Fave Aussie Music

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 21/02/2022 at 7:01 AM, Jerry_Atrick said:

Blimey.. I haven't heard this for... eons...

OK this is a shameless name drop. 

The fellow on the left is a fellow called Martin Armiger (sadly no longer with us).  I became aware of him when he moved to the small town I lived in (Braidwood NSW),  I had never heard of the Sports but his surname was familiar.   It turns out that he was the son of the musical director from the theatre group my parents were involved with in the early 70s.   We eventually met and became friendly (not besties or anything but invited to his house lunch a few times).     

Martin was hugely talented and probably one of the kindest people I have ever met.  I remember over lunch he showed me a composition he was working on for the ABC and asked me what I thought about the woodwind parts.   I am sure he could got a better opinion than mine but I think he just loved talking music and he certainly treated me like an equal.    In our town we used to organize a yearly classical music concert and I remember performing and  I spotted him in the audience, I could see his head bobbing up and down  as I played and after the concert he came up keen to discuss the piece I played.  On in a later concert my ensemble played with his wife and during one of or rehearsals he sat in and gave some great feedback.  He was also very kind to my son who was learning the violin at the time.

More recently I have worked with young musicians who studied under him when he ran the Australian Film and Television School and they all spoke very highly of him.  He did a lot of work for the ABC composing for miniseries, films and even the ABC news theme.  He also was a record producer  My mother is still friends with his mother.   It is quite sad the passed away at a relatively young age

https://radioinfo.com.au/news/vale-musician-martin-armiger/

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

I know they are technically from our most south eastern state, I had the pleasure of watching Crowded House live 2 weeks ago.

my wife has always knocked me liking them, but after seeing them live she is a bit of a convert. After they finished up at the Opera house I never thought I would get to see them play. 
Their music still sounds great after 30 odd years.

• Like 3

On 29/4/2022 at 6:59 PM, ClintonB said:

I know they are technically from our most south eastern state, I had the pleasure of watching Crowded House live 2 weeks ago.

my wife has always knocked me liking them, but after seeing them live she is a bit of a convert. After they finished up at the Opera house I never thought I would get to see them play…

My kid and her friend were in Sydney for the School Spectacular on that same night. They desperately wanted to bunk off from their dance group and sneak down to the Opera House, but chickened out…and regretted it ever after.

Later we told our kid she should have gone!

• Like 2

Claim to fame alert: Apparently a house I rented in Melbourne last time I lived there used to be one of the Finn brother's house.. Was a bog standard 3br brick house.. Californian Bungalow style...

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

A forum friend from Indiana (he's a real Hoosier, culturally - he loves Trump and Country music, and is slightly to the right of Ghenghis Khan, politically) sent me a link to his local Country music station that streams on the 'net. It's a pretty laid-back station, but listening to Country music constantly isn't my thang. I'm an old Rocker, '60's to the 80's Rock gets me going.

As a follow through to find something to send him with an Aussie flavour, I went looking for Australian radio streaming sites. I was staggered to find dozens and dozens of them!

They not only stream Australian radio stations - they stream from around the world - and they also have links to pure music streaming sites, which are ad-free, and relatively talk free!

I love this find! I've hardly listened to radio or music for the last 25 years, because my hearing has been totally shot for that long. But modern hearing aids help out a fair bit - although it's not the same as good normal hearing. Here's a great find for me - the streaming music site, "Totally Radio 60's"!

https://www.radio-australia.org/totally-radio-60s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a song by a bloke I worked with in the Crime Scene Unit 30 years ago. In 2015, he and his brother won tickets in a ballot to attend the centenary remembrance ceremony of the Gallipoli Landing, and then to visit the battlefields of Western Europe. It's not a lament in the way of Redgum's "I was only 19". It's a call to the younger generation to go to these places; run fingers through the sands of the beach at Gallipoli and show respect and gratitude to their forebears who volunteered for the task of defending the Right to Freedom of others.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/02/2023 at 9:46 PM, Old Koreelah said:

Wife has a family connection to this bloke; sorry she couldn’t send me a link to the impressive outdoor performance, but here is the studio version:

https://youtu.be/w1zakvWf970

I forgot to mentioon earlier.. my kids (16 and 20) love this.. and, so do I...

Not so hot on his rendition of We're the Voice...

This fella has talent, though..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...