From other site...WIND TURBINES

space what "highway code "batteries flat in SA again QLD making money from coal

the con from solar and wind is biting businesses power bills that cant be paid and people losing their jobs neil

Storchy can you please explain what you mean by " batteries flat in SA again"?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil the batteries are not intended to run provide power for extended periods of time they are for GRID STABILISATION and have been very successful.

'All happening very quickly': Tesla battery sends a jolt through energy markets

Elon Musk's Huge Battery in South Australia Made $1 Million in Profit in Just a Few Days

It looks like Tesla's batteries work too fast for South Australia to calculate what they're worth

And my state Victoria is going down the same road just as many other countries are.

Victoria announces launch of two large-scale batteries - Manufacturers' Monthly

Battery storage power station - Wikipedia

"...Renewables Rip-Off: Despite $4 Billion in Annual Subsidies, Wind & Solar Delivers a Trivial 2% of Australia’s Power Demand..."

"...Ex-Nationals senator Ron Boswell wrote in “The Australian” today, (19 April 2018), making the point that the RET is failing us and forcing electricity prices through the roof, putting ordinary folk in energy poverty and destroying businesses..."

Those horey old chestnuts have long since been put to bed, FB.

I'm sure that renewables do enjoy substantial government assistance, as any clean sunrise industry should.

What your side of the argument likes to ignore is the colossal subsidies still enjoyed by fossil fuels- they're not start-ups, but are raking in subsidies of up to $11 billion per year in Australia alone.

Fossil fuel subsidies | Market Forces

Fossil fuel subsidies are a staggering $5 tn per year | John Abraham

America's 'hidden subsidies' for fossil fuels are worth $170 billion a year

Put the blame where it really lies Storchy. If it wasn't Abbott and his ilk wrecking the RETS, we'd have transitioned by now.

Either way power is going to cost more. Yes it will cost to transition, but if we don't transition, it'll cost more to build new coal power stations to replace the old ones reaching the end of their useful life. Meanwhile every other country transitions, the cost of renewables goes down, no one buys coal, and we're stuck with expensive outdated power generation. Not very smart, is it?

bullsssss why in the hell is it abbots fault you brain dead idiots are being missled the blame is on the sheep that are that following gore and co baaa baaaa baaaa

india building coal power for our coal

sounds like some of the so called educated person need a realty check transition to what higher bills that bubble is about to burst

oh by the way what firm is trying to buy a small coal power station in nsw to get enough power to run the company

your solar is the same as bloke using a battery powered angle grinder to cut a railway line or your electric powered car to pull a 30 ft caravan

why don't you look at electric power energy data dash board or is that to hard neil

bullsssss why in the hell is it abbots fault you brain dead idiots are being missled the blame is on the sheep that are that following gore and co baaa baaaa baaaaindia building coal power for our coal

sounds like some of the so called educated person need a realty check transition to what higher bills that bubble is about to burst

oh by the way what firm is trying to buy a small coal power station in nsw to get enough power to run the company

your solar is the same as bloke using a battery powered angle grinder to cut a railway line or your electric powered car to pull a 30 ft caravan

why don't you look at electric power energy data dash board or is that to hard neil

India added more energy capacity from renewables than coal last year

"For the first time ever, India has added more production capacity from renewable energy in a year than from conventional sources like coal.

Between April 2017 and March 2018, the country added around 11,788 megawatts (MW) of renewable energy capacity. That’s more than double of the 5,400 MW of capacity addition in the thermal and hydro power sectors during the same period".

ten years ago peak was 15 CENTS kwh off peak 12 CENTS kwh today peak 39 CENTS kwh off peak 34 CENTS kwh my feed in to grid tariff 71 CENTS kwh thank you very mutch rudd gillard clowns neil

What has been the change in CPI during that period? Private enterprise now owns or controls the majority of energy in Australia and they are earning a profit. Rudd, Gillard etc had nothing to do with the current prices. Besides Rudd and Gillard provided an offset, a refund of the carbon tax, that enabled people to realise the true costs of energy and either pay more or have a case of beer - their choice!!

PS tried to buy a house recently or paid a mortgage or bought some fruit or lamb?

bullsssss why in the hell is it abbots fault you brain dead idiots are being missled the blame is on the sheep that are that following gore and co baaa baaaa baaaaindia building coal power for our coal

NSW power station - Canavan and Alinta are up to no good. It may well be that Alinta is after a guaranteed share of the NSW market and the NSW guaranteed prices. Or they are after a dead duck power station at a dead duck price and probably demand huge subsidies to keep it on line.

N Or they are after a dead duck power station at a dead duck price and probably demand huge subsidies to keep it on line.

Yep, and this brain-dead (to quote Storchy Neil) government would pay those huge subsidies. Why? Blind ideology.

Get a clue and look at the science Neil.... or is that too hard?

well blow me down some criticize the US now they want to drive on the wrong side off the road

coal royalties increased to nearly triple WHEN

your electric power started to increase WHEN

please explain who was the cause of the great push for solar and wind and when

oh and by he way who is trying to buy the small coal fired power station

I repeat cover Victoria in windmills and solar and you may be able to charge a battery

while your at it please explain to me what is the average daily household power consumption or is that to hard neil

That varies depending on your location. There are numerous online calculators available.

For my present location in Queensland, average household consumption is about 13 kWh daily.

For Marty's area, about 20Kwh daily and up to 27Kwh in mid winter- all those clothes dryers!)

But what is your point, Neil?

By the way, at my Tassie home, a basic 3Kw PV array has been producing as much as I consume (for years), and the night time balancing comes from hydro grid power. No coal involved.

...For my present location in Queensland, average household consumption is about 13 kWh daily...

Crickey! That's crazy. We built our place in the 80s and it averages about 4kWh per day. It's not rocket science.

With electrification, people were encouraged to make their homes all electric. They're still building stupid homes on the assumption that the electricity grid will always be cheap and reliable. Dark walls and roofs, windows facing the western sun, little insulation, total reliance on air con...Heating from electricity is very wasteful.

The price mechanism is supposed to promote efficiency. Instead of heeding the signals from rising energy costs, too many people winge and complain until governments subsidise their wasteful lifestyle.

coal royalties increased to nearly triple WHEN

The Henry Review recommended a tax of 40 per cent on what it termed the super-profits of mining companies.

But when Kevin Rudd announced the tax, he met with a massive, well-funded campaign against it from the mining industry.

The final form of the mining tax, adopted under Prime Minister Julia Gillard, is the mineral resource rent tax (MRRT) which is levied on coal and iron ore only and at a much lower rate.

The Federal Government projection was for the tax to raise $3 billion in the first year alone, much of which was allocated and spent in advance.

However, the manner in which companies met the tax requirement, which included write-downs of major asset values, led to only a paltry $200 million being collected so far this year.

And there's a very real chance that much of that will be refunded back to the companies which paid it in advance.

Despite what can only be considered its abject failure, there are no plans by Labor to change the format or criteria of the MRRT.

The politics of the mining tax

I repeat cover Victoria in windmills and solar and you may be able to charge a battery

Whilst wind is not the total solution to powering our country to suggest that you would wind farms all over Victoria to charge a battery is total nonsense. Perhaps you could supply the figures you have used to determine that? Earlier you said "batteries flat in SA again" this was false I went straight to Hornsdale Power Reserve

It is important to understand what the batteries in SA are for. One of the reasons for high prices is that we are somewhat captive to the energy market. The wholesale price for electricity changes in In 30-minute blocks when demand is high the price skyrockets (see graph on the link I have provided) at this point the grid sources its power from the cheapest supply whether it be gas, wind solar coal etc. This high price may only last for 30 minutes and this is where the battery comes in.

As far as average consumption goes, Neil I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Happy to share my average consumption though

[ATTACH]49330._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Costs us about $5 to $6 a day to keep warm or cool cook our meals heat our water run our dishwasher watch tv run 3 computers have as much light as we need and as we are renovating run power tools. When bills get higher then I take action because I am in control of my life. I either look for more power efficient solutions or cut my cloth to suit my budget ie just use less, switch off appliances that do not need to be left on standby etc.

[ATTACH]49329._xfImport[/ATTACH]

bill1.thumb.jpg.f6c002e8d4595beabbda89f049cfd650.jpg

bill2.thumb.jpg.e118a01504678c510263c0fa77b0b972.jpg

OK,

I didn't say that was my personal electricity consumption. Mine (like yours) is way below the average. I never quite understand how it is that most people have power bills two to three times mine. (I don't have solar up here in sunny Queensland)

Also, I fail to understand why they blame power companies (& government) for their extravagant power usage.