From other site...WIND TURBINES

I really want to use the new "HighChill30" refridgerant in my cars, BUT no serviceman will fit it..

MY OLD MUM.S SCOOTER needs new batteries, But i,m not going to use lead acid batteries that last until the warranty has lapsed Then die.

Who will fit the new lii-ion type,.

Even at $500 each they have to be better. But I can.t find a techie anywhere.

spacesailo

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOps

sorry for the misinformation. but mum only made 83, so no longer giving me what for.

I'm Not just "Grandad" But GreatGranDad" to 13, Grandad to 14.

At the moment I'm Baby sitting number 14,who wonders why I ducked outside when a radial engine low wing fighter type aircraft flew over Wellington water tanks &

did a couple of circuits over the town, a couple of hours ago at this posted time. And its 75 years young !

spacesailor

I didn't hear a thing about this DROUGHT But around my daughter's area there not a blade of grass for the animal's, & people are feeding dry feed (hay Lucerne).

Must go outside & take a pic, There should be cattle in the fields.

spacesailor [ATTACH]49297._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]49296._xfImport[/ATTACH]

23060085_Wellington_2018.April.thumb.jpg.897b65c31dd3cfd83e639480057a216c.jpg

1368109455_Home.sweet_Home.thumb.jpg.fe6f8b52973f009a85f7a1186f87f072.jpg

Nobody will invest in it OK. A power station's life is around 50 years. The sums don't add up so some NP genius's want the people to pay for Coal fired ones with their taxes. I can't recall a mandate for that one anywhere.. They also have some problems decommissioning them , and since the designs change spare parts don't exist.. to extend their life .Nev

with in 150 kl of me there is over 3000 thousand hectares of proposed solar set up mostly good grazing or irrigatable land that will be barren

who is the manufacture of the turbines and where are they made

at moment demand for power vic 5076 wind and other 30

just as well ford holden Alcoa steele mills closed down cause they would have to work every third day neil

with in 150 kl of me there is over 3000 thousand hectares of proposed solar set up mostly good grazing or irrigatable land that will be barrenwho is the manufacture of the turbines and where are they made

at moment demand for power vic 5076 wind and other 30

just as well ford holden Alcoa steele mills closed down cause they would have to work every third day neil

Maybe the land will return more money to the farmer as a solar farm than as a rice farm, allowing the farmer to retire with dignity.

Every third day? Day 1 the power will come from Sale, day 2 from Geelong and day 3 from Mildura and if it gets a bit hairy from the Snowy - you never walk alone.

Rice and Cotton grown in the desert. How wrong is that? Australia has a big salination problem. Extensive irrigation and cutting down trees doesn't help. Thin topsoil blown away in dust storms. Manage the place properly or there's not much of a future for it. Nev

Rice and Cotton grown in the desert. How wrong is that? Australia has a big salination problem. Extensive irrigation and cutting down trees doesn't help. Thin topsoil blown away in dust storms. Manage the place properly or there's not much of a future for it. Nev

So true, Nev. Irrigation has caused the demise of many civilizations over the ages and ours is rushing to be next. All over the world modern agriculture is depleting groundwater at an alarming rate.

Most people don't realise how much damage has been done to Australia by dumb land practices. Because of the sheer size of our continent, I suspect there has been an attitude that if we bugger up one part of it, we can just move on and clear some more for farmland. Our current government is beholden to big agriculture; Barnaby was seen to give support to those farmers who were thieving water from their downstream brethren.

BUT

If the power's to be hadn't stopped the super-big dam, in Queeensland, there Should be an abundance of water, everywhere down stream.

What's the difference of burning downed tree's on the river-bank, or pushing them into the creek-bed, after-all it would have been "all under the"carpet" of water.

spacesailor

BUTIf the power's to be hadn't stopped the super-big dam, in Queeensland, there Should be an abundance of water, everywhere down stream...

Big dams have caused many problems worldwide. Ecosystems have been destroyed and whole communities displaced. You don't get anything for nothing. Damming a river reduces the outflow into its estuary; fish stocks plummet. One industry gains, another loses.

...What's the difference of burning downed tree's on the river-bank, or pushing them into the creek-bed, after-all it would have been "all under the"carpet" of water.spacesailor

I don't understand this bit, Spacey.

I think he may be referring to the tree debris that's left in the river. It's for habitat for the Murray Cod etc which are recovering quite well which is encouraging. Hazard to boats and people if they aren't careful. (the submerged trees, not the Cod) Nev

The broken Cable to the mainland and selling hydro when no rain fell later caused that. Those circumstances could not reasonably have been predicted. Had the windfarms in the NW been proceded with it would have been different. . It will happen. A windfarm won't cause as much turbulence as a steep hill Row of trees or a large shed. A doubt a windfarm will ever cause a standing wave. Rows of trees and large sheds big signs near the airport (Like Essendon) cause problems. People run into powerlines because you can't see them and they span valleys. windfarms are easy to see and avoid. The economics are easy to determine. People don't build them if they don't make power cheaply (and they do). How many lives and how much countryside is affected by the various coal mining methods?. That effect lasts forever. Underground water contaminated . Subsidence where underground mining still happens. Peoples health measurably affected for the worse. Increasingly fully automated and most are owned by overseas people who pay NO tax. Glencore as a good example. Nev

• 2 weeks later...
Only an idiot would invest in any industry in this country....with labor, the greens and getup non-stop "lawfare" and union thuggery,why would you bother?

I'm responding to this discussion the "What's up Australia" site, where it should be.

So what's wrong with GetUp? Most of the campaigns I have been part of have saved this country from atrocious or insidious abuses of power by vested interests. If you don't like the direction they are taking you could join in and make a contribution. GetUp might be the most democratic movement we have.

M61A1, depends on what they damage with their "Industry". Re the "usual " people you list who are supposed to be the worst thing about the place, IF they make false claims I'm sure some well heeled person will take them to court and there's NO shortage of Newspapers who will vilify them, constantly. We NEED watchdogs and whistleblowers to expose the rorts. eg the Banks and financial services Royal Commission the Government fought tooth and nail to prevent IF you need a good example. Plenty of people knew this stuff was going on but are powerless to do anything about it.. Look how many employers are paying low wages to run their businesses. Often to young kids in their first job. Those people affected can't afford to buy stuff which eventually leads to a slump or recession. Part time workers can't get loans from a bank to buy things like houses. Nev

"depends on what they damage with their "Industry"

Year's ago Before most laws we take for granted.

ICI were putting Paint residue into a canal, The council tried to legislate against them only to be told "It's cheaper to pay the fine than to truck in away".

Council then Blocked, Drained, & filled said canal, and when the paint pigment backed up their pipes They tried to take council to court but failed.

Big business doesn't always win.

spacesailor

From the Rec Flying site:

So you see why coal is a dead asset, gas powered electricity can be switched on, scaled up and switched off fairly easily whereas you 30-40 year old coal plants aren't designed to be shutdown. Electricity consumption in the middle of the night is encouraged by a whole raft of off peak consumption incentives for things like hot water and street lighting, anything to keep those coal plants from shutting down.

An excellent point, FT. Much of our electricity consumption was designed around the needs of coal-burners. People still heat their bath water with electricity in the middle of the night; incredibly inefficient, when solar water heaters are such a reliable, low-tech solution.

If we gradually adapt our consumption to availability of cheap solar, nighttime electricity demand would plummet.

There are a range of technical and financial variables in the equations for energy generation, storage and despatch. The base generator price of energy is about $63/MWh, during the evening it is about $145/MWh. If there were spare capacity off peak then this could be stored and sold during peak demand. If you had market strength you could demand time of day pricing. The spare capacity is from the sun shining, the wind blowing, the rivers running, any redundant and spare capacity. The incentives are the usual financial ones - you've been paid for your capital, which you usually get out of your daytime and peak demand customers, your operational costs, the costs of inputs and the money you will make selling power back into the grid at the highest price you can get for it. It is becoming evident that the operational costs of renewables is matching or bettering the costs of coal. Will renewables ever replace coal? Hard to tell but with smarts you can minimise the use of coal. What happened in SA, Alinta discovered that coal was unprofitable. What happened to the gas generator - private enterprise couldn't be depended upon to get it back on line. Why did NSW set up the Electricity Commission? Because private enterprise couldn't be trusted not to plunge NSW into blackouts. How have things changed? If you remove the gold plating from the network we might go back to blackouts. Why change the system? Never get between a politician or lawyers and a bucket of cash.

... Why did NSW set up the Electricity Commission? Because private enterprise couldn't be trusted not to plunge NSW into blackouts. How have things changed? If you remove the gold plating from the network we might go back to blackouts. Why change the system? Never get between a politician or lawyers and a bucket of cash.

Australia is just as corrupt as the worst Third World country- it's just hidden a bit better. Too many politicians and senior bureaucrats go straight from the public payroll on to an exorbitant "consultant" salary helping private capital get its hands on public assets and subsidies.