulled in $3M a year in "entitlements", as a former PM for nearly 40 years after his sacking, until the day he died.

I don't regard Whitlam as particularly outstanding as a PM, although he did carry out a number of reforms such as universal healthcare and he promoted consumers rights.

But his overwhelming, consuming greed for power, and his anger when it was taken from him, says more about his character flaws than anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitlam_government

• Agree 2

Maybe all true, OT, but the current mob are worse; they have perfected the art of rorting the system for their mates, but have most of the media to gloss over their appalling incompetence and corruption.

If Whitlam’s government hadn’t been toppled, Australia would have regained control of our mineral resources (as did Norway).

By now we, like Norway would have a trillion dollars in surplus. Instead, after decades of LNP selling off the farm to balance the books, we are a trillion dollars in debt.

The biggest lie we’ve been told is that LNP government are better economic managers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

OK.. pot calling kettle black, but there are plenty of other threads talking abouit the above.. so back to the subject 😉

Here is one of the quintessential Englishmen.. Should be pretty easy.. but in his memory..

[Edit] I think he must have grew up in Melbourne - he is wearing my old school tie (or one of them).

pb.jpg

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

In the north of England, all films were years old, but new to us.

The beast with five fingers ,was the very first movie we kids snuck into, I ended up with nightmares afterwards. 

That should have taught me, but l went back for more. LoL

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
More added
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought Whitlam was a great pm at the time, but now I don't forgive him for encouraging lebanese immigrants to Australia in grossly excessive numbers.

Apparently there are suburbs in western sydney with thousands of 3rd generation unemployed lebanese, who are taught at the govt funded religious schools they go to that girls who don't dress and act like good moslem girls are just asking for sex from a gang.

The earliest Lebanese settlers here Maronite Christians, and they came here in the late 1800's and earlier decades of the 1900's. These people were generally good law-abiding people.

But during the Lebanese Civil War that started in 1975, the Syrian Army collared all the criminal Muslims and ripped up their criminal records - then advised them to apply for refugee status in Australia.

They had all learned about a deal for Australian immigration called the "Lebanon Concession". It was a Malcolm Fraser initiative - and when these Lebanese crims turned up in sizeable numbers claiming to be refugees from the Lebanese War, and their criminal histories could not be checked, the Immigration Dept refused to admit them.

But Fraser over-ruled the Immigration Dept and told the Dept to let them in without background checks - something that had never been done before in Australia's immigration history. As a result, we imported thousands of Lebanese Muslim criminals, and they settled into the S.W. Sydney suburbs, and promptly indulged in the same levels of criminality as they did back in Lebanon - car theft and rebirthing, drug dealing, money laundering, insurance scams, you name it, they were into it.

Fraser later denied ever letting this bunch of troublemakers into Australia - who caused so much trouble, N.S.W. Police had to start up a Middle-Eastern Organised Crime Squad - which I think at one stage, had a strength of about 250 officers.

These criminal Lebanese Muslims should never have gained entry to Australia, and their activities today still revolve around gang crime, gang murders and Islamic extremism.

https://thesydneyinstitute.com.au/blog/1970s-lebanese-commission-led-to-an-immigration-debacle/

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...