Scotty from Marketing

willedoo

Another point, only theoretical, is that if Whitlam had won the election three years earlier, he quite likely would have withdrawn the Australian Task Force then. Most government's making that decision would have come under a lot of pressure from the U.S. to stay or go to a long drawn out phased withdrawal, but I think Gough was a person with the courage to just do it regardless. He had a lot of critics, but nobody could ever accuse him of being timid.

Gough didn't have the usual Depression affected upbringing that most of his contemporaries had, because his father was the Assistant Crown Solicitor. However he did his bit in WW2 as a navigator/bomb aimer in No 13 Sqn.  His father was a federal public servant who later served as Commonwealth Crown Solicitor, and Whitlam senior's involvement in human rights issues was a powerful influence on his son. 

It is likely that he would have had a good stint as PM if international factors such as the 1973 oil crisis and subsequent 1973 - 1975 recession hadn't provided ammunition to the Conservatives to scare the populous off Labor's reform agenda. Clearly, Labor didn't cause the oil crisis, and once again a  world financial recession was caused by the USA. Among the causes were the 1973 oil crisis and the fall of the Bretton Woods system after the Nixon Shock. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_shock. It's marvelous how the Conservatives seem to drop the ball when crises loom on the horizon.

Whitlam was considered a enemy of the state as far as the CIA was concerned. And a communist  cum pinko Lefty.

Which just meant he did not agree with all the way with LBJ.

The yanks had a very big background influence on our elections and really pushed with the right wing news (Murdoch) to keep him from power. Anything was considered far game.

So did ASIO, who actively tried to harm the labor party and anyone who was critical of the lib government.

Even today they are very much part of the right wing might.

Lots of us got special attention from them and special branch.

To have a ASIO file was a badge of honour, it means they were worried.

If you don't believe it- just look at press freedom today and how whistleblowers are treated.

Meanwhile back in the bubble...................

Sco mutt has decided to "rescue" Aussies in China and send then to Christmas island as quarantine.

But also insist that those "rescued" have to pay $1000 for the air fare.

Next he will charge to see a politician.............................

Oh, thats right he already does.  

Sco mo doesn't want to repatriate the Aussies from Wuhan, but the do gooders are making so much noise that he has to do something. Again it is the usual government way of saying we will do this. But you will have to comply with many rules and regulations, which reduces the number wanting to get out. If you were in Wuhan and got out on a plane to Christmas Island, you look forward to 14 days of boredom, in which time if anyone who travelled with you gets ill, you are in for more isolation. I don't think I would want tnat., Much better to stay in isolation in Wuhan.

Just remember that the last time our government did anything to help Aussies overseas is lost to normal memory, plus there have been cases where they actively refuse to help, such as Julian Assange.

I reckon to be helped by our foreign affairs minister I would have to have a record of funding the Liberal party to the tune of millions.

Clive would agree with that.  He spent about 60 million  making sure Labor failed because HE knew they wouldn't HELP him get his stranded assets to the coast. No he didn't want a seat in Parliament. He's too busy. Paulene traded preferences. God works in mysterious ways  If you believe in Miracles .   Nev

• 2 weeks later...
Meanwhile back in the bubble...................

Sco mutt has decided to "rescue" Aussies in China and send then to Christmas island as quarantine.

But also insist that those "rescued" have to pay $1000 for the air fare...

What's wrong with asking those rescued to pay their way?  

If I was brought home from an overseas holiday I'd expect to meet the full cost.

The $1000 just made the govt look stingy and only cares about money not citizens. Which appears true. 

It created a lot of stress for the evacuees and made us look churlish. So much the advice was changed to cover their ass. 

The rest of the world acted quickly is NZ and we argued and squandered days before getting a  plane in the air. Just like the fire response.

If they absolutely had too they could have billed later.

As per usual grab defeat from a potential victory.

Corruption. Another example of the National Party favouring the Coal industry over its traditional rural constituency: The LNP government ignores a promising commercial renewable development in north Qld but want the taxpayer to subsidise a coal burner!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-11/north-queensland-renewable-energy-ignored-by-federal-government/11951042

It was good to see the Collinsville power station on TV, as I built the chimneys there in the sixties.

We now have the LNP in government, which is a coalition of the Liberals and the Nationals. Except for one who was a National, but defected and now says he is a Liberal National.

All good they made him deputy speaker. I wouldn't believe anything he spoke if his reasoning is as it appears to me.

The $1000 just made the govt look stingy and only cares about money not citizens. Which appears true. 

It created a lot of stress for the evacuees and made us look churlish. So much the advice was changed to cover their ass. 

The rest of the world acted quickly is NZ and we argued and squandered days before getting a  plane in the air. Just like the fire response.

If they absolutely had too they could have billed later.

As per usual grab defeat from a potential victory.

I think the evacuation from Wuhan was quite a complex issue.

Many of the evacuees were not expats in the traditional sense, but dual nationals (Chinese holding Australian passports). Their normal place of work and residence was actually China, but they took the opportunity to leave Wuhan under the evacuation deal to escape the lockdown enforced there. Which is fine, they're still our fellow citizens.  

But many are also citizens of China, and DFAT must have pushed hard and expended political capital to relax the restrictions on their movement to get them out.

Usually dual nationals  when resident in a country of one their nationalities are unambiguously subject to that countries laws and regulations.   For example, if Im an Aussie dual national from Nunavut, and Im living over there and get forcibly drafted into the military, or jailed for being homosexual (neither of which is likely to happen in Nunavut!)  then DFAT are not going to challenge  this given my local citizenship and being subject to local regulations, even if  these local laws and regulations are inconsistent with those in Australia.  But in this instance Australia has pushed hard to get dual nationals out from Wuhan in defiance of the local travel ban. 

Alan     

It was good to see the Collinsville power station on TV, as I built the chimneys there in the sixties.

We now have the LNP in government, which is a coalition of the Liberals and the Nationals. Except for one who was a National, but defected and now says he is a Liberal National.

All good they made him deputy speaker. I wouldn't believe anything he spoke if his reasoning is as it appears to me.

Yenn, sorry to be pedantic, but:

The new deputy speaker has been a Liberal National (member of the LNP) since the party was formed in 2008. The LNP is not a coalition of the Liberals and the Nationals; it's a Queensland party formed by the merger of the Queensland Nationals and Liberals into one party. It's a Division of the Liberal Party of Australia and an affiliate of the National Party of Australia  The LNP is not in government anywhere and doesn't exist Federally. Federal Queensland LNP members, when in Canberra, sit with the party that historically held their seat in Queensland before the amalgamation. So some Queensland LNP members sit with the Liberals in Canberra, and some with the Nationals, depending on the history of their seat in Queensland.

The Federal Government is a coalition of two parties, whereas the LNP is a single stand-alone party. So all the Deputy Speaker has done is to stop sitting with the Nationals. He hasn't quit the LNP and will still support the Government. So I guess he now sits alone in the corner, or on the cross bench.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a question. How would you rate Scotty FM's handling of the Covid-19 situation so far, if you were able to put aside all political bias and just look at his performance objectively. I don't like the man or the party he represents, but I've tried to put that aside and rate his performance as PM, no matter if he's Scomo or Albo.

The way I see it, no matter which party is in power or which leader we have, mistakes will be made. Overall, he's done better than I thought he would (how's that for a wishy washy, non-committal answer). He seems to be listening to the experts unlike some others around the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not bad.

He hasn't made many disastrous calls, there will be complaints from every side as pretty much everyone will lose out from the economic fallout, but overall you just have to look at our infection & death rates compared to many other countries.

At least he's been out there front and centre with Murphy every day urging us to do the right thing.

And he's been prepared to do what's necessary financially (Jobkeeper, Jobseeker etc) even though it's directly against his ethos.

So yes, a thumbs up - so far - from me.

I think he has done as well as anyone else would and done it without any great political fuss.

We do not know if any alternative action would have been more successful but Trump is trying to find out. If Trump is successful and the USA survives without further deaths, we will be able to say that Scotty was wrong, but I am not going down that path.

Much as I dislike him, he has done as well as he could for us.

I think he must have gotten a major wake up call with the bushfire crisis where his behaviour was roundly criticised. He must have learned lessons from that crisis and was lucky enough to be able to apply them almost as soon as he had learned them. This time he's taken a step to the side and thrown the ball to those with the knowledge to do things and to keep the masses informed.

I still think he's a 8->

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bi-partisanship has been refreshing. And so far, neither side has tried to politicize it. I'd say there's more kudos to be gained on both sides of politics by being seen to be acting constructively in the national interest.

I watched the former ALP treasure Wayne Swan interviewed about this government's handling of the economic effects of this pandemic. He was very supportive, which is refreshingly magnanimous of him, considering how the LNP pilloried him as he managed to protect this country from recession during the 08 crisis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Swanny's OK. THEY did a good job of getting us through the days of the GFC and the world wide economic figures of the time prove it. Swanny was Acclaimed "Worlds Greatest Treasurer" by the top Economic Journals of the time. NEVER mentioned HERE (on Purpose) up until Now when Comparisons are being made as they should, because the same principles apply, BUT this one is even BIGGER and the money goes through businesses. 880.000 so far to GET to individuals so we will see how THAT works. The fine print and exclusions are driving everyone crazy and many who need help won't get it. Some dodgy operators will siphon off the money, as has already started to happen. Nev