Bloody useless trendy things in houses

old man emu

I as doing the housework this morning and as I was cleaning the big bath in the corner of the bathroom, the thought struck me that this type of bath is a bloody useless trendy thing from the 90's when the house was built.

For a start, the bath is in a corner, so you can't easily reach the part of the tub in the corner to clean it. You have to get into the bath to be able to reach. No such problem with a standard bath. Next, depending on how the bath is set into the floor, you either have to step up and over the edge, or over and down to get in. Either way, getting in and out can be difficult if you are losing your youthful flexibility. Then there's the capacity. I reckon that these baths need more water in them to be deep enough for a wash than do standard baths. Finally, how to you put a rectangular bath tray across a triangular bath?

And then there's the ultra-trendy bath with a spa system. All the bad features of the corner bath, but with the added problem of the spa pump. 

• Like 1

Threw my bath out when decided to renovate the bathroom last year, haven't used one since was a little kid, the lady will be surprised when she sees the new bathroom and no bath, but they waste to much water. Much better to put in lap pool, at least it's useful.

I can't even remember having a bath as a kid - always showers. But since I had moved to ol' Blighty, my partner, who loves baths, changed my mind, esp when we had our small holding. After a day in the fields (paddocks) on freezing days, even though I would work up a sweat, it was nice to jump into a steaming hot corner bath and enjoy the warmth while reading a flying magazine. Of course, lack of water isn't such an issue here as it is in Aus, and I have yet to live in a house where it is metered - I pay the same whether I user a litre or a million litres and although the water companies try to get me to install a meter claiming it will be cheaper, most people I know who are on meters pay more than me.

• Informative 1

I've built/renovated a few homes over the years, new ones I always put in at least 2 bathtubs, most with built in Spa's, upon sale/s the Estate agents said the tubs where a huge asset! One house I built & designed myself had 5 toilets, seems you can never have enuf toilets & therefore toilet paper & I was right as take a look at all the Covid idiots buying up dunny paper these days😁

Edited by Fliteright
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

And !.

Bath,s can have their ' grey ' water recycled to the garden, something l never see in a shower installation.

Straight down the girgler into the ' black ' water drain.

My new kitchen installer wanted to put in a ' dishwasher ', but when l suggested a second outlet to the garden he was speechless. I use a bucket now, as they refused to put a second outlet on the dual bowl sink, don,t woory l,m not the only person in my street doing this. I copied a neibour.

But it was my idea, use those big wheelie bins to catch rain water, for the garden..

spacesailor

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I have to admit, this morning, with only two showers in the house in a home of 4, there were not enough showers!

We only have 4 toilets - I feel impoverished in our society!

We have 1 toilet for a family of 5 - I dream of the day we get another!

• Informative 1

23 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

We have 1 toilet for a family of 5 - I dream of the day we get another!

You lucky bugger! Lots of kids and indoor plumbing- better off than most of the world.

I very rich bloke once visited my house to get some ideas for his new home. His architect had designed a vast mansion with lots of bathrooms and his kids’ bedrooms far away from their parents.
I asked if he actually wanted to be part of their lives.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

You lucky bugger! Lots of kids and indoor plumbing- better off than most of the world.

I very rich bloke once visited my house to get some ideas for his new home. His architect had designed a vast mansion with lots of bathrooms and his kids’ bedrooms far away from their parents.
I asked if he actually wanted to be part of their lives.

Oh, I know we're lucky.

Just that sometimes when you have one child bashing on the dunny door screaming that they need to poo, another one inside yelling that they haven't finished, and the third attacking the second and saying they dibbed the toilet next, another toilet seems very desirable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Bath,s can have their ' grey ' water recycled to the garden, something l never see in a shower installation.

Straight down the girgler into the ' black ' water drain.

All my water including septic goes into the garden, grey water goes through a set of pits and into an old tank, then when the sun shines it's sprayed into the gardens and the septic is bucketed onto gardens, which provides excellent fertiliser.

• Like 1

Marriages are very costly exercises. Particularly so when they end.

In my case, the expense was worth it to allow me to make the change to a safe, unstressful pleasant life. I started again from nothing but at least I was alive.

Unfortunately one doesn't really know what sort of person one makes their commitment to, until they have lived together for quite some time. Some luckily find their partner to really be as nice as the honeymoon phase had promised. Some are not so lucky.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Unfortunately one doesn't really know what sort of person one makes their commitment to, until they have lived together for quite some time. Some luckily find their partner to really be as nice as the honeymoon phase had promised. Some are not so lucky.

I got lucky, but know too many who didn’t. There must be a better way. Some arranged marriages work surprisingly well.

Two of my sisters have stable, long-term partnerships without ever getting married. Interestingly, their kids insisted on having weddings.