Space Stations: Past, Present, And Future

octave

There's a bit of ISS activity coming up in July. The Nauka Multipurpose Laboratory Module will launch and dock to the lower port of the Zvezda module. Reequipping the Proton-M launch complex to accommodate the Nauka has been happening since April at the Baikonur Cosmodrome. In preparation for the arrival of the Nauka, the Pirs module will be undocked and de-orbited with a Progress cargo freighter. The Pirs has occupied the port since 2001.

Octave is right to scoff at those who say " everything has been invented" . In the late 1700's, a US patents office applied to close down for the same reason.

I reckon we are just at the beginning of lots of exciting discoveries. The list of things we don't know is endless...Β  for example, how does memory really work?

13 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

If the USA and China are the only two nations to have sent rovers into space, whatever happened to the Irish rover?

Or that dog on the Good Ship Venus?Β  He couldn't woof for some reason...

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

NASA head Bill Nelson did an interview with Politico this week. He spoke about the long history of space cooperation with Roscosmos since the mid 70's and how it's continued despite political differences between the countries. He expressed the view that Russia will not pull out of the ISS any time soon.

Β 

It comes a few days after Roscosmos head, Dmitry Rogozin, said that Russia will pull out of the ISS in 2024 if the U.S. doesn't lift sanctions on the Russian space programme. Russia is locked in and committed until 2024 but can walk away after that date if they decide to do so. Rogozin is an ex politician and tends to play the politics somewhat, so at this stage, leaving the ISS seems to be just words and not a set plan.

• Informative 1

30 minutes ago, willedoo said:

…Here's a question, do the Chinese call themselves astronauts or do they have an alternative term for it, like the Russian Cosmonauts.

What is a Chinese astronaut called?
Those Soviet and later Russian individuals who travel into space areΒ known as cosmonautsΒ (from the Greek words for β€œuniverse” and β€œsailor”).Β ChinaΒ designates its space travelers taikonauts (from theΒ ChineseΒ word for β€œspace” and the Greek word for β€œsailor”).
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Work is progressing on the Russian space station but it's looking unlikely the Russians will leave the ISS in 2024 when their obligations expire. More likely a year or two overlap. The concept is ready and Roscosmos are talking of the first governmental review of the concept by the end of June. Work is already underway on the first module, a research and power facility. The module was originally intended to be launched to the ISS in 2024. 2025 seems to be the current date for the new station.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Some footage of the latest supply run to the ISS. Progress MS-17 lifted off on a Soyuz-2.1a rocket this morning from Baikonur space centre in Kazakhstan. It's carrying a 2.5 tonne payload of fuel, drinking water, oxygen, clothes, food, medical supplies and maintenance kits.

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

The Progress stays docked until just before the next one arrives. They fill it with waste and de-orbit it to burn up. I'd guess the empty cylinders would be part of the waste. Expensive supplies for sure. It would be interesting to know the full cost of a crewed Soyuz launch as the cargo run would be comparable in price. Non Russian astronauts pay around 8o to 90 million USD per seat, but I don't know how that amount compares to total cost.

The Progress MS-17 freighter is cutting it a bit fine. Tomorrow morning it will have a couple of near misses; the first within 1.5 klm of a Starlink satellite and three minutes later within 500 metres of a fragment of Musk's Falcon 9 rocket.

• Informative 1

20 hours ago, willedoo said:

The Progress MS-17 freighter is cutting it a bit fine. Tomorrow morning it will have a couple of near misses; the first within 1.5 klm of a Starlink satellite and three minutes later within 500 metres of a fragment of Musk's Falcon 9 rocket.

The mathematics that can predict those orbital intersections do my head in,

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

The mathematics that can predict those orbital intersections do my head in,

I don't even bother thinking about the maths, never been able fathom it all out above simple adding and subtracting. It;s lucky we have computers to work these things out ans don't think we'd be able to have space stations without the computers of today.

1 minute ago, Dax said:

I don't even bother thinking about the maths, never been able fathom it all out above simple adding and subtracting. It;s lucky we have computers to work these things out ans don't think we'd be able to have space stations without the computers of today.

Probably true, Dax. It’s impressive to look back at what was achieved without today’s processing power.Β 

The two Voyagers each have ancient reel-too reel tape memory and 4k of RAM. Despite this primitive technology, one of them was reprogrammed from immense distances and they are bothΒ still functioning almost a half century later and beyond the Solar System.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I really admire these incredible space achievements.Β 

But why, when we have all this precision available through modern technology, why, oh why can't they put a shredder or robovac on the front of these spacecraft. Solving the problem of avoiding space trash.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1