Scotty from Marketing

willedoo

I wouldn't be too worried about volcanoes in the big scheme of things but there are some places where I would not wish to live because of them.. The SUN will eventually expand  and include us in it's mass. We are only about 1/2 way to that happening. We will stuff it up one way or another well before then. The sun is so large if you chucked the earth into it you would be flat out to see it entering it..( Hypothetically from somewhere safe about as far way as we are now.) OUR sun is a medium sized sun and we are lucky as "they" last longer..  It's  a 'Goldi locks sun and a goldilocks earth.  Nev

What if it's foolish theory that's already been debunked in a past age, like a steam car for instance ? You can prove without ever making even ONE that it won't be efficient. No point in reinventing  the WHEEL. or reviving past catastrophic concepts either If they FAILED for a good reason.   Nev

I would have thought that the theory that volcanoes produced more CO than Mankind in relation to the Global Warming discussion was relatively recent and also accurate measurements by qualified persons had shown that theory to be incorrect. 

Pretty well established that volcanoes contribute far less CO2 than industry.   

https://deepcarbon.net/scientists-quantify-global-volcanic-co2-venting-estimate-total-carbon-earth

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/06/06/how-much-co2-does-a-single-volcano-emit/#61ee2c4c5cbf

https://www.zmescience.com/science/news-science/volcano-co2-humans-emissions-16102017/

[ATTACH]50599._xfImport[/ATTACH]

CO2_vs_Volcano.thumb.gif.2093d4e5cfd28bbd44c028ec3fa133dd.gif

Pretty well established that volcanoes contribute far less CO2 than industry. 

Now I concur. Your research has shown my theory to be incorrect.

Next questions: Where are temperatures being taken that show an increase in atmospheric temperature? 

Compared to the Northern Hemishpere, there is precious little indistrial activity in the Southern Hemisphere for we Southerners to share equal blame with the Northerners. 

I think it is unfair to quote "per capita" production of CO2 as a comparison when we should be looking at the gross production of each country. 

Gadzooks! For a moment I thought you were agreeing with the bloke from Advertising.

I was watching a video on Youtube a day or so ago, and the presenter went through all the different ways we produce electricity - fossil fuels, renewables and nuclear. Part of his presentation was presenting the numbers of  death directly attributable the various means of generation. Nuclear was the lowest. He also spoke of the third party deaths (usually pollution related). Again, nuclear was the lowest. He discussed the relative efficiencies and changes that needed to be made to the local environment of the various methods. 

Finally he spoke of the use of Thorium as a fuel. A lot of research was carried out in the USA which showed thorium was better than uranium. While thorium has been shown to be an efficient heat source, it has one major drawback - you can't make make atomic bombs from its residue. Naturally, the World's Peacekeeper killed off thorium powered electricity generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power

There have never been any fatalities from dam failure in Australia that I'm aware of.

In fact, dam failure events in Australia are very rare and confined to smaller dams that were built many decades ago and which have not had adequate engineering design input.

We have virtually no dam failure problems (or potential problems) in Australia because we have:

1.  Good engineering standards for dam construction

2. Mostly earthen-bank construction dams that are more robust than pure concrete dams

3. A lack of severe earthquakes, or potential for major landslips into dam reservoirs

Most people imagine a dam burst as an explosive burst of a dam wall, as shown in the movies.

In practice, this type of event is extremely rare (except when your dam is bombed, a la 617 Sqdn.)

The largest percentage of dam failures are caused by exceptionally high and prolonged rainfall events causing severe overtopping of the dam wall, or spillway failure due to the spillways inadequate size, to be able to cope with massive downpours that are outside the calculated rainfall events (generally a "1 in 100 year" flood).

Even at that, dam failures usually give adequate warning of impending failure and time to evacuate people in danger.

However, there have been some spectacular dam failures in places such as America, often as a result of poor engineering coupled with a high rainfall event.

The most spectacular American dam failure was the Teton Dam, in 1976. It collapsed in broad daylight over a period of hours, as it was being filled for the first time.

The failure was due entirely to an appalling choice of unsuitable construction material, and positioning of the dam over porous ground.

11 people still died in the Teton Dam failure, despite warnings to evacuate - but the dam collapsed faster than evacuation could be carried out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teton_Dam