Old Man Emu has left

old man emu

Those of you who might follow things on the sister site might know that two people have been attacking me there over a number of topics. Apart from quips I might post off the top of my head, I put a lot of time and effort into what I consider to be "serious" posts. It can take me a long time to check what I think is correct before I put it in writing. I've learned that it is essential to define and clarify things in the simplest way.

However two people have taken upon themselves to "shoot from the hip" in criticising what I post in good faith, or how I include illustrations. Their constant attacks have reignited my Depression, which after 15 years I thought I had beaten. Therefore, for my own health I am going to stop participating in both these site. I'm deleting the links from my bookmarks bar to remove the temptation to visit the sites.

So I say, "Good bye," to those friends I have made here in the years I have been a member. I've enjoyed your company. Red, keep up the good work with what you do. I hope that your family health concerns resolve themselves. Jerry, I hope that a situation arises that allows you to return to Australia. I wish we knew about Phil. Skippy, I might see you around the district. Spacey, maybe one day the Hummelbird might fly. Willedoo and the rest, keep the faith.

Farewell, my friends.

Thank you for all your contributions, OME. You have always offered interesting, thought provoking and valuable posts. Perhaps one day you will pop back in to say "Hi". I do hope so. You will find a goodly number here who are missing you.

And if any of my posts have caused you any concern, I sincerely apologise. No harm was intended. Sometimes the sparring might have had unintended consequences.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Mark, it's a real shame that's happened, I enjoy your posts.  Like others I hope you come back one day, the place will be the poorer for your absence.

Thanks for sending me the Blue Bible, well done on your handyman projects like the Mando helmet, and drop me an email if you ever want to chat.

Cheers, Marty

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

^^^^^^^^

+1...

OME, your presence on this site will be definitely missed. I have enjoyed your thoughtful contribution to all types of subject matter as well as a quck and pertinent wit It is a real shame that you've had a recurrence but hoping you can some through it quickly and that your absence is temporary...

Best wishes, and stay in touch..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

OME had returned shortly afterwards, which was very welcome as far as I am concerned. But he has since disappeared from here and last time I looked, rec flying. Has anyone got news or keep in touch with him? Would be nice to know how he is going?

• Agree 1

I have no idea how he's going Jerry, he has vanished. I think he had a number of mental health, and intense personality problems, and was extremely sensitive to any criticism.

His main problem was trying to set himself up as an aviation subjects teacher on here, and thereby attracting robust arguments against many of his ideas, which sent him into depression.

It's not a place to do that, the people who come here mostly already have very substantial aviation knowledge, and they didn't need OME's style of forum education. 

It's a bit sad really, I like OME, and he's very intelligent and very technically and scientifically minded - but at the end of the day, most people come here to shoot the breeze, and keep the discussions fairly light and entertaining.

I do have his email address contact if you want it.

• Like 2

Thanks OT..

Very sad, indeed.. always willing to help where he could.. And I understand that he is also a full time carer for his wife, which takes a lot out of anyone (my mother was a full time carer for step father... utterly exhausting mentally and physcially).

Can you please PM/DM me his address - would like to just say "Hi" so he knows we haven't forgotten him.

Thanks...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, onetrack said:

…attracting robust arguments against many of his ideas, which sent him into depression.

It's not a place to do that…

OT can I please add to your post?

Many of us find Ian’s two forums a welcome outlet and break from the isolation we suffer (due to distance, social situation, or the pandemic). Life has not always been kind, so some of us can be excused for being a tad sensitive at times.

Robust and potentially damaging attacks are the last thing we want to see here.
I’m aware of several members whose time on these forums was brief, perhaps because they felt their contributions were not welcome or their ideas shared. I hope that when I’ve challenged others, it has not done too much damage.

• Like 4

I miss him already.

My education was sheet !.

I have learn a lot from this forum.

AND many thanks go to a few top contributers.

I learn about VH flying from All those who have progressed from the the RAA type. to the full Comercial jumbo Captain.

I think when you have got a Captain epaulets, you lose ' play time ', for most that is.

OME

HAPPY RETIREMENT. 

spacesailor

• Like 3

13 hours ago, spacesailor said:

A thought !.

How big a job, to fully recover the Jodel, If the price was right ?.

spacesailor

How long is a piece of string? As long as you’re enjoying the journey, it’s worth it.

Just recovering the wings isn’t a major job (I’ve done it twice, learning heaps along the way. At most it should take maybe a month or two. Obtaining the materials and learning the technique is a project that would keep you off the street and out of trouble… The good news is that newer materials and paint is mobs easier to use than the older stuff.

You will need a largish workshop because Jodel wings are one-piece. My D9 wing is 7m long.

I bought my Jodel project because the basic design is excellent, with plenty of potential for modification (if you like that sort of thing). While the wings are naked, it’s a good time to carefully inspect the workmanship of the spar, ribs, etc. Checking the security of the pulley assemblies for the ailerons is also a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1