Bloody useless trendy things in houses

old man emu

Feel a bit sorry for that mining bloke, having a need to  tell you  what the pool cost. If you want a car to be noticed in I have one a 1998 Fairmont AU..With paint peeling off. never garaged.  Everywhere I go people come out of the blue to tell me what great cars they are . Even the bloke who just put two new tyres on it.. Who needs a Merc or an Audi ?  Nev

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Must be one of the only people who don't drink coffee, love the smell of roasting coffee, but the taste is awful.

Rarely get visitors, could count them in one hand in the more than 20 years been here. When they do come, offer them water or a herbal tea, have to go into the garden and pick some. Fresh herbal tea is an excellent pick me up, but rarely have any, only drink water 99% of the time.

The other 10% would be a Guinness or local black beer and that only happens when I catch up with my long term muso mates for a party once a year, sadly it's been a couple of years since the last one and think I've recovered and ready for the next one.

• Like 1

I chuckle when I see old codgers like me riding along on something like this: image.jpeg.6adaa428ba782308eca08e4ced88ae9b.jpegin their all black leathers with souvenir patches all over them. What do most people think? - "Oh. There's some old bloke with more money than sense trying to be what he couldn't be when he was a teenager. Just ignore him."

But when I go riding past on this: 1199790002_Finished-RHS.thumb.JPG.62ea0de2043aeedadda31e96acf588b5.JPGpeople look and wave, and if I've parked somewhere they come up for a better look and to ask questions. And the best thing is that my bike has doubled in value in the nine years I've owned it. Those others have dropped in value by that much.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

My wife and I love Jeff Dunham and his Friends. We went to see him live a few years ago in Sydney, and after the show went to the merchandising stand and bought three of is character dolls - Walter, Peanut and Achmed, the Dead Terrorist. As you know, my wife has been confined to a hospital bed for a couple of months without family visitors until the other week when I was allowed to enter the hospital to see her. I took Walter with me, and she cried and cried.

Guess she realised who she should really have married.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Remember the Mandala's  that nearly everyone hung on their front wall? Made from left overs from sheet metal stampings I've never followed thing s like that or had ceramic Ducks on the wall. I did paint the bathroom wall for my first Mother in Law with  an original Underwater scene. THAT took a while. Oh I used to cover the dunny door with wine labels. Is that trendy?  I've never even owned a Holden.  Nev

• Sad 1

I'm equal opportunity - I've had both Ford (XE ex-police car ex-taxi) and Holden (VP sedan).

Three of the door handles on the XE didn't work and you could remove the stick selector while driving.  Oh and something under the dash caught fire once.

The Commodore was better build quality but didn't seem to go as hard as the XE.  (Or maybe I was just a bit older when I had it!)

I don't think ceramic ducks are trendy any more Nev.  About 50 years ago they might have been.  Your wine label dunny door sounds good though.

• Like 1

I've owned 52 Holden utes over 56 yrs of driving, and only 2 Fords - both of which I bought new - and both of them, I was seriously disappointed with them.

The first Ford was a new F100 4WD ute in 1977, fitted with the 302 Windsor V8. Thirsty as buggery, and I couldn't keep the thing on the road. It had no power steering, and no power steering option.

It was fitted with 10.00 x 15 crossply tyres that tramlined you from one side of the road to the other. I had to spend over $1000 (in 1970's money) to fit it with a fabricated power steering setup.

That improved it a bit, and a conversion to Goodyear radials, also helped. But the cost of F100 parts was absolutely astronomical - and they're still the same today. Like, $600 just for the grille, in 1980!

I did keep it until 1992, but didn't use it a great deal all through the 1980's. I used Holden utes instead. Then I bought a new EA Falcon Ghia wagon in 1990, it cost me $40,000!

It started to fall apart within 6 mths (the drivers window stopped going up for a start - that was a stripped plastic gear in the mechanism). Then the climate control microprocessor failed at 20,000kms and Ford grudgingly agreed to replace it under warranty. But the Ford dealer service manager advised that if I'd had to buy the microprocessor, it would've cost me a cool $945!!

At 70,000 kms and 2 years old, I got rid of it. Every dealer only offered me $16,500 for it! And it was in excellent condition, too! I was disgusted with the dreadful resale value, which all luxury Fords possessed back then. I never traded it, I sold it privately about after about 6 weeks advertising, for $18,000.

I bought a new Turbo diesel automatic Landcruiser when I sold the Falcon - and that machine was magic. I paid $50,000 for it, and did a totally troublefree 170,000kms with it in 3 years - and I sold it privately for $40,000, after the ad had only been up for one day!

I have owned Toyotas ever since 1992, and they have always provided faultless, troublefree service, and excellent resale values. I have never owned any flying wall ducks, but I've owned 2 Fords, and they were essentially dogs.

• Like 2

I only said you can set the suspension up really well and I'll stick by that. Yeah the door handles were crook depending on how You pull on them but are easily fixed and improved. Adjusting and Lubricating the door lock helps. Back then HOW GOOD your dealer was, was critical. I could tell you horror stories about ALL brands including Toyota I wouldn't like to  have any of this modern stuff past warrantee because many repairs cost over ten thousand potentially. Warrantee back there was 12 months. Just time to sort out any poor assembly things..  Modern  assembly seems to be pretty consistent. Far better  than it used to be. With these "fixed " service charges some dealers cut corners to not lose money on them  so beware.. Nev

14 hours ago, onetrack said:

I have owned Toyotas ever since 1992, and they have always provided faultless, troublefree service, and excellent resale values.

Have owned cruisers exclusively since 1997 when got my current 91 1hdt and it had 145000klm on the clock. It went 764000 before rebuilding the engine early this year, adding a 3 inch straight through, inter cooler and beefed up turbo. Could have brought a new one but this old thing does everything I need and has a range of well over 2000klms.

It runs on veggie oil and saved me tens of thousands in fuel costs, I got a shock the other week, when my oil processing centrifuge system decided it had enough after 15 years of operation and the winch to lift the oil drums decided to come to a halt. Took me over a week to pull it all apart, then discovered the winch was chocked up with oil and possum poo. Which meant had to buy some fuel for a trip, which came to close to $100. The shock of that purchase hurried me up, was a relief to be able to drive to Hobart and back last week and it cost me the price of 1.5lt of diesel. Just need to win lotto so buy an Ev and save even more money.

• Like 2

The amount of $$ people spend on vehicles just astounds me! 
Ive never purchased a new car in my life, never insured them either, I must have saved a fortune over the years!  My current ride on gas  (Ford) I’ve had 14 years working out about $700 a year (plus the usual basic servicing which I do myself) is what it has cost me, washed it probably a dozen times in all that time....cheap motoring👍

Edited by Fliteright
  • Sad 1